Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

You have all my respect if you have the time and patience to learn how to fly and fight that.  I tell you, there was a time when I would have been overjoyed by something like the DCS Hind, but man alive that looks like a LOT of work before it starts being fun.

It sure is a neat aircraft, though.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I recently retired my CH Rudder Pedals and upgraded to MFG Crosswinds. I'm hoping this will make some appreciable difference in my ability to control rotary aircraft without smashing into the ground like a brick.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

I imagine a good set of rudder pedals is critical to flying the Hind effectively (along with all the DCS helos for that matter).

It also seems that managing the unique Russian trim system is pretty important.  I know it was not intuitive to me at all in the Black Shark, but you couldn't really fly the helo without using it properly.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Redwolf

Yeah, I decided on "no way" on buying the Hind at this time. I can't get the Mi-8 off and onto the ground at all.

BTW, there is a huge hoopla on the Steam ED forums about the pushed back displayed release data. They openly say that they put in a random placeholder - because a presale is not possible without a fixed release date. That goes against Steam rules and people are tearing them a new one.

Still kinda wanna have the Tomcat tho

Toonces

How is the dual cockpit being handled in the Hind?  Can the weapons systems be controlled solely from the pilot's seat, is there an AI gunner, or what?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on June 03, 2021, 12:03:37 PM
How is the dual cockpit being handled in the Hind?  Can the weapons systems be controlled solely from the pilot's seat, is there an AI gunner, or what?

There is AI. Instead of Jester, they call it "Petrovich".
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 02, 2021, 07:03:24 PM
I recently retired my CH Rudder Pedals and upgraded to MFG Crosswinds. I'm hoping this will make some appreciable difference in my ability to control rotary aircraft without smashing into the ground like a brick.

How is that working out so far? I also have those CH pedals.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on June 04, 2021, 08:24:30 AM

The Crosswinds are awesome. Extremely high quality. They work great, but so far I have only used them for flying gen 4 jets. I haven't flown helos or other aircraft that really require finesse on the pedals yet. The CH pedals worked fine for me, but I got sick of being made fun of for having them in the DCS forums and on the facebook groups. All of my other sim kit is top end.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 04, 2021, 08:46:18 AM

The Crosswinds are awesome. Extremely high quality. They work great, but so far I have only used them for flying gen 4 jets. I haven't flown helos or other aircraft that really require finesse on the pedals yet. The CH pedals worked fine for me, but I got sick of being made fun of for having them in the DCS forums and on the facebook groups. All of my other sim kit is top end.

The damper mod they sell at MFG is a must-have for helo flying, I hear from my wingmates.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 07, 2021, 12:33:28 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 04, 2021, 08:46:18 AM

The damper mod they sell at MFG is a must-have for helo flying, I hear from my wingmates.

I got it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

WOW. That is cool. 2 weeks free per module within a 6 month period starting with the latest patch release. Then another 6 months to do it again.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Redwolf

Quote from: Destraex on June 11, 2021, 08:34:26 AM
WOW. That is cool. 2 weeks free per module within a 6 month period starting with the latest patch release. Then another 6 months to do it again.

Woah. They have come a long way from the company I knew for having the worst DRM on the planet.

Thing is, this marketing will probably work on me. I can as well buy outright :)

Redwolf

Oh wait.

Quote from: Destraex on June 11, 2021, 08:34:26 AM

https://youtu.be/hQ5T8P1qJGs

Quote"We apologise [sic] that this offer cannot also be made available on Steam."

I am regretting more and more that I started my DCS collection on Steam :(

So now I need a second install that I use 4 out of 52 weeks a year. Of the slow loading game that really wants the fastest SSD.

Destraex

Yeah. I stayed away from steam for this one.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skoop

You guys seen this one ?

https://www.mudspike.com/dcs-liberation/

It's a 3rd party app that runs a dynamic campaign in dcs.  Works in sp and mp.  You can see the reapers guy demo it on YouTube.

I guess the community couldn't wait for their in house dynamic campaign.