More turn based combat

Started by Zulu1966, October 27, 2012, 06:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

http://meridian4.com/games/frontline_tactics

Is now on steam and already has some DLC (though that seems mighty expensive for what it is.)

Note: I have not played it so no idea if its any good.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

W8taminute

^Cool.  Looks like XCOM will inspire a whole new generation of TBS tactical games.  You gotta love it.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Barthheart

It's kinda .... meh...

I picked up the iPad version. It's free to play but riddled with ads. Very small maps, at least to start. You start with 2 guys and very limited wepon options.
Only about 5 different maps to start. You unlock more maps and squad slots as you earn wins. 1st new map unlock comes after 2 wins. Then you need 5 wins for your next unock. So... you end up playing on the same maps ALOT!

You earn points or credits or whatever for winning, surviving, killing etc. Credits are used to up your squadie's skills, buy new weapons, hire new guys etc. You earn about 36,000 per won mission. Cost >150,000 for new skil set, training cost >50,000 and increases with each level. So again you are playing the same maps ALOT just to level up or get new equipement.
Oh, and if you die, it's OK, 'cause it's only for that mission.

As you level up and get more squad members the mission get more difficult fast. But so far it's just the same maps with more bad dudes....

There are in app purchases,IAP's, but it's for stuff you can earn for free just by grinding.

So I read that it was cross platform and available at Steam. Free on Steam too.

Loaded that version up last night and it's exactly the same except for the lack of ads.... which is nice....
The DLC just lets you buy squad members instead of grinding for them...

Looks like most of the fun is reserved for MP. No idea how that works.

Overall... meh.... glad I didn't pay for either versions. It's just an OK tie waster...  :P