Steel Beasts Pro PE

Started by Zulu1966, November 03, 2012, 06:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu1966

Hi - anyone know if this game company is still active. I paid for an upgrade for the latest version but got no license file link. I sent a mail to support but heard nothing. Tried to register on their forums but even thats  not sending me an activation mail for my account there.

Have I just thrown money in the toilet ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Yskonyn

AFAIK they are active.
Support usually is quick and effective. Not sure what is going on.  :-\
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

That's odd. I hadn't heard anything. Try asking over in the armor section at simhq.com. Pretty sure Ssnake hangs out in there.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

I certainly hope that eSim is still a going concern. Did you (sorry for the obvious) check your spam filter and make sure they have the correct email addy in your profile?

Edit: corrected pub name.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Zulu1966

Thanks all ... got a reply - but they cant figure out why I didnt get any mails. Got the licence thing sorted but now the freaking codemeter thing doesnt work. Doesnt even get recognized as a  USB device. This has got to be the most Pain in the A** DRM I have seen. Any clues ?
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

LongBlade

Sorry, this is a game I've always wanted to get into but never took the plunge.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Zulu1966

Quote from: LongBlade on November 03, 2012, 09:16:12 PM
Sorry, this is a game I've always wanted to get into but never took the plunge.

Well - I have never been particularly anti drm. But this thing has a dongle. So the game doesnt work not because I dont have a key. Not because the software is bugged. But because some quite separate piece of plastic thats just been sat in a CD case for four years no longer works. I guess they are going to ask me to send it back - but I frankly dont know I can be bothered. I mean its 2012, dongles for gods sake - I had to use those in my amiga ....  this may be reason enough to keep your money longblade.

Nefaro

USB Thumb Drives are notoriously unreliable as to life span (which is what these 'security' dongles are).   Some will last you a long time, more likely so if you only keep them plugged in, powered up, and used occasionally.  But I've also seen some that just plain die within a year or two of regular use, no matter the name brand.

I've got an old SanDisk that has lasted a surprisingly long 3-4 years, but I learned to only plug it in and use it very rarely, for a 3rd backup location of smaller files and useful little Windows utilities I may need when people ask me to fix up their PC while I'm visiting.

jomni

Ah dead USB's... the disadvantage of dongle-based DRM.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Zulu1966

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 04, 2012, 06:50:12 AM
Here is a link to the eSim forums concerning dongle issues:

http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/showthread.php?t=7012

Thanks - but I spent hours trawling through everything yesterday and it appears I have the terminal flashing red and green issue. Now to compose an email to them and see if I can keep my temper.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Nefaro on November 03, 2012, 11:30:21 PM
USB Thumb Drives are notoriously unreliable as to life span (which is what these 'security' dongles are).   Some will last you a long time, more likely so if you only keep them plugged in, powered up, and used occasionally.  But I've also seen some that just plain die within a year or two of regular use, no matter the name brand.

I've got an old SanDisk that has lasted a surprisingly long 3-4 years, but I learned to only plug it in and use it very rarely, for a 3rd backup location of smaller files and useful little Windows utilities I may need when people ask me to fix up their PC while I'm visiting.

Thats the thing. It worked last time I used it a few years back and since then its just been sat in a box. Ridiculous system, they must self destruct or something.

panzerde

I bought Steel Beast Pro PE about six weeks ago, and my initial license email went astray.  They did respond within a day with a new email.  Since then I haven't had any issues, though it does look like the biggest technical complaint with the game is around their Codemeter license key.

Fantastic, though extremely complex and demanding sim.  Could do without this clunky DRM approach, though.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Zulu1966

Quote from: panzerde on November 04, 2012, 02:00:33 PM
I bought Steel Beast Pro PE about six weeks ago, and my initial license email went astray.  They did respond within a day with a new email.  Since then I haven't had any issues, though it does look like the biggest technical complaint with the game is around their Codemeter license key.

Fantastic, though extremely complex and demanding sim.  Could do without this clunky DRM approach, though.

Well - I am now two days without access to my game or a reply. I must say I am less than inpressed. I know its the weekend but this game is a$150 bucks so I would have expected something. I frankly find the whole code meter thing utterly arcane and ridiculous. People complain about ubi soft but this thing has got to be the worst I have seen. At least all I need for ubi soft is an internet connection for this I have to be sending bits of plastic by post half way  round the world to get the thing working.

Yskonyn

Yeah it's pretty frustrating for the price they ask for it.
I've not have had any problems with my dongle ever. In over 4 years now. But if you do, then it's certainly frustrating!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."