Star Prospector Demo Released

Started by son_of_montfort, January 30, 2012, 11:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

The demo for the indie RTS game Star Prospector released today. You can get it here: http://www.cryptstone.com/

I don't know very much about the game, other than James Allen of Out of Eight seemed to like it pretty well. I'm downloading now and hope to have some impressions soon!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Shelldrake

Looks interesting. I am going to give the demo a try.  :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Jarhead0331

That's interesting that the exclusive digital distributor seems to be Impulse through Gamestop.  I think thats actually a good sign if Gamestop is willing to take a chance on indie games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 31, 2012, 01:50:41 PM
That's interesting that the exclusive digital distributor seems to be Impulse through Gamestop.  I think thats actually a good sign if Gamestop is willing to take a chance on indie games.

Funny you should bring this up, because the issue was a HUGE point of contention when Gamestop took over Impulse. Before the buyout, indie developers liked Impulse because Stardock was itself, at one time, an indie developer. When Gamestop bought Impulse, many indie developers spoke out against the move and declared they would not put their games on Impulse. The reason for this was that Gamestop barely gives PC games, let alone indie developers, the time of day in regards to physical releases and store shelf space. Many indie devs felt (accurately) that Gamestop puts console gaming as a much higher priority. Gamestop responded to this by saying they would be committed to the smaller developer with Impulse and were happy to be a part of the indie scene through digital distribution.

I remember that Vic Davies and Cliffski of Positech were a bit vocal about this (I think Cliffski said he would pull GSB off Impulse but I don't know what happened with that).

I played the demo and I'm not sure the game is for me. It is a pretty old-school RTS with some nice RPG elements thrown in, but it just seems a bit too low tech and retro to hold my interest.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert