IL-2 Sturmovik Joystick

Started by solops, March 02, 2020, 12:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

I just got IL-2 Sturmovik and I am having hardware problems with it. I have not played a game that requires a joystick in 10+ years except for X3 and X Rebirth. I did buy a joystick a few years ago (Saitek ST290 Pro) for that game and it works fine.

Il-2 does not "see" my joystick. It is totally non-responsive. Windows shows it as installed and functioning. Is this a Steam or IL-2 issue or does the game just hate my joystick?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

W8taminute

That's weird.  I'm using the Saitek Logitek Extreme 3D Pro without issue. 

(https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-3D-Pro-Joystick-Windows/dp/B00009OY9U/ref=asc_df_B00009OY9U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242012519199&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=96917337146361849&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002353&hvtargid=pla-365326647739&psc=1)

I did have a bit of trouble trying to get it to recognize the hat switch for turning my head in the cockpit but eventually figured it out.  Not sure why the game doesn't see your joystick.  Do you plug it in before starting the game?  I find that if I don't do that and try plugging in the joystick after the game launches it won't see it.

Edit I just realized that I'm using the Logitek not Saitek joystick.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

DoctorQuest

Have you mucked around with the IL-2 settings? It is just possible that IL-2 may not "see" your joystick by default. You may need to tell it you want to use the joystick as your primary controller.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

solops

I muddled about with it a bit. I'll try again. I did check and it still works great with X3. X Rebirth did not like it much, but it was responsive. And yes, it was installed prior to launching the game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

OK, this confirms what I have been telling my wife for years. Decades, even. I am a GENIUS. I looked back through the setting (did not actually change anything) and restarted the game. Joystick works great. Easy!

I have No Clue as to what I did or what the problem was. Thanks for the support.

W8taminute

The old restart the game trick.  Works everytime.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

DoctorQuest

"Did you turn it off and back on again?"
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MC

I usually just shut down the main breaker in the house. In other words, reboot the whole house and it usually works. However, I am wondering if I am taking it a step too far?   :-\

solops

No. You are just being thorough.