Star Trek Bridge Crew

Started by Jarhead0331, May 31, 2017, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on June 01, 2017, 07:41:43 AM
Quote from: Toonces on May 31, 2017, 10:14:32 PM
I don't want to ask what TOS is.

Just assume I know it somehow opposes whatever the other kind of Star Trek is.  I'm a warfare theorist, that works for me.

Close. TOS is the only Star Trek. There is nothing else. Except DS9. And bits of TNG.

I thought TOS  meant "the original series".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 01, 2017, 08:15:52 AM

Just assume I know it somehow opposes whatever the other kind of Star Trek is.  I'm a warfare theorist, that works for me.

Close. TOS is the only Star Trek. There is nothing else. Except DS9. And bits of TNG.

It does.

Ian C

gameleaper

Quote from: Ian C on June 01, 2017, 09:02:22 AM
Quote from: jomni on June 01, 2017, 04:58:03 AM
Quote from: Ian C on June 01, 2017, 03:32:03 AM
Can we play VR games without a VR helmet?

Answer https://steamcommunity.com/app/518580/discussions/0/333656722964595491/

800 bucks for a PC VR Helmet??!!

I'm not playing that to get a 3D migraine.

If you already have a playstation 4, you can get the VR setup for £350 , I know Star trek was being made for PS4 aswell probably out, but check, The gear isn't as good as oculas but not bad, so if you have PS4 your ok. I have seen an oculas and played VR Regata on steam, it was phenominal you can sail boats and its like real, I got told what VR was and seen it on TV, but you cant be told you have to see it.

Bison

New technology.  Give it a couple of years and it'll be cheaper.  I'm not going to buy into the VR however. 

mirth

Have you bought into regular reality?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Quote from: mirth on June 01, 2017, 09:28:03 AM
Have you bought into regular reality?

Well I reject structuralism, so yes I accept reality.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on June 01, 2017, 09:26:01 AM
New technology.  Give it a couple of years and it'll be cheaper.  I'm not going to buy into the VR however.

It is undeniably the future of PC and console gaming and definitely the future of recreation and entertainment. The technology will mature and be refined, but if you're refusing to buy into VR then you should be prepared to give up the hobby. The technology and experience is so revolutionary it is definitely more than a gimmick or passing phase.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

He'll still have his euro games.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

My issues with VR are philosophical and not really the point of this thread.  I don't disagree with JH that VR will become more prominent in time.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on June 01, 2017, 10:22:28 AM
My issues with VR are philosophical and not really the point of this thread.  I don't disagree with JH that VR will become more prominent in time.

Ahhhhhhhh....this could be an interesting discussion. I can see philosophical apprehension with the technology, but its no different than anything else. In moderation, I don't see a problem.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 01, 2017, 08:15:52 AM

Close. It means "the old stuff". Except not "stuff".

>:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

Phantom

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 01, 2017, 10:01:15 AM
Quote from: Bison on June 01, 2017, 09:26:01 AM

It is undeniably the future of PC and console gaming and definitely the future of recreation and entertainment. The technology will mature and be refined, but if you're refusing to buy into VR then you should be prepared to give up the hobby. The technology and experience is so revolutionary it is definitely more than a gimmick or passing phase.

I do agree that the concept of VR has huge potential, and not just in gaming, but I wouldn't buy into it just yet - as I don't think that a clunky headset with eye damaging screens is the future - no-one ever indulged in technology that made them look silly - look how 3D cinema has spectacularly failed to catch on.  I understand MS are working on a next generation (no pun intended) VR system that projects externally - now that is VR I would buy into.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Phantom on June 01, 2017, 02:00:57 PM

I do agree that the concept of VR has huge potential, and not just in gaming, but I wouldn't buy into it just yet - as I don't think that a clunky headset with eye damaging screens is the future - no-one ever indulged in technology that made them look silly - look how 3D cinema has spectacularly failed to catch on.  I understand MS are working on a next generation (no pun intended) VR system that projects externally - now that is VR I would buy into.

Eye damaging? Whatch' you talkin' 'bout Willis?

The "external" projection you are referring to is called "augmented reality". Its totally different.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog