Main Menu

New Sim City

Started by Zulu1966, December 20, 2012, 03:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 21, 2012, 03:58:48 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 21, 2012, 11:12:07 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 20, 2012, 05:37:46 PM
Although I am not happy about the extra cost for the French cities.
That's because they have to buy them back from the Germans, and just pass the cost on to you
There was a time when this was reversed, mon frere. I'm thinking around 1806-1812.

don't ruin my quips with your facts! ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Yskonyn

I have been playing BF3 om Origin for well over 150 hrs now and never had a single problem with it. It is like Steam but with less options.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

TheCommandTent

I will mostly likely get this but I won't have a problem waiting until it is deeply discounted.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

jomni

If it's an Origin exclusive, it won't get deeply discounted.
Maybe up to 50%. That's about the most I've seen.

Bison

Quote from: jomni on December 23, 2012, 12:04:52 AM

I really, really dislike Origin.  I stopped playing BF3 because of the way the game was setup to direct you to a webpage to then access the game.  Lame.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Bison on December 23, 2012, 12:09:06 AM

I really, really dislike Origin.  I stopped playing BF3 because of the way the game was setup to direct you to a webpage to then access the game.  Lame.

Yeah, but that was a BF3 thing, not an Origin thing. The rest of the games I've played through Origin launch right in to the game.

jomni

I have to admit.  I got conned by Origin today.  (Actually it's my ignorance)  I say BF3 Premium is on sale at S$35  (Singapore dollars).  So I bought it and I didn't get any download option in Origin.  Then I found out that I bought the wrong one.  BF3 Premium only has the add-ons.  I need to be buying BF3 Premium Edition to get the base game and all add-ons.  It sells at the same price and it totally got me confused.    :o

Yskonyn

Quote from: Bison on December 23, 2012, 12:09:06 AM

Strange that you stopped playing BF3 because of the webpage interface, because BattleLog (as the page is called) is about the best multiplayer interface I've ever seen or used.
Managing your multiplayer activities has never been easier (or prettier)!
But, as said above, this has got nothing to do with Origin. It's a BF3 feature.

@jomni Ouch, that is too bad. Indeed bad choice of wording for the titles of the products, especially for those less in the 'BF in-crowd'.
As logical as it sounds to me that the Premium is just the 'account type' or 'season pass', if you will, as bad a choice it is to name the full pack Premium Edition including the base game and sell for roughly the same price.
Still, by looking in the Origin store, it does say clearly that Premium is a pass for DLC. :S I am sorry for you, though and I agree EA / Dice would have been better by chosing more differentiating titles.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

No one to blame except for myself.  Naming seems logical despite the confusion.

steve58

...so Release Day (March 5th) is a week away.  As it gets closer I'm starting to feel my resolve about not buying it waver a bit.  So in order to satiate my city building urge, I'm wondering about Cities XL Platinium.  Anyone got any thoughts on it?  Thanks...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Yskonyn

Steve, I have the Cities XL games from 2009 or so onwards, with each update hoping that the game would become better.

I have not bought Platinum, but from reading the forums its just a content update, nothing more.
The devs have been very slow with patching the game. Still some annoying bugs left.

As a city builder its adequate, though. Nothing spectacular, but adequate.
The cool thing is that you can build several cities that are helping eachother. Much like what Simcity is going to do now.
The one thing that ultimately puts me off the game a little is the blandness. The graphics are pretty, so that's not it, but it's the gameplay itself.
For some reason it feels sterile, but it's hard to tell why.

Perhaps you should try to get a demo first.

Bison

I find Cities XL Platinum enjoyable enough.  It's not an overhaul of the basic mechanics of XL 2011 or XL 2012, but it does add in a number of new buildings and the like.  It doesn't have all the depth of Simcity 4, but it has a lot of economic factors to use to plan your cities.  Plus the linked cities let's you build cities that are focused on certain economic functions; i.e. oil, tourism, agriculture, etc...It is also an offline game.  The new Sims is going to require that you are connected to the internet.  Surprisingly that has been little discussed here.

Longdan

I don't like Origin.  They have pushed me too far just once.  I have many, many other games and
will live an unproductive life without this one.  I just will not deal with them again.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 20, 2012, 05:37:46 PM
Although I am not happy about the extra cost for the French cities.

Neither were the Germans. Twice.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

steve58

Thanks for the replies.  Doesn't look like there is a recent demo.  I've not owned/played any of the Cities versions so was willing to maybe give it a shot, but I'm seeing bad reviews (buggy, memory leak, lack of dev support).  Guess I'll wait and see how the world feels about the new SimCity to see if its worth getting even with the always on DRM...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)