Command Ops: Highway to the Reich

Started by Bison, January 29, 2012, 11:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Yes it would. We should chat offline about that.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grim.Reaper

I picked this up as well, but haven't played much.  I like the concept of the game system where you don't have to micromanage, but it has still been hard to wrap my head around the system even though I own all the games in the series.....my darn impulse buying gets me all the time.

LongBlade

I like to look at it like a movie. I set all the orders in motion, then I speed up the system and watch things unfold. You've got to be really light on the touch with the orders and just let the AI work out the details. It's difficult, especially since I'm a tactical gamer who prefers to push individual squads around. But once I get into the system, it's kinda Zen.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks LB.  I am sure I will get the hang of it someday, determined to actually finish a scenario this time around.  Just have to find the time to absorb the tutorials and figure it out.  Until at least Crusader Kings II comes out and hopefully takes all my time away.

gabeeg

Quote from: Bison on January 29, 2012, 11:21:04 AM
...After a few months of disappointment with Tiller and now Ageod, I'm just relieved that one of my favorite wargame developers is still pushing to improve their games.  Sure some with complain about it's just a remake.  However, there are a ton of differences between the original HttR and the new Command Ops engine to justify the $25 IMO.

Bison,

Just out of curiosity, what has disappointed you with Tiller...is just their slow development and improvement to thier engines? The new HttR is excellent, still on my first scenario but it in combination with the last to updates to the BftB engine have really put a nice icing to an already excellent game.
Kind Regards,
Harry

Bison

Quote from: gabeeg on January 31, 2012, 01:26:46 AM
Bison,

Just out of curiosity, what has disappointed you with Tiller...is just their slow development and improvement to thier engines? The new HttR is excellent, still on my first scenario but it in combination with the last to updates to the BftB engine have really put a nice icing to an already excellent game.

Honestly I'm still a little disappointed about how the shift from HPS to JTS DRM became such a dramatic event.   I think that all sides to include myself got bitter and hostile about the changes.  In the end, I don't think it was good for the Tiller game community at all.  I guess that is the major reason.

son_of_montfort

So I found my copy of BftB and installed it... only to find out that the fonts are all messed up because I use higher DPI fonts with my large screen monitor!  >:(

If I switch the DPI, then I can play it fine, but it means logging out and back in and then my screen gets all messed up (and I am convinced it looks different from before, but I can't pick out why). I checked the Matrix forum and Arjuna said that this was "too time consuming and expensive to fix" and basically told us to lump it or leave it (a bit more politely, but only a bit).

I guess the expansion won't make this any better? I also think I had the same problem with GG:WitE, but didn't know what it was.

Yes, war games are a niche product, but can we not make them work a bit better on a wide variety of resolutions?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 01, 2012, 11:26:28 AM
So I found my copy of BftB and installed it... only to find out that the fonts are all messed up because I use higher DPI fonts with my large screen monitor!  >:(

If I switch the DPI, then I can play it fine, but it means logging out and back in and then my screen gets all messed up (and I am convinced it looks different from before, but I can't pick out why). I checked the Matrix forum and Arjuna said that this was "too time consuming and expensive to fix" and basically told us to lump it or leave it (a bit more politely, but only a bit).

I guess the expansion won't make this any better? I also think I had the same problem with GG:WitE, but didn't know what it was.

Yes, war games are a niche product, but can we not make them work a bit better on a wide variety of resolutions?

This is interesting. My initial reaction tells me that it could be the first sign that Slitherine is intervening - money is definitely the motivator.

But OTOH these guys are a small outfit and they do have to pick their battles. Screen resolution seems to me to be a "nice to have" rather than necessary place to devote resources.

Screens are getting bigger and cheaper so they ought to at least tip their hat in acknowledgement, but grogs can be grogs and they may be set in their ways.

So whiled I'd like to pile on, in the end I'm thinking that I'd give them a pass. They probably do have better places to apply their efforts, though a more well considered response would have been in order.

son_of_montfort

It isn't a screen res thing - it scales to the 1920x1080 res fine. It is a font DPI issue. I'm not sure why they made the font dependent upon the computer's settings and not internally controlled, but that is what they did.

I wouldn't blame Sliterine for this one. If anything, Matrix has always been bad about supporting higher resolutions (Crown of Glory, for instance). They have improved at this over the years.

Yes, it absolutely is due to the fact that Arjuna and company don't have the resources to fix this without a complete overhaul. It isn't game-killing for me, more of an annoyance, but for some it surely would be.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

No this is a common issue with games on Win7 where text size size is increased by default.  You see it in Ageod games and HPS/JTS games too for example.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on February 01, 2012, 02:07:17 PM
No this is a common issue with games on Win7 where text size size is increased by default.  You see it in Ageod games and HPS/JTS games too for example.

Yes, that is true. But it is still a DPI issue. You can correct it by setting the DPI lower. O course, when I set the DPI that low, I can barely read my other text.

And resetting back to "normal" has made things look "funny." May be my imagination, but my fonts look different than they did before!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

Maybe your clear font got dropped somehow. 

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on February 01, 2012, 04:34:53 PM
Maybe your clear font got dropped somehow.

No, but I think I may have altered the cleartype font. I'm getting used to it now, though.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert