Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive releases November 18th

Started by Grim.Reaper, September 28, 2021, 11:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Will pick up next week. just saving my coupon until holiday sale so I can use for other games at same time:)

-budd-

Quote from: bobarossa on November 18, 2021, 02:18:05 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on November 18, 2021, 12:32:47 PM
Is it safe to assume it comes without a Steam code but will get onto Steam some time later?
Have the other Decisive Campaign games made it to steam?
Will buy day after Christmas when my Anniversary Coupon arrives!

Yes, all the other games are on Steam. There's a nice bundle of all the DC games if you haven't bought any of them   https://www.matrixgames.com/bundle/decisive-campaigns-collection 
Just over $68 for all 4 games. There all good, but Warsaw to Paris may still be my favorite.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

al_infierno

First impressive detail that jumps out to me is the sheer number of scenarios and editors available.  Wow.  On the offset I'm even more impressed than I was with DC: Barbarossa, which remains one of my all time favorites.

A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Redwolf

Can somebody describe how it compares to playing TOAW on a similar scale?

Zulu1966

Quote from: Redwolf on November 19, 2021, 12:08:36 PM
Can somebody describe how it compares to playing TOAW on a similar scale?

Much better imho. Rivers at hexsides for a start.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

devoncop

One thing to note is that for some reason the excellent  PBEM++  multiplayer system which was implemented for Barbarossa is not integrated  here so in Multiplayer where the game will truly shine,  it will require the old style file  exchange which has put me off and made the difference in deciding not to buy.

A strange decision given Shadow Empire also has this implemented.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

To be honest, I'm just plain happy I finally get to play as the good ol' Stars and Stripes in a Decisive Campaigns title.   :knuppel2:   :cowboy:

A couple random improvements I've noted while fiddling with a small scenario:

• The UI in general is slicker and less cluttered, and it's more obvious how to control things.  For example, it's easier to adjust between movement modes and you can simply switch back to inspecting units by pressing Escape.
  • Infantry companies can use their company mortars to take part in bombardments of adjacent tiles (pretty sure this is a first for the engine as mortars usually just add to a unit's defense)
  • You can set units to "Intercept" (aka Overwatch) and open fire on units that enter adjacent tiles.
  • When you commit to an attack, you have more detailed options: "Probe", "Recon In Force", "Attack", and "All-Out Attack", where you can effectively sacrifice attack power for hitpoints and vise versa, in addition to retreating at different levels of losses
  • Cards seem more streamlined that Barbarossa but still impactful for reinforcements and supply
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

al_infierno

Glowing review from Strategy and Wargaming:

https://strategyandwargaming.com/2021/11/20/decisive-campaigns-ardennes-offensive-review-new-golden-standard/

QuoteVerdict - Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the best operational-level wargame I've ever played, period. The decision to stay away from the more abstract aspects of other operational level wargames and to bravely implement novel features should serve as a textbook example of how a genre, considered by many to be stale and long past its prime that, with the right knowledge, passion, and inspiration, you can always reach new heights. For going above and beyond the call of duty, Decisive Campaigns is hereby granted the first, Golden Strategy and Wargaming Seal of Approval.

- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: al_infierno on November 21, 2021, 03:38:24 AM

https://strategyandwargaming.com/2021/11/20/decisive-campaigns-ardennes-offensive-review-new-golden-standard/

QuoteVerdict - Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the best operational-level wargame I've ever played, period. The decision to stay away from the more abstract aspects of other operational level wargames and to bravely implement novel features should serve as a textbook example of how a genre, considered by many to be stale and long past its prime that, with the right knowledge, passion, and inspiration, you can always reach new heights. For going above and beyond the call of duty, Decisive Campaigns is hereby granted the first, Golden Strategy and Wargaming Seal of Approval.

Nice link have not seen this site before thanks!

MengJiao

Quote from: al_infierno on November 21, 2021, 03:38:24 AM

Yep, I agree; this game is stunningly well done.  And I mostly don't like Battle of the Bulge games -- but this one is great!