GOG summer sale: whach ya gettin

Started by -budd-, June 19, 2013, 12:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agathosdaimon

not sure if its in the sale, but i was pleased to get Imperialism 1 and 2, D & D Dragonshard, and Stronghold HD  through GOG

Martok

I know for sure that both Imperialism titles are part of the sale, so you made out good there.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Cougar_DK

I grabbed Baldurs Gate I & II  8)
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Sir Slash

I'm tempted to go for the whole Might & Magic series but couldn't live long enough to play them. I almost bit on Neverwinter Nights 2 for $4. And I've already got it. You can never have enough Forgotten Realms.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 20, 2013, 10:01:45 AM
I'm tempted to go for the whole Might & Magic series but couldn't live long enough to play them. I almost bit on Neverwinter Nights 2 for $4. And I've already got it. You can never have enough Forgotten Realms.

I've had fun playing M&M 5 (World of Xeen) but have a lot more to go yet.  It's certainly one of the most fun of the series, if you're okay with the DOS graphics.  While I've been side-tracked with their recent releases of Wizardry 6-8, I still want to return to M&M 5 because it has a better UI than Wizardry 7 Gold (which also runs sluggish at times).  Those are definitely two of the best old-fashioned party based "tile" RPGs of the DOS era.  I'm not sure if they have the Wizardry ones on sale right now as they were just recently released on GOG.

I <3 you turn-based games.  :-*

Sir Slash

I'm still struggling through Icewind Dale 2. I don't know if it's worth trying to finish but I hate to just give-up after getting through about 3/4 of the game. I actually finished M&M1 on my Amiga way back there.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 20, 2013, 11:46:11 AM
I'm still struggling through Icewind Dale 2. I don't know if it's worth trying to finish but I hate to just give-up after getting through about 3/4 of the game. I actually finished M&M1 on my Amiga way back there.

Years ago I got to about the same place then ran into a brick wall of difficulty that I just couldn't get past so I never finished.  Finished IWD1 but never 2.  Same was true with Baldurs Gate, finished 1 but not 2, ran into that same spike in difficulty then moved on to something else.  Hmmm...same thing with Fallout, finished 1 but not 2....I'm seeing a trend here.  Good luck, I hope you make it through the game.

Sir Slash

Thanks Rayfer. I'm at the spot where you have to kill this giant Black Dragon and then follows a wave after wave of Yuan-Ti. Can't get past the dragon. You have to have +3 or better weapons to hit him. I can always drop the difficulty level I suppose. It's just not as fun as the early part of the game.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 20, 2013, 01:45:28 PM
Thanks Rayfer. I'm at the spot where you have to kill this giant Black Dragon and then follows a wave after wave of Yuan-Ti. Can't get past the dragon. You have to have +3 or better weapons to hit him. I can always drop the difficulty level I suppose. It's just not as fun as the early part of the game.

That is a hard spot.  I've had to resort to "rule bending" like having a thief spot the dragon and then launch area of effect spells out of the line of sight of the dragon.  Drop or severely would the dragon before actually launching a conventional attack.

I almost always have to use a large number of magic items, etc...... to get through this particular battle.  This is just a spot where the game balance is off and extreme measures have to be taken by the player.  It is not you, it is the game.

JasonPratt

Quote from: airboy on June 19, 2013, 07:48:16 PM
Another brick in the wall of games I don't have time to play.
But at least it was less than $14 $60 total.

Ditto with appropriate correction.  :P
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on June 20, 2013, 03:35:35 AM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on June 19, 2013, 04:46:22 PM
I may purchase Caesar III for some nostalgic fun...or maybe B-17?  Or perhaps Comanche Vs Hokum?

Did you ever get the Zeus & Poseidon set from GOG?  It's the last of the series from which Caesar III came, set in classical Greece of course.  I was impressed with how far they took the 2D city builder with that one... and there's even a hi-res & widescreen mod out there for it.

Children of the Nile (which I picked up on the recent sale today from my wishlist) is the last of the series, I think, sort of going back to remake Pharaoh/Cleopatra (which I also got from them on a previous sale. And Zeus/Poseidon.)

Jack, while I did pick up B-17 (again) from somewhere or other on sale recently, I recall it being very broken; ditto Comanche/Hokum (which I also own on disk somewhere but haven't rebought). I honestly don't know why I rebought, except on hope that there would be fan patches somewhere... {hint?}{hint?}{anyone?}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Kushan

I see GOG has Eador Master of the Broken World on sale for 13.99 USD. I know it had a buggy release but how is it now after a month or so of patching?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Gusington

^Was going to ask the same thing...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Kushan on June 21, 2013, 08:32:43 PM
I see GOG has Eador Master of the Broken World on sale for 13.99 USD. I know it had a buggy release but how is it now after a month or so of patching?

I've not had any problems with it, the bit I've played.  However, I've not reached a late game scenario yet so it's not been fully explored.

There were lots of complaints about the interface, but it's not too bad once you get it down.  The only tough one to deal with is the building options and you can just click an extra button to display a whole window filled with all possible ones & their dependencies.  There's an Animation Speed slider that I recommend you move up a ways so that combat animations don't take ages in between orders.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2013, 09:55:57 PM
Cossacks Anthology
American Conquest: Fight Back!
FTL
System Shock 2
Signal Ops
Conquest of the New World
Conquest: Frontier Ops

I have always been curious about Cossacks and American Conquest...have you had a chance to play them?  Are they worth it?  Since old games, do they work well in modern times?