Command Ops: Highway to the Reich

Started by Bison, January 29, 2012, 11:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I'm going to pick this up next week, when I get home.  I'm pretty stoked.  Except when my laptop crashed last August, I lost Battle for the Bulge so I'll need to redown load that too.  Then it's wargaming time again.

After a few months of disappointment with Tiller and now Ageod, I'm just relieved that one of my favorite wargame developers is still pushing to improve their games.  Sure some with complain about it's just a remake.  However, there are a ton of differences between the original HttR and the new Command Ops engine to justify the $25 IMO.

LongBlade

Yeah, once we're satisfied these forums are firing on all cylinders and the front page easily accepts content I'll start working on an article about it. I can't wait to play it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

The plan is to bring this joint up to a full review and news site too?

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on January 29, 2012, 11:30:49 AM
The plan is to bring this joint up to a full review and news site too?

Initially we just wanted a place to hang, but a bunch of guys here are writers and they are eager to keep writing so it's inevitable. Besides, it's fun.

Bison

That's cool.  I'd be up for writing some AARs once life settle down into some sort of normalicy for me. 

LongBlade

Jarhead0331

I was sort of excited for this one too. But in truth, I never learn the system so I don't stick with these games.  I have the original HTTR on cd...I'm assuming the expansion will work with this?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 29, 2012, 11:50:38 AM
I was sort of excited for this one too. But in truth, I never learn the system so I don't stick with these games.  I have the original HTTR on cd...I'm assuming the expansion will work with this?

Battles from the Bulge has an outstanding video tutorial. Play through those and you'll have no problems.

Bison

I have the original HTTR on cd...I'm assuming the expansion will work with this?

No this is an expansion for Battle of the Bulge.  It took the original HttR and upgraded it to the newest panther engine.  So unfortunately you'd need to get BftB first to play it.  However LB is correct the video tutorials for BftB are great and really help you grasp the gameplay much easier.  They are very in depth about the engine and how to plan using UI features.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Bison on January 29, 2012, 12:04:16 PM
I have the original HTTR on cd...I'm assuming the expansion will work with this?

No this is an expansion for Battle of the Bulge.  It took the original HttR and upgraded it to the newest panther engine.  So unfortunately you'd need to get BftB first to play it.  However LB is correct the video tutorials for BftB are great and really help you grasp the gameplay much easier.  They are very in depth about the engine and how to plan using UI features.

Are you absolutely SURE about this? I have BftB, but I thought this new expansion required HTTR.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Bison

Yes.  The new expansion requires BftB.  It is the old HttR game where the scenarios have been updated to the BftB engine.

son_of_montfort

I'm exactly the same way. I get very excited for the system and I jump into learning everything I can about it, but I play a few scenarios and never feel I grasp what is going on enough to do well.

I would put in more time and get the expansion (well... If I can find the copy of BftB I had) but I still have so much left to learn and do in Distant Worlds and its expansion that I think it would be a lost cause.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

Well one of the nice things about the Command Ops system is that you can get into the weeds of detail as much or as little as you want.  Generally I limit my commands to BN level.  Occassionally I'll go down to company, if there is an object or OP that I want to hold.  One of the tricks to learn is to NOT continually change your mind after an order has been issued.  The ripple effect of reorg by your subordinate units really will stall out any advance or defensive plan you've made.  I always how ever keep the artillery under my command to put fires where/when I want.  The one exception is the mortar plt I leave them to support their battalion.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on January 29, 2012, 02:12:09 PM
Well one of the nice things about the Command Ops system is that you can get into the weeds of detail as much or as little as you want.  Generally I limit my commands to BN level.  Occassionally I'll go down to company, if there is an object or OP that I want to hold.  One of the tricks to learn is to NOT continually change your mind after an order has been issued.  The ripple effect of reorg by your subordinate units really will stall out any advance or defensive plan you've made.  I always how ever keep the artillery under my command to put fires where/when I want.  The one exception is the mortar plt I leave them to support their battalion.

That's how I play.

Bismarck

A nice piece would compare this to the original HttR.
Jim Cobb