Main Menu

Aliens: Fireteam

Started by al_infierno, March 02, 2021, 03:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 25, 2021, 08:37:18 AM
I thought it was only 3 players, which is actually one of the major criticisms, even from some of those who claim to like it....

You are correct :

Q: Can this game be played and completed via solo play?
A: Each mission and mode can be played with two teammates or AI partners.

I didn't catch that from watching those streams.  There was so much chaos it must have looked like 4 players to me.

al_infierno

F- it, I made the dive.  Will report back when I get the chance to play after work.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Quote from: al_infierno on August 25, 2021, 01:37:13 PM
F- it, I made the dive.  Will report back when I get the chance to play after work.

LoL. Noice!  >:D
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Perhaps we can get a squad together.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

My buddy bought it and started playing on release.  He's already finished the story campaign.  He was a massive fan of the WWZ game by the same company.  His takeaway is, if you love the level grind and weapon customization of WWZ (which he does), you'll like this one a lot.  If you want a good, single player story experience, avoid it.  If you are looking for tonnes of variety in terms of maps and battles, wait for a sale.  He says it's bug free, runs well (but with a few frame rate drops), and the sound is good.  Says controls are a bit sloppy and he doesn't like that there's only one movement speed (he's one of those bastards who sprints halfway across the map as soon as you spawn because he's memorized the location of every loot box).  He also doesn't like how slow you move when you are aiming-down-sights. 

Bottom line is: if you love grindy progression games and like Aliens, buy it now.  If you like squad based co-op shooters, wait for a sale.  If you're single player and want a good story, skip it.

Gusington

:-[

Guess I'll skip it.

For now! I'll pay 5.00 for a less than stellar SP campaign and the off chance we can start a squad here  :dreamer:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on August 25, 2021, 03:59:08 PM
:-[

Guess I'll skip it.

For now! I'll pay 5.00 for a less than stellar SP campaign and the off chance we can start a squad here  :dreamer:

There's isn't really a SP campaign according to him.  You go through the same missions as you would in the MP game but you get two of the discount androids from the Alien: Isolation game as teammates and they aren't really up to the task.  He also said the alien spawn points need work because they always show up at the same spot on the maps so it's too predictable once you've been through the levels a few times.  Needs more uncertainty in terms of when and where they come from.

Gusington

Why do you disapprove of my happiness?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have to.  It's in my job description.

al_infierno

We'll see if this is the game that turns me onto grindy progression system based 3rd person shooters, then.  :buck2:

Also, worth mentioning according to Steam reviews there's no ultrawide resolution support, which is a bummer.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

SDR you sound just like Bishop in the first movie! Well done.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

"Not bad.... For a human...."

- MengJiao

al_infierno

First demerit for this game:  No Apone stache in the character customization.   >:(

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 25, 2021, 03:57:02 PM
he doesn't like that there's only one movement speed

What does he mean by this?  I assumed it meant no sprint button, but there is one.  Does he mean no abilities/mods/etc. to boost your speed?

- MengJiao

al_infierno

I have to say I'm enjoying this a good bit in my first couple hours, and don't plan on refunding it.  It's on the janky budget side but the basic shooting and scooting and Aliens atmosphere is all quite fun.  It could use with a good bit of polish though.  The player models and animations are pretty wonky.   The aliens seem to follow fairly predictable paths most of the time.  The devs need to take a note from the Killing Floor playbook and have the enemies move in weird ways to distract and disorient you and occasionally sneak up behind you.  Sometimes I get "got" by an alien jumping out of a spawn-vent or something, but that's not as fun as getting startled by a bug that just danced around your peripheral until it was suddenly in murder range.

I can see how someone who's big on modern 3rd person shooters wouldn't like this game for being janky and not bringing anything particularly new to the table beyond the IP, but I'm digging it for its simplistic fun and Aliens references.  I like that you can swap out the shotgun for the old Ithaca that Hicks uses in the movie.  For that matter, I appreciate that the default shotgun is just a regular-ass modern military shotgun and not some fancy stupid futuristic looking shotgun like most of these games use (including Alien: Isolation).  These devs get that shotgun technology does not exactly have anywhere to go with regards to aesthetic.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with it but if they don't implement some polish and more interesting enemy AI, I don't see it being more than a "kill a couple hours with some beers" type of game. 

- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Worth A Buy? Let's read the words, the words...of the developer...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18