Recommendation for a Free to Play game?

Started by acctingman, December 04, 2016, 02:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinetree

Desert War 1940-43. Wego operational game. Haven't played it yet but looks pretty good.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Pete Dero

https://club.ubisoft.com/en-GB/ubi30

Today it still is Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon for free.

One of the next days (12/7 ?) you can get Assassins Creed III for free on the same site.  (both require Uplay)

Free versions of Steel Panthers WW2 and Main Battle Tank

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/WW2/WW2_page.html

Free version of Steel Panthers World at War

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1713246

Hartford688

World of Warships

I have a bloated Steam/Gog/Uplay/Origin list yet I keep coming back to this.

In theory good for just a 15 minute or 30 minute session, I can find hours disappear.

I've played huge amounts and not needed to pay to have fun.

(In fact I'd be glad to pay given all the fun I've had, but the premium ships are so ridiculously overpriced I've never bitten, even though I am a Warspite fanboy)

Big hard drive footprint however, if that is an issue.

Is Neverwinter Nights Diamond still free on GoG?

Also Assassins Creed 3 free on Uplay on Wednesday if that is your thing...

Tuna

Quote from: Hartford688 on December 05, 2016, 05:11:34 AM
World of Warships

I have a bloated Steam/Gog/Uplay/Origin list yet I keep coming back to this.

In theory good for just a 15 minute or 30 minute session, I can find hits disappear.

I've played huge amounts and not needed to pay to have fun.

(In fact I'd be glad to pay given all the fun I've had, but the premium ships are so ridiculously overpriced I've never bitten, even though I am a Warspite fanboy)

If you want to support the developers, but not pay a ton for Premium ships, then buy some doubloons now and then (you set the price you want to spend).

But I second this, World of Warships is a Blast, and you can totally play for free if you want to.

Hartford688

Quote from: Tuna on December 05, 2016, 07:38:19 AM

If you want to support the developers, but not pay a ton for Premium ships, then buy some doubloons now and then (you set the price you want to spend).

Yes, think I'll definitely do that. They deserve some $$$ for bringing me this much fun!

Will get more $ if they provide me with British BBs as well!

acctingman

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions!

I think my problem is that I need to step away from my PC and find other interests. Right now, I'm enjoying painting WW2 mini's and some table top gaming.

Freyland

Will add "Unturned" on Steam.  My kids seem to enjoy it, and I have every intention of getting around to trying it if Life ever allows.

Also, pretty f'ing impressive for a single 16 year old boy developer.

Father Ted

The base game for Command Ops2 is free, and I think you get one or two tutorial scenarios.  There's a similar deal with Order of Battle WW2.

Nefaro

Quote from: Hartford688 on December 05, 2016, 09:29:32 AM
Quote from: Tuna on December 05, 2016, 07:38:19 AM

Yes, think I'll definitely do that. They deserve some $$$ for bringing me this much fun!

Will get more $ if they provide me with British BBs as well!

You can use them for a few handy things.  I tend to use it to instantly retrain experienced captains when I move them to a new ship.  Plus some 'Premium' subscription time for when I'll be playing quite a bit.  Don't really need to, but it makes advancement a little faster.

Hartford688

Quote from: Nefaro on December 05, 2016, 12:16:51 PM

You can use them for a few handy things.  I tend to use it to instantly retrain experienced captains when I move them to a new ship. 

Good suggestion. I just got the Farragut last night, and training up my Nicholas captain will take 18,500xp...ouch!

Shelldrake

Quote from: Hartford688 on December 05, 2016, 12:25:58 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 05, 2016, 12:16:51 PM

You can use them for a few handy things.  I tend to use it to instantly retrain experienced captains when I move them to a new ship. 

Good suggestion. I just got the Farragut last night, and training up my Nicholas captain will take 18,500xp...ouch!

Retraining goes pretty fast if you add Dragon and Command XP flags to a 2-3X weekend. :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Daroc

Quote from: DennisS on December 04, 2016, 06:19:02 PM
Open TTD..voted by many groups as THE best free game available. Train sim..and very deep one at that.

Website says have to own Transport Tycoon Deluxe to use the openware game....