Main Menu

Total War Series

Started by Gusington, January 26, 2020, 01:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I feel your pain.  I so wanted that mod to work but in the end it turned out to be too buggy.

It does look like some guy over at TWCenter is working on updating the mod though.  I'm keeping my eyes open and will report here if I see a re-release of The Great War.   ;)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

IIRC that original Great War team worked on it for years :(

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

So after hearing good things about it for years, I finally decided to install the "Divide et Imperia" mod for Rome II and give it a spin.  (I checked out the Radious mod as well, but DEI looked to be the one that was better suited to me.) 

Just wondering if anyone here has played it before, and/or if are there are any useful tips or tricks I should know about before diving in.  It looks pretty sweet.  :D 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I think Sir Slash is a big fan.

FYI I just bought Three Kingdoms, finally.

Looking for good companion reading if anyone can recommend, besides the ROTK.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mbar

Has anyone considers the new RTK14 or are most peoples opinion that it's not a war game?

W8taminute

Quote from: mbar on March 02, 2020, 10:27:40 AM
Has anyone considers the new RTK14 or are most peoples opinion that it's not a war game?

I'm going to check it out when it comes out.  Unless it's already out.  Gonna have to google it!

The thing is with all of the recent Koei strategy titles is that they've dumbed down the games from what they originally were.  I really like RTK8 and 10.  These games might not be considered wargames however they are deep turn based fun and that's good enough for me.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 28, 2020, 09:54:15 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 28, 2020, 09:29:41 AM
Agreed. One of the great joys of my lifetime was calling in Naval Bombardments on those damned Deathtrap Castles in FotS and blowing the snot out of them before I attack.  :notworthy:

So true.  I miss all that in my new HLL life of death in the hedgerows in "over-gamed Overlord" ( a near quote from a steam discussion).

The Attila 1212AD mod seems pretty fun.  Of course, I'll be getting back to the hedgerows as soon as Patch 9 for HLL comes out.  A little novelty always helps even in the hedgerows.

Sir Slash

I use the DEI Mod for Rome 2 and liked it more than the Radious Mod, though that's a good one too. DEI Changes the game a lot with an Area of Recruitment system based on your population and citizen classes for instance, cav. comes from the upper classes so you can't build any in a city that doesn't have that class of citizens. Nor can your units receive replacements after a battle unless your army is in a region that possesses the required type of citizen population. It sounds more complex than it is really and usually as your pop. grows you will have whatever you need. But you can tweek the system however you like in many ways.

The armies and fleets have a supply mechanic that causes attrition anytime they're outside your territory or not at least close. This means you can't sail all over the world and land anywhere you want without running-out of supply eventually and dying because of attrition. However the correct building chains will allow you to build 'Supply Units' land and sea, that allow you to carry supply with you. And fleets with a Supply Ship can supply an army if they are close to each other. Pretty neat.

The pace is slower with 4 seasons per year and growth is slower as well. The AI is very good, campaign and battle and is very similar or the same one The Ancient Empires uses that places more emphasis on units become exhausted in prolonged combat and needing to be relieved by fresh units. And there's a shit-ton of new units for all factions. Also some scripted events such as Carthage was my BFF until I took Syracuse then they declared war on me (Rome). But I was warned of this before it happened in a scripted message.

I really like it but it's probably not for everybody. With the slower pace you probably won't be able to conquer the whole world before the game ends. But the factions play very different so it's fun to re-play. It's also been kept up with since it first came out with new improvements, a big plus.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Thanks, Sir Slash!  That matches up with what I myself have read about the DEI mod, and was pretty much why I chose it over the Radious mod.  :) 
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Sir Slash

You're welcome Martok. I'd like to hear what you think of it when you take it out for a spin.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

CJReich46

Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2020, 09:42:39 AM

Well there's the series if you look on You Tube you might be able to find it (and if you can handle subtitled). Also there's John Yoo's Red Cliff, and Kings and Generals did some episodes on their You Tube Channel. 
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Martok

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 02, 2020, 07:29:03 PM
You're welcome Martok. I'd like to hear what you think of it when you take it out for a spin.
Will do.  Not sure when that's going to be now, though.  RL has suddenly gone a little bonkers this week, plus I'm supposed to head over to Wisconsin this weekend. 

Gusington

Thanks for the leads CJ.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: CJReich46 on March 03, 2020, 09:33:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 02, 2020, 09:42:39 AM

Well there's the series if you look on You Tube you might be able to find it (and if you can handle subtitled). Also there's John Yoo's Red Cliff, and Kings and Generals did some episodes on their You Tube Channel.

Red Cliff is an awesome movie covering the time period. 

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose