Conquest of Elysium 5 Announced!

Started by CJReich46, May 13, 2021, 10:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on August 18, 2021, 11:33:59 AM
Post impressions! This is the first game of this type that has interested me, so I am a total n00b in this realm.

Will do !

Will be starting a playthrough as a Kobold King tomorrow morning. Impossibly feeble expendable infantry but with the ability to summon uncontrolable dragons and  other monstrosities which cost sacrifices of those very same expendable  Kobbolds to summon up is a faction that appeals to my crazed dictator instincts  :)

Spoiler....it is likely to be a short playthrough !
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Sparhawk

I haven't picked it up yet though will tonight. I've played many hours of both COE 3 and COE 4 so look forward to what this iteration will bring.

al_infierno

OK, I just have to say it even though I'm obviously an idiot who's missing something.

What the absolute fuck am I doing in this game?

I've played tons of Dominions and dabbled a bit in CoE 4 and never gotten past this basic question with this particular series.  I barely have enough gold to hire anything (roughly 5 income per turn and basic units cost 30, 50, 70+), and I can't succeed in any battles with my starting units.  Is this unlike Dominions in that you need to be patient and wait several turns to build up a treasury and hire units?  My instinct is to expand as fast as possible, but I get crushed by everything on the map.  Do I just need to go nab as many empty tiles as possible like a traditional 4X?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Well I just lost my first 200 turn playthrough as Slithergrog the Great (a misnomer if ever there was one!)

Playing as a Kobbold Chief I rolled the white Kobbolds which use shock magic and have a heap of cowardly useless chaff. Had a decent expansion ...definitely avoid any tricky battles early on and seize villages,hamlets and mines for more income. Towns also give you increased chances to be able to recruit sorcerers/Drakes/assassins etc

Eventually after a 70+ turn campaign that ebbed and flowed against the hideous Khaled the Scourge Lord and his undead horrors Gekk-Nikku and his attendant Chiefs and sorcers fell in a climactic battle trying to recapture borderlands taken by the undead.

Many lessons learned. Trading is very useful if you capture a market to get hold of the resources you need in particular as a faction.

Great game and am genuinely excited to give it another crack as the Kobbolds but may see how another faction plays out first.

al_infierno

^ So DON'T throw away all my troops on the nearest enemy unit on turn 1.  #:-)  Sounds like a solid strategy to me!
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on August 19, 2021, 12:09:35 PM
^ So DON'T throw away all my troops on the nearest enemy unit on turn 1.  #:-)  Sounds like a solid strategy to me!

100% correct sir  ;)

As my second playthrough as the Dwarven Queen (no sniggering at the back Gus) that was definitely necessary as the Dwarven troops are hideously expensive and my Citadel was a long way from other mines that dwarves desperately need to produce the iron for their better units,

I have managed to get shiny iron gates in my Citadel however which are also now enchanted to zap anyone trying to break in ....much like my own real life abode :)

Expansion may have been too slow however and enemy factions are appearing on the horizon.....

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

- MengJiao

solops

How is this game? It has been out a while now. Any conclusions? I have never played any of the CoE games, but I have played Dominions 3, 4 and 5. How does CoE5 compare?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

TheFjordFox

This is a damn good game! I picked it up in september for the first time - never played any of it's predecessors, but I've already racked up over 300 hours in the game. It uses a lot of the same visual assets as dominions do.

I've got a few playthroughs out of it on youtube - I've got 6 "seasons" out so far, and I plan to do a playthrough of all the classes over time. I just want to play the classes a bit on my own before I record for youtube, so I know what I'm doing with them, so it's a bit slow going, but hey - here's a link to my latest playthrough with the Necromancer class.

My favourite classes in the game so far are Dryad Queen and Necromancer. Necromancer because of all the free units you get to throw at the enemy. Dryad Queen because you get to charm your enemy to come to your side, summon animals of the wilds to your side, and turn foe to friend.

100% recommend this game to anyone just slightly curious about it!

@al_infierno - thanks for the link! Listening to it right now, gonna be a good hour :)
I'm just another random.

solops

My big question is: I have Dom5. What is different about CoE5 that would make me want to buy it?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

TheFjordFox

No clue, I haven't tried Dom myself yet, but it's on my to-do list. I guess you could look it up and see what it's about. I know that CoE plays more like civilization games, if that makes sense, with auto-combat and tiles and such.

I'd definitely recommend it, that's for sure! There's a fair bit of asset crossover between the games, which can be either good or bad, depending on your view on it.
I'm just another random.

Tanaka

Quote from: solops on November 03, 2021, 08:39:34 PM
How is this game? It has been out a while now. Any conclusions? I have never played any of the CoE games, but I have played Dominions 3, 4 and 5. How does CoE5 compare?

I own and play both and I enjoy playing COE5 over Dominions 5. You are not just playing against the other players you are playing against the world. It is a living breathing world and a great adventure. Not to mention the 10 other planes or so. Make sure to get the AI suicide prevention mod. It is a must.

https://www.illwinter.com/coe5/

Sparhawk

I've been having trouble with the forces of Inferno. It seems as if every time I start, a portal is opened up before I get a chance to grow, and they roll over me. Maybe this is a recent addition. The game is challenging enough as it was, I can't seem to find a way to overcome this new challenge.

al_infierno

Well I'm starting to get the hang of the game, playing as a human baron I've managed to get a reasonably sized army marching around the map and taking valuable money-making positions.  It feels a lot more familiar to a traditional 4X than Dominions 5.  Seems like it would be interesting in multiplayer but I'm not sure how much player interaction / diplomacy there is here compared to Dom 5.

- MengJiao