Steel Beasts Pro PE

Started by Zulu1966, November 03, 2012, 06:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Just when I thought someone couldn't possibly make worse DRM than the previous crap..   ::)

bostonmyk

Its an amazing Sim and by all accounts well worth the price. I had a great time with the Steel Beasts back in the day and have no doubt this version is great as well. Just look at all the vids on line for it.

Dongles...see this a lot in med tech software. Odds are this stems from ProSims main business paradigms.Don't think its really DRM the way most people think about it. It is an annoying thing to deal with though when it goes wrong.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Grim.Reaper

Iam not a drm fanatic, but can't see myself ever buying a game that required a physical device attached to my pc.....to me, an unheard of need to do this.

Staggerwing

IRRC, dongles were quite common with high end CADCAM design software costing thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. A bit of overkill for a retail game, even a pricier one, unless it closely mimics the setup of the restricted military versions minus a few features. That is probably the original reason for the dongle.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 04, 2012, 08:24:39 PM
IRRC, dongles were quite common with high end CADCAM design software costing thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. A bit of overkill for a retail game, even a pricier one, unless it closely mimics the setup of the restricted military versions minus a few features. That is probably the original reason for the dongle.

Which would be fine if we were back in the 80's and 90's. :)

jomni

Well what should they do now?  Online activation?

Cougar_DK

I think the dongle works just great. I have 4 licenses on mine for SBPro PE and we never had a problem with it...
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nefaro

Quote from: Cougar_DK on November 05, 2012, 11:38:05 AM
I think the dongle works just great. I have 4 licenses on mine for SBPro PE and we never had a problem with it...

So you endorse that kind of DRM?  :o

GDS_Starfury

QuoteI've not have had any problems with my dongle ever. In over 4 years now. But if you do, then it's certainly frustrating!

then youre doing better then Windy by a looooong shot.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Zulu1966

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 05, 2012, 11:53:33 PM
QuoteI've not have had any problems with my dongle ever. In over 4 years now. But if you do, then it's certainly frustrating!

then youre doing better then Windy by a looooong shot.

Well - its getting sorted now. Cost me 20 bucks to send it back and insure it (if it gets lost thats my licence gone) - so the cost of this game is now 170 bucks.

They told me to make sure that I put my name and address in the package so they know who to send it back to. Of course my response to that was "so you get that many coming back do you".

Not sure how anyone sees this as a good option for the customer. for the supplier maybe - as code meter has never been cracked. But certainly not for the customer.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

MarkShot

I had SBPPE over a year ago.  Did not have problems with the dongle, but did write custom scripting to load and unload the dongle drivers.

It was a solid sim, but just not for me.  I sold it for about 50% immediately prior to a new release.  One thing about the dongle, it prevents depreciation of the software.

Cougar_DK

Quote from: Nefaro on November 05, 2012, 10:23:12 PM

It works for me, so yes...
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

jomni

Quote from: Cougar_DK on November 06, 2012, 02:10:49 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 05, 2012, 10:23:12 PM

It works for me, so yes...

Good for you, though reliable, there's a chance that it does not work forever like all hardware.   You just have to be aware of it.