Jagged Alliance: Back in Action Demo Available!

Started by son_of_montfort, February 01, 2012, 10:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

son_of_montfort

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2012, 10:56:29 AM
EAGERLY awaiting impressions...

Are you at work and can't DL it? Hopefully I'll oblige in a little bit here.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 01, 2012, 11:22:50 AM

That's affirm...stuck at work for what is going to be a very long day.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

son_of_montfort

:
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 01, 2012, 11:25:51 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 01, 2012, 11:22:50 AM

That's affirm...stuck at work for what is going to be a very long day.

:(

If it's any consolation, I have about 400 pages of dense historical research to read.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 01, 2012, 10:52:42 AM
Get it at these mirrors:

Looks to be the tutorial.

Sweet Jebus, I can't wait to try this out!

son_of_montfort

I just played a few minutes, the tutorial, and some of the demo mission.

First impressions are:

• The pause and command option is surprisingly robust (as in you can coordinate simultaneous moves and firing by "linking" orders).
  • The graphics are pretty and well done. Everything has pretty good atmosphere.
  • Having no fog of war is really really weird. You can see all the baddies but they can't see you.
  • The game is HARD (maybe a justification for no fog of war). I have yet to find a good way to clear the initial house - no cover, well armed baddies, too many baddies.

Again, only first impressions but I must say that I'm more positive about what I saw than I expected (particularly after initial reports of poor AI and the lack of FoW. This one may be a "buy."

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Grim.Reaper

Any reason as to why they didn't include FOW?  Seems like a glaring oversight and would take away from the immersion.  Just wondering why they thought it would be a good idea.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It seems decent.  I'm a sucker for these types of games.

I like the graphics and it seems to be stable and run well on my PC.

I wish you could zoom in and get more of a horizontal, over the shoulder type view.

I hope there are a lot of ammo caches around cause man, there are a lot of bad guys to contend with.

I think I like 7.62's combat engine better, but this one seems like it'll be fun and it looks more polished overall.

Grim.Reaper

Have to agree....really never played a game in this series, but just completed most of the tutorial and seems interesting.  I like the command mode where you can pre-plan your moves.  Tried the demo mission and promptly got my entire crew killed in seconds:)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 01, 2012, 06:44:55 PM
Any reason as to why they didn't include FOW?  Seems like a glaring oversight and would take away from the immersion.  Just wondering why they thought it would be a good idea.

I think... and I have no particular evidence for this... that the FoW they used tanked performance. That, or the AI literally couldn't handle FoW. There was certainly a technical issue, because FoW was actually in the game, but the patched it OUT while in development. Some people are thinking that there will be a mod to put it back in fairly quickly, as the structure for FoW should still be in the game.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

jomni

If you say that you can play in over the shoulder view.  Then play that view exclusively and you now have full realistic FOW already simulated (you can see only what the character can see).  But you have to give orders in that view as well (is this possible?)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Nope, it's not possible.  One of things I mentioned earlier was that I wish that they did have such a view.  I find the map views available somewhat limited.  The zoomed in view is from a nearly top-down perspective which means you can only see a very small portion of the map.  Makes lining up shots a bit more work than it should be.