Star Trek Bridge Crew

Started by Jarhead0331, May 31, 2017, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Seriously...how did this thread turn out this way?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2017, 11:06:16 AM

Because this is how they all turn out?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2017, 10:54:27 AM
Quote from: bbmike on May 31, 2017, 10:48:22 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2017, 10:12:05 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/app/527100/Star_Trek_Bridge_Crew/

I am not really a Star Trek fan, but this may be the most immersive enjoyable VR experience I've had to date. Definitely worth picking up VR gear to experience.

Please tell me you prefer the TOS bridge.

Nah. I much prefer the more modern one. Sorry. The TOS bridge controls look like a faux jewelry consignment sale.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Tpek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2017, 10:19:10 AM
Quote from: mirth on May 31, 2017, 10:13:45 AM
Does it have green Orion slave women?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/26/virtual-reality-sexual-harassment-online-groping-quivr

"At first it was okay, he was just trying to brutally and viciously murder me and flay me alive with dark magic.
But then it became unbearable when he casually move a digital representation of a hand near a digital representation of the body of the character I play, and I felt so powerless".
::)

mirth

Couldn't she virtually kick him in the balls?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Tpek

"I felt so powerless... there was nothing I could do save asking him to stop, Easily killing his distracted character with my spells, weapons and skills,
kicking him off the game and not playing with him anymore, or replying him in kind... I was so powerless."

OJsDad

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2017, 11:06:16 AM

As many years as you've been hanging around this crew, you shouldn't be surprised by how fast or what direction this thread has gone. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

We've boldly gone where we've gone many times before.

Sir Slash

The Green Orion Slave Girls are all free now. And I hear they only turn green when they're VERY close.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

spelk

I am not really a Star Trek fan, but this may be the most immersive enjoyable VR experience I've had to date. Definitely worth picking up VR gear to experience.

Seems more like a VR tech demo than a VR Star Trek experience. You probably need to play Star Trek Online for the full ST experience... VR not withstanding. ;)

https://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2017/5/29/15703172/star-trek-bridge-crew-preview

and I quote:

"Despite its grand vistas, Star Trek: Bridge Crew comes across more like a simple mobile game than a full virtual reality simulation of space combat and exploration."

and the after co-op updated version of the review:

"Despite its grand vistas, Star Trek: Bridge Crew comes across more like a sterile demo than a full virtual reality simulation of space combat and exploration"

This is all music to my ears, because in order for me to experience this in VR it would involve a purchase of £400+ equipment to play something close to a mobile game or tech demo. I've gotten 8+ months of Star Trek fuelled gaming from STO and have really enjoyed that.. at a fraction of the cost.

Two points:

1) You need to have bought into VR already, to have afforded the equipment
2) You need to have a crew of serious ST mates to play it with

Even then, it probably won't deliver any of the exceptional things a Star Trek title should.

It is basically waving your arms around, and pushing buttons. Admittedly on the deck of a 3d visualised Starship. But, alas we're not there. Price wise. Experience wise. I wish we were.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: spelk on May 31, 2017, 04:42:06 PM

Seems more like a VR tech demo than a VR Star Trek experience. You probably need to play Star Trek Online for the full ST experience... VR not withstanding. ;)

https://www.polygon.com/virtual-reality/2017/5/29/15703172/star-trek-bridge-crew-preview

and I quote:

"Despite its grand vistas, Star Trek: Bridge Crew comes across more like a simple mobile game than a full virtual reality simulation of space combat and exploration."

and the after co-op updated version of the review:

"Despite its grand vistas, Star Trek: Bridge Crew comes across more like a sterile demo than a full virtual reality simulation of space combat and exploration"

This is all music to my ears, because in order for me to experience this in VR it would involve a purchase of £400+ equipment to play something close to a mobile game or tech demo. I've gotten 8+ months of Star Trek fuelled gaming from STO and have really enjoyed that.. at a fraction of the cost.

Two points:

1) You need to have bought into VR already, to have afforded the equipment
2) You need to have a crew of serious ST mates to play it with

Even then, it probably won't deliver any of the exceptional things a Star Trek title should.

It is basically waving your arms around, and pushing buttons. Admittedly on the deck of a 3d visualised Starship. But, alas we're not there. Price wise. Experience wise. I wish we were.

Suffice it to say, I disagree with the review you have posted, but since its telling you what you want to hear, I guess you can run with it.

218 user reviews on Steam. 211 are positive.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

500 quatloos on the newcomer!

jomni

Pretty interesting.  Is it story based?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jomni on May 31, 2017, 07:03:01 PM
Pretty interesting.  Is it story based?

Yes. There is a campaign and then you can also play in a mode that generates random encounters.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog