Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grim Reaper isn't a guy. It's a group called the Grim Reapers. The guy in the video is Cap.

For some reason, these guys get a lot of hate. I happen to like their videos as a starting point for quick tutorials on major module systems.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Toonces

Yeah, I've been watching their videos for a few years I guess, and I really like how they seem to have a lot of fun and not take themselves too seriously.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Toonces on June 29, 2021, 05:22:38 PM
Yeah, I've been watching their videos for a few years I guess, and I really like how they seem to have a lot of fun and not take themselves too seriously.

Ditto.  To be honest, watching their stuff prompted me to get DCS - their "Birds and the Bees," play is a hoot.

Yskonyn

I think it's their 'not taking it seriously' that rubs some people the wrong way at times.
Also, at times their tutor stuff isn't very accurate.
I am in the camp of not liking their stuff very much. But I am someone who uses YT solely to learn something, not to watch stuff for entertainment (few exceptions).
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Free Marianas map released with today's open beta update.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Woah. I need to fix my DCS and fly my F-14 on the Marianas map.

That's a nice move on their part.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 30, 2021, 11:53:13 AM
Free Marianas map released with today's open beta update.

Nice! Their map offering is getting stronger with each new one.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mikeck

The maps have gotten really good and almost all of the modules are in great shape. F-16 still needs a lot of features but it's playable. Even nodules like the mirage and mic-19 which used to be bugged up are in great shape. In fact, my favorite aircraft to fly is the Mirage. Not much use against modern 1990+ era aircraft due to the fact that it can't carry any fox-3 missiles and only carries 2 fox-1s. But man, play a 1980's scenario against contemporary aircraft or a low level attack with mk-82Air's and it's a blast. I just love flying it. I've always liked the mig-21 but didn't myself really getting into the Mig-19 now. There is something about gabby to actually fly and control a big powerful Smokey jet with no fly-by-wire that makes combat in it really immersive.

But I've been very impressed with the modules and maps. Syria map is absolutely stunning and has good performance. Persian gulf was always good. Now, the Marianas come out, look fantastic and allows huge fleet battles.

Still haven't played a single game except DCS since May 2019 when Jarhead convinced me that the Av-8b was a good one to fly. It was and I quickly migrated to the F-18....then it was on.

To think that I never liked flight sims before. All it took was to find one that was extremely realistic. Who knew
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Skoop

Been flying the hornet round the clock the past month after shelving it for a while during early access and love it.  It's a masterpiece.

Jarhead0331

With the Pimax, I'm now getting average FPS in the high 50s to low 60s with exceptional FOV (150 degrees) and very good clarity. With the G2, although clarity was second to none, FOV was somewhere between 85 and 90 degrees and FPS hovered somewhere in the 30s to occasional low 40s, pretty much no matter what settings I tweaked. I have a feeling WMR played a role in this.  In addition, when the G2 was active, but I was not in game, it really taxed my GPU with somewhere between 60-90% utilization.  With the Pimax it is at 2%...such a tremendous difference.

One other thing I have discovered is that the optimization between maps varies greatly and quite dramatically in some instances. The Pimax gives me low 40s over the Marianas and mid to high 40s on the Persian Gulf. The Caucus map seems to give me the maximum performance. I haven't checked Syria, Nevada or any of the WWII maps in quite sometime.  Hopefully they will continue to update and optimize the other maps to bring them up to Caucus standard. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

It will never be 'Caucasus standard', because that is the map that runs on the oldest tech unfortunately.
Marianas runs on the newest 2.7 EDGE engine with the latest tech. Syria is somewhere close.

But indeed it does explain the performance differences.

Great to hear you've configured your Pimax to great effect! How much less clear is the vision compared to the G2?
I can imagine the big FOV is awesome!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 04, 2021, 01:55:08 AM
It will never be 'Caucasus standard', because that is the map that runs on the oldest tech unfortunately.
Marianas runs on the newest 2.7 EDGE engine with the latest tech. Syria is somewhere close.

But indeed it does explain the performance differences.

Great to hear you've configured your Pimax to great effect! How much less clear is the vision compared to the G2?
I can imagine the big FOV is awesome!

When tweaked properly, the Pimax has great clarity. It is hard to distinguish from the G2 and the sweet spot is so much larger.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

I get great performance on Syria...about the same as PG and Nevada. Of course Caucuses gives me max performance simply because it's a far less graphics intensive and "real" than the others. Not to mention the damage effects on map structures is much better on newer maps. I'm finding that my performance on the Marianas map is "unimpressive" I guess. It's not like there are a bunch of buildings or cities to draw so I have to guess it's an optimization issue

It would be great if ED would go back and "re-do"'some old things instead of just introducing new. For example, a newly redone F-86/Mig-15 cockpit(s) and updated caucuses map
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on July 05, 2021, 09:26:48 PM
I get great performance on Syria...about the same as PG and Nevada. Of course Caucuses gives me max performance simply because it's a far less graphics intensive and "real" than the others. Not to mention the damage effects on map structures is much better on newer maps. I'm finding that my performance on the Marianas map is "unimpressive" I guess. It's not like there are a bunch of buildings or cities to draw so I have to guess it's an optimization issue

What are your system specs and which VR headset are you using? What is the average FPS you get on Syria and PG?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

I went back to 2D on my 2080ti back-up rig for shits and giggles. Wanted to compare FPS, performance and graphics in 2D with VR. It took me awhile to reconfigure and export the MFD screens to my second monitor with the mounted Cougar MFDs, as its been so crazy long since I've played in 2D and I forgot how to do it. In any event, haven't had the time to test performance, but it is so weird and different. It feels like its going from a true sim experience where you're in the cockpit, to just sitting behind a desk playing a computer game. Maybe that feeling is also enhanced since I'm not sitting in my F-16 ACES II ejection seat with built-in vibrating jetseat?

Regardless, I don't think DCS in 2d is something that is going to take. I just think that once you go VR, there is no coming back.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog