Unity of Command II - Steam Link and Q3 2019 release

Started by CJReich46, February 28, 2019, 01:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Emir Agic

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 13, 2019, 03:54:45 PM
Steel division 2 I presume

Yes, it could be. Didn't cross my mind as SD2 is hardly comparable with UoC. However, I understand that under time and money constraints we have to make decisions about what to play next.

LoganismyHERO

Quote from: Emir Agic on November 13, 2019, 04:25:33 PM

Yes, it could be. Didn't cross my mind as SD2 is hardly comparable with UoC. However, I understand that under time and money constraints we have to make decisions about what to play next.

Sorry, that was me. I won't interject my pathetic money issues anymore  O0

MengJiao

Quote from: Ian C on November 13, 2019, 11:38:46 AM
Supply planning has tripped me up a few times and the AI has caused me to swear out loud. Good to see games of this depth.

It has its moments.  Here the British 78th Infantry Division drives for Tunis after a reinforced 8th army to the south delivers the first blow.  I thought the 78th was doomed and I was right, though the division got all the way to Tunis before being wiped out:

FlickJax

Quote from: MengJiao on November 13, 2019, 06:12:03 PM
Supply planning has tripped me up a few times and the AI has caused me to swear out loud. Good to see games of this depth.

It has its moments.  Here the British 78th Infantry Division drives for Tunis after a reinforced 8th army to the south delivers the first blow.  I thought the 78th was doomed and I was right, though the division got all the way to Tunis before being wiped out:

In the Beta I struggled like hell on this mission, but then i wasnt spending all my points... only realised just as beta was ending.

MengJiao

Quote from: FlickJax on November 14, 2019, 05:25:10 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 13, 2019, 06:12:03 PM

In the Beta I struggled like hell on this mission, but then i wasnt spending all my points... only realised just as beta was ending.

With the campaign on Easy, I got through this first one okay with 50 points to get set-piece assaults for the US II Corp and the rest on steps for everybody.  There's a lot of variation in strengths and perks and getting through Wadi Akrit can be tricky.

Ian C

It's been a long time since I played unity of command (and I forgot), so it's worth mentioning that you can add reinforcements during play via the HQ and also buy reinforcements and attachments during the pre-battle phase.

The latest patch also adds a new tutorial for HQs which is vital to understanding how to win battles using the HQ features.

Yskonyn

Is this game much like Panzer General, where once you know the order of which units to move when the scenario is 'solved'?
How is replayability of the game? Any quick battles or random battles?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Bardolph

I picked it up in spite of having bounced off the first game almost immediately. Played through the four tutorials, which were a bit vague in places but I got through them. Turned it off, went and played some Hell Let Loose but was thinking about things I should have tried and ended up firing it back up and playing the first campaign mission (normal difficulty) which I lost by 1 movement point from the objective though I had no idea what I was doing most of the time. This put me right at the 2 hour mark for Steam refund but I think I'm keeping it. Already planning to RTFM and try that first scenario again ;)

Reminds me a bit of Battle Academy but at a larger scale and I am a fan of Battle Academy's presentation and ease of play while still having meat to it. My tolerance for games that confuse complicated rules and rivet counting for "realism" is waning. This seems to get the broad ideas right. I was working to get breakthroughs and encircling enemy units, cutting off their supply and overrunning supply dumps and displacing HQ's but they were quick to try and break out of those encirclements and cut off my forward units when they could. It certainly wasn't a walk. And I was unable in the end to push that last hex to the objective due to my armor unit being out of supply thanks to enemy action.

One minor complaint is you left click the map and drag to move it, but if you have a unit selected it will sometimes instead move that unit and you cannot always undo a move if you discover new enemy or run into a ZOC. Got me a couple times last night.

Ian C

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 14, 2019, 10:31:15 AM

There is the main campaign, a scenario editor (not for quick use, more a modding tool) and also these single battles:

4th Cassino
Advance To Antwerp
Avalanche
Battle of the Bulge
Belfort Gap
Battle of the Bocage
Colmar Pocket
Dragoon
Gothic Line
Hurtgen
Husky
Ljubljana Gap
Lorraine
Lumberjack & Undertone
Market Garden
Monte Cassino
Normandy Breakout
Overlord
Po Valley
Roads From Rome
Race Across France
Rhin et Danube
Plunder
Road From Rimini
Rush for the Apennines
Scheldt
End at the Elbe
Tunis
Veritable and Grenade
Volturno Line
Wadi Akarit

rocketman

Quote from: Ian C on November 14, 2019, 11:53:08 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on November 14, 2019, 10:31:15 AM

There is the main campaign, a scenario editor (not for quick use, more a modding tool) and also these single battles:

4th Cassino
Advance To Antwerp
Avalanche
Battle of the Bulge
Belfort Gap
Battle of the Bocage
Colmar Pocket
Dragoon
Gothic Line
Hurtgen
Husky
Ljubljana Gap
Lorraine
Lumberjack & Undertone
Market Garden
Monte Cassino
Normandy Breakout
Overlord
Po Valley
Roads From Rome
Race Across France
Rhin et Danube
Plunder
Road From Rimini
Rush for the Apennines
Scheldt
End at the Elbe
Tunis
Veritable and Grenade
Volturno Line
Wadi Akarit
Is the set up the same every time in each scenario or does it depend on how the previous one ended? It affects replayability I guess.

Skoop

Quote from: Emir Agic on November 13, 2019, 04:25:33 PM

I'd say it is due to the strategy layer added to SD2.  Having played both it isn't a far off statement.

Ian C

Quote from: rocketman on November 14, 2019, 01:03:15 PM

Is the set up the same every time in each scenario or does it depend on how the previous one ended?

The single missions listed above are played 'as is' with an historical OOB.

The main campaign has persistent units that grow in experience and can be reinforced/expanded via the campaign play, in the pre-battle/setup phase.

al_infierno

Also, the scenarios feel more open than the first game.  The Sicily map is a good example since you start with landing crafts and paratroopers in planes off the coast and choose where to deploy them.  Once you've taken some ground, you can use supply trucks to set up your own depots, so you don't necessarily need to rush to capture a major supply point in the first turn or whatever.  The inclusion of landing craft and paratroopers is a really nice substitute for custom unit placement, at least for the scenarios that utilize them (I assume Overlord will as well but I haven't gotten there yet.)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

Sounds like a lot of game for the money. And the comparisons to Battle Academy and Panzer Corps makes me swoon, as I like both very much.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd