The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Strategy First is one of those weird publishers that whenever I hear their name my first reaction is always "They're still in business?" Seriously, what do they actually DO?

Nefaro

Tuna

I agree, the one's I've wanted I've grabbed in sales in the past or at full price.. Right now only two on my list are CTGW and CCPiF...

I mean I have interests in others, like Steel Panthers, but at 45 dollars, still a big "No Way".. Funny you can get the two above games which are newer at 39 bucks.. but a 10 year plus old game that looks like crap on  your monitor costs more, even on sale!

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 20, 2012, 08:02:29 PM
Quote from: steve58 on November 20, 2012, 07:52:55 PM
^I feel pretty much the same.  I always look forward to their yearly holiday sales, but I've pretty much have gotten almost everything from their catalog I wanted (including my recent purchase of CTGW).  About the only item on the list I'd still be interested in is World at War: A World Divided, but not for $26.

Yep, that is the other part for me.....cost savings is never that great.  If I really wanted the game earlier in the year, saving $12 would not be enough to make me hold out until the holiday sale.  I know these games are a niche so likely not to change and that is fine.  I am sure some folks will see value.

+1  They never put the new titles on sale, and I already have the old ones.   
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Shelldrake

Quote from: steve58 on November 20, 2012, 03:48:29 PM
Well, I decided for $5 I'd go ahead and give it a shot.  The process so far has been somewhat painful, to say the least.  After paying through Paypal, I was sent to a page (powered by e-junkie...whoever/whatever they are).  I downloaded each file, but they are apparently downloader files, only about 500K each.  My Norton AV flagged each and every one as problems, so I had to un-quarantine all of them.  After running Malwarebyte (just to be sure) I fired off the first one for Victorian Admirals Anthology.  Looks like its only about 186MB, so it should download pretty quick right?  Well apparently this GetRightToGo crapware they are using for distribution is just that, crapware.  Looks like its going to take an hour to download this one file.  I guess I'll get the games in the end (hopefully, becasue the links expire after 5 attempts), but this will be my last purchase from SF.

Sorry I posted this sale....stay away...far away  >:(

Thanks for the warning. Too bad as some of those games looked interesting.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Greybriar

Thanks for the heads-up, Scott. Happy Thanksgiving to you, too.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

steve58

Just a quick update... 

Download speed is definitely much faster this morning than it was yesterday afternoon/evening.  It may have been just their server(s) getting bogged down from the initial sale response.  I'm trying to finish downloading all the games this morning before things possibly deteriorate again (ain't it great to be able to work from home :) ).  Also I've yet to install any of the games, so hopefully I won't run into any issues when I'm ready :-\

It may still be worthwhile to get this bundle, just expect to have to spend some extra time and effort to download everything.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sigma One

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 21, 2012, 07:19:43 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 20, 2012, 08:02:29 PM
Quote from: steve58 on November 20, 2012, 07:52:55 PM
^I feel pretty much the same.  I always look forward to their yearly holiday sales, but I've pretty much have gotten almost everything from their catalog I wanted (including my recent purchase of CTGW).  About the only item on the list I'd still be interested in is World at War: A World Divided, but not for $26.

Yep, that is the other part for me.....cost savings is never that great.  If I really wanted the game earlier in the year, saving $12 would not be enough to make me hold out until the holiday sale.  I know these games are a niche so likely not to change and that is fine.  I am sure some folks will see value.

+1  They never put the new titles on sale, and I already have the old ones.

Yes, we generally don't put recent or current-years on sale.

Tpek

Just a quick semi-OT question.
Is there a way to redownload games I bought from Matrix in the past?

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on November 21, 2012, 10:54:07 AM

Register you serial numbers with the games you own.

At the main Members page, there is a Download link on the right-most list that has downloads for installers. 

I'm not sure if all installer packages are there or not, but it looks like most if not all.  I recently entered my old SOW:Gettysburg serial and downloaded the new 1.50 Matrix installer to be sure no wonkiness was left over from patching the pre-Matrix version (there was in that I had to manually clean out the registry to fully uninstall the old frankenstein mix).   Anyway.. I was very happy to see that they've made it so easy to re-download your full installer these days.

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on November 21, 2012, 10:59:55 AM
Quote from: Tpek on November 21, 2012, 10:54:07 AM

Register you serial numbers with the games you own.

At the main Members page, there is a Download link on the right-most list that has downloads for installers. 

I'm not sure if all installer packages are there or not, but it looks like most if not all.  I recently entered my old SOW:Gettysburg serial and downloaded the new 1.50 Matrix installer to be sure no wonkiness was left over from patching the pre-Matrix version (there was in that I had to manually clean out the registry to fully uninstall the old frankenstein mix).   Anyway.. I was very happy to see that they've made it so easy to re-download your full installer these days.

Thanks! Will try.

Tpek

Managed to register all my old purchases except for Chariots of War (bought through Slitherine, but no matter).
Thing is, a lot of these don't have their downloads available. :(

Guess it's still digging for old burned-dvds with the installers on them :P

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

TheCommandTent

Sword of the Stars II: Lords of Winter is on sale for $9.99.  I am very tempted to get this after all the recent talk about the game.

Someone please sell me on this game. :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."