Introducing TASK FORCE ADMIRAL Vol.1: American Carrier Battles

Started by The_Admiral, October 11, 2019, 12:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millipede

Thanks for the response Admiral. Of course, that leads to more questions... aside from the patterns painted on the decks, why green?

Is it my imagination or some sort of weird perspective in the above image but does the Akagi have a crown at the central elevator with a slight downward slope towards both the bow and the stern?

What's the story with the islands being placed on opposite sides of the flight deck?

Finally, I can't get over how gorgeous those carriers are. It seems a bit of a shame that I hope to spend a fair amount of time trying to destroy them.  :hide:

Vintage Dude

They are beautiful but they make me feel itchy. So I want to say "scratch one flattop". 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Millipede on March 26, 2020, 11:39:38 AM

What's the story with the islands being placed on opposite sides of the flight deck?

Japanese engineers thought that by moving the island to the opposite side of the ship, it would create more stable airflows over the surface to aid planes taking off and landing.  It didn't work.

The_Admiral

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 26, 2020, 08:00:08 PM
Quote from: Millipede on March 26, 2020, 11:39:38 AM

Japanese engineers thought that by moving the island to the opposite side of the ship, it would create more stable airflows over the surface to aid planes taking off and landing.  It didn't work.

Yes indeed. The whole island thing - intimately linked to the choice to make the funnels like they were - was a mess.
These were way too small (and ridiculously so for Kaga & Soryu), unable to provide any useful space that would be otherwise used for aviators, admiral quarters, intelligence needs, deck repair parties, air planning, etc... In the end these spaces that didn't exist over the deck had to be put under the deck, cramming further the guts of the ship - something they couldn't allow considering they went for double hangar decks in all the designs, Ryujo included. No hope to put a heavy armored deck on top of this either - the main deck is under the hangar, not over it, and they were certainly sufficiently top-heavy like that. Man, in retrospect these fat Japanese CV might look cute, but they mostly managed to accumulate all the worst aspects of the UK & US designs without implementing any of their best practices.

British CVs were probably one of the best designs there is to have wartime considering their situation - while the initial weaknesses of the US designs being largely compensated by their great number, resilience, deck park practices and the USN overall "make-do" spirit. It's just too bad that the flying arm of the FAA proper was so lacking in terms of high performing planes early on. I would love to see how a Kido Butai made of British-type CVs carrying Japanese carrier planes would behave against an American Task Force in 1942. At some point I might indulge in this kind of dreadful sins... But, well, history comes first.

QuoteIs it my imagination or some sort of weird perspective in the above image but does the Akagi have a crown at the central elevator with a slight downward slope towards both the bow and the stern?
No, you have a good eye, it's not your imagination. Akagi had the forward part of her flight deck angled downwards to help with the speed for planes taking off - same thing on the other side, to help with landings. The good news is that the system works too when you're landing the other way around. Let's say it's a good idea stemming from the few openings allowed by her otherwise rather poor overall design.

Quoteaside from the patterns painted on the decks, why green?
Well, no idea - probably that it would blend well enough with the see around to give a confusing picture. On the side (it's not as visible) a darker area was painted too to make them look smaller and shorter. In both cases I don't find the result very convincing, but they certainly had style!

QuoteFinally, I can't get over how gorgeous those carriers are. It seems a bit of a shame that I hope to spend a fair amount of time trying to destroy them.
Well, you know, like Vintage Dude would say in a war bonds fashion, "Scratch an itch, scratch one flattop!"  :peace:

The_Admiral

In the latest news, we've been busy reworking the old lady that is USS Yorktown. She was our very first 3D model, and she needed a good refit to be put up to speed. There she is - and we went the extra mile to provide her with pretty nice guts, if I dare say.

It is all mostly eye candy, you're not expected to walk around the place, but American carriers being known for being very "open" on the sides we needed to make sure that their "inner beauty" would be preserved  :coolsmiley:
Don't ask me if we will see little sailors run around. Time will tell ;)

The_Admiral

Hi boys!
Hi girls!
Anybody feels like having a piece of our latest update? Feel free to bite a good chunk, there's more where that came from... :smitten:

https://drydockdreams.games/2020/04/02/tropical-inceptions/

Have a nice ride!  8)

steve58

Thanks for the update Admiral!  This one might actually make me divide my gaming time between this and WOWS.  Stay safe/healthy.

(p.s.  Gonna guess Matrixgames is/will be the publisher)
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

hellfish6

I love those interior renders. And that air ops prototype was brilliant - holy moly that was nice to watch.

The_Admiral

QuoteThanks for the update Admiral!  This one might actually make me divide my gaming time between this and WOWS.  Stay safe/healthy.
Thanks for the kind words Steve. Well, soon enough you might also want to divide your gaming time between WoWs, us... AND THE LATEST GAME FROM KILLERFISH THAT GOT ANNOUNCED THIS MORNING  :bd:

Great days we're living in, aren't we ;)

Quote(p.s.  Gonna guess Matrixgames is/will be the publisher)
I can't say much more - but it wouldn't be much of a paradigm shift if so, wouldn't you think ;)
(And thanks for reading the update to the end. You're a good man! O0)

QuoteI love those interior renders. And that air ops prototype was brilliant - holy moly that was nice to watch.
Thanks Fish! Happy to know that some can see what's happening under the hood with this video. Baby steps, but steps nonetheless  \m/

em2nought

Never had any idea aircraft could be stored that way in the hangar, or that they had "U" shaped steel beams they could run the aircraft tail wheel out on when on the deck.  I bet that was kinda a sketchy operation.  We used to have to raise heavy masts on LCMs that were converted to ferries and it was always sketchy.  Looked kinda like raising the flag on Mount Suribachi.
Stolen elections have consequences.

steve58

Quote from: The_Admiral on April 02, 2020, 11:39:49 PM
Quote(p.s.  Gonna guess Matrixgames is/will be the publisher)
I can't say much more - but it wouldn't be much of a paradigm shift if so, wouldn't you think ;)
(And thanks for reading the update to the end. You're a good man! O0)

#:-)  Reading is so overrated
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tripoli

Quote from: em2nought on April 03, 2020, 01:09:10 PM
Never had any idea aircraft could be stored that way in the hangar, or that they had "U" shaped steel beams they could run the aircraft tail wheel out on when on the deck.  I bet that was kinda a sketchy operation.  We used to have to raise heavy masts on LCMs that were converted to ferries and it was always sketchy.  Looked kinda like raising the flag on Mount Suribachi.

It was a method for maximizing the number of spare aircraft onboard.  Wargaming at the NWC in the 1928-1935 era showed that aircraft losses would be high, so a carrier needed to have a lot of  aircraft spares.  The carriers designed in this era were included provisions for keeping nearly ready spares triced up in the hanger overheads.  However, when the USS Wasp was torpedoed, the spares came crashing down on fueled aircraft in the hanger bay, puncturing their gas tanks.  The resulting fires were uncontrollable, and resulted in the loss of the ship.  I believe tricing the aircraft in the overheads stopped shortly thereafter. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

The_Admiral

Aye, Tripoli is right - although the practice wasn't discontinued before the new 1943 instructions came online. At that time the sheer number of decks made it less efficient & more risky than it was worth. During the remainder of the Guadalcanal campaign though, the few decks available had to be packed, and one of the most ridiculous situations was probably Hornet's ordeal at Santa Cruz if I remember well. That ship was packed full all the way to her eyes, with every bit of overhead area crowded with a plane.
Arguably it was also a more complicated affair in 1942 than it was later on - the SBD makes more the majority of the plane park, and it happens to be the only one without folding wings. Right now we're in the process of trying different configurations about our Yorktown model, and I can tell you the actual capacity of the hangar is a joke. :uglystupid2:

Even in such a configuration, we're still at 25 SBDs max. We might be able to stretch it a tad bit, but gosh isn't it super tight already. Our new CV-5 model (that you have seen already) is being integrated and will allow for a more accurate distribution, but even then, I expect it to be very very tight. It means that folding wings planes have actually to be prioritize for hangar space, and SBDs should be mainly on the flight deck park (where wings are not subject to the rule of hangar walls) with outriggers used as much as possible, otherwise even the average Midway plane count is just a wet dream. :buck2:

Btw Tripoli, had your mail, will get a reply out for you later today - sorry about that  ::)

The_Admiral

Now there's that one ship, you might have heard of her.😇

She went down exactly 75 years & a few hours ago.

Even though people knew her as a ferocious monster or a very expensive floating resort, one can say that although it failed at delivering the Imperial Japanese Navy with a decisive weapon, High Command still nailed the marketing - after all, she delivered us with a very acceptable anime series & fanboys are still drooling over her 18 inchers decades afterwards.😅

Ladies & gentlemen, I introduce you to Lady Yamato, in her 1945 garment (but don't worry, the proper 1942 outfit - and her sister Musashi's own configuration - will be available soon too)!
Of course, useful to war effort like a dead brick worth 70.000 tons of steel, but hey. Judging by her popularity, awesomeness is a currency better suited to our days of peace, I'd say!