Main Menu

Infested Planet

Started by spelk, June 26, 2013, 05:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

I've supported this indie game when it first come out, and it doesn't seem to draw much attention, and I'm not sure why.

Its a real time squad based top down action strategy game, whereby you manage a 5 man squad of space marines in caverns full of alien bugs. You have to progress through these caverns and destroy and capture the alien hives. You also get to upgrade your marines and specialize in different weaponry. There are also defensive structures like turrets and mines, and grenades to blow holes in bug nests.

Over the years, it just keeps getting better and better. Just fired it up again, after a long spell away and the artwork and effects have come on since I played it upon initial release.

http://www.rocketbeargames.com/infestedplanet/index.html

Its still considered in "beta" but its been very playable from the day I bought it back in June 2011!

I suppose the downside is that its real time micromanagement, but its usually slow-ish pace, and its no more a hassle than the likes of Relic's Dawn of War stuff.

Anyway, give it a look over...

Its got a Starship Troopers vibe.

bbmike

I also bought the beta when this first came out. I never heard any more from it and assumed it was vaporware. How do you update the game?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

spelk

Quote from: bbmike on June 26, 2013, 05:11:18 PM
I also bought the beta when this first came out. I never heard any more from it and assumed it was vaporware. How do you update the game?

I think you can still download it from the original link you got. The dev just updates the download file.

I think if you have trouble with the link, the dev Alex Vostrov (support@rocketbeargames.com) will reset the expiry date on it. Its only a single guy coding it in his bedroom I think.

I keep an eye on his blog, to see whats happening with Infested Planet.

http://www.indiebird.com/blog/

He's working on the new updates to the game. And it looks even betterer!!!

http://www.indiebird.com/blog/?p=1297

spelk

Slightly necro-posting this, but since Infested Planet has now been souped up considerably, and is now available on Steam I thought it would be ok to revive this a bit.

James Allen video reviews it..

Jarhead0331

+1. This is an excellent little game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

Sorry for the huge thread necro but Infested Planet is on sale this week on Steam for $3.74.  Going to have to check it out at that price.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw