Star Trek Online now F2P

Started by son_of_montfort, January 31, 2012, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

And you can get the client on Steam.

I never played the game and I heard some highly mixed reviews about it. Anyone have any thoughts?

It isn't so much that it is free but that I have limited gaming time. Is it worth a shot?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Steelgrave

I played it for about six weeks and dropped it like stale beer. I understand that there have been lots of improvements, but anything besides ship-to-ship blows. Ground combat, despite many promises, is still broken and uninspired. And speaking of "blows", it ruins the atmosphere for me when the starship next to me is named "USS Bigdicksohard". No filters whatsoever!

Oh, and NOW that you have me started (Ha! Like that was difficult!) the entire FTP thing is a mixed bag. Case in point is Fallen Earth. I was playing FE like mad for about six months. It was an interesting premise that was well done, crafting was valid, and the community was the best I've seen in online games. Then it went free-to-play and suddenly the chat is filled with griefers, whiners, and crybabies. Totally ruined the game! I cancelled and never went back. I understand the economics behind FTP and I understand that immature people are going to be my online neighbors sometimes. But I really, really think that FTP brings out the worst element. Kind of a "there goes the neighborhood" thing.

Martok

I played STO during the open beta period, and like Steely, I was generally unimpressed.  Space combat was pretty fun, but the ground missions sucked big donkey balls.  My biggest issue, though, was that the game lacked immersion IMO -- it felt like a generic MMO with a Trek skin laid over it. 

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 31, 2012, 08:47:48 PM

I never played the game and I heard some highly mixed reviews about it. Anyone have any thoughts?

It isn't so much that it is free but that I have limited gaming time. Is it worth a shot?
If I can ever find time to actually the play the darned thing (again), I'll let you know! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

I'm not sure exactly what kind of FtP scheme they have going for STO, either, as each company has different setups regarding what you can do. 

There is generally a list of restrictions for those who have never purchased a single month of "premium" service in them, which varies from small things such as less bank space to full-on game area restrictions like those in Dungeons & Dragons Online.  I found Fallen Earth to have a very lenient system, and it looks as if all zones are open to everyone.  So it does entice me to play FE more than any others because I can still do everything even during those months where I'm mostly 'away' from it and don't get a premium sub, and feel like messing around a day or two.

I picked up an STO lifetime sub on release, and I've not checked to see what kind of bonuses I get in their FtP model.  There is often some extra little stuff every month for previous long-term peeps.