Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2021, 08:26:47 AM

I am probably behind the times here and mentioned before, but when is the expected pre order and availability to actually play date?  Any time soon?

I believe in the 2021 beginning of year roadmap, ED said that the Apache would be released in early access this year...so that would give them about three months. Wags posted a mini-update in August giving a broad overview of where they are in development, so we'll see. If I had to guess, I'd say three to six months.

Here is a general overview of where we are with our US Army AH-64D Mid-Block II (2005-2010):

1- The cockpit graphics are around 90% complete. Remaining items are behind the PLT seat (CB panels and other items), the rifles, cleaning up some temp textures, completing the compass on top of the PLT instrument panel, and few other items.

2- The external model is about 85% complete, with remaining work mostly on the animations, lights, skins, weathering, and damage model.

3- The flight model without SCAS is quite close to where it needs to be, so, much of the FM work is on SCAS and the hold modes. When complete and SCAS engaged, the AH-64D should be the easiest whirly bird to fly in DCS.

4- The cold start procedure is coming along, but it will probably be one of the last items we complete prior to early access launch. All of the sub-systems like the APU, engines, fuel system, electrical, etc. must first be complete.

5- AWS and rockets are nearly complete, with the bulk of the weapons work now focused on the Hellfire 2 (SAL2).

6- Defensive systems like the ASE and CMWS are complete.

7- Initial sounds are integrated, but much tuning and adding of VMU sounds remain.

8- MTADS, IHADSS, MPNVS are well underway with most of the work on clean up and adding some remaining display items.

9- TSD and navigation are complete and undergoing debugging.

There are of course many other items that comprise the larger project, but I hope this will provide you a general overview of where we are in August 2021.

Kind regards,

Wags
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Thank you.  Although I stink at these games, this will be a first day purchase.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 03, 2021, 08:30:53 AM
Thank you.  Although I stink at these games, this will be a first day purchase.

I love the part about the SCAS. I'll be interested to see how the FM compares to other rotary modules in the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

...oh, and not sure how I missed this, but on the Youtube post for the teaser, it does say: "Coming in 2021". They must be pretty confident that they will hit that mark.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2021, 09:02:55 AM
...oh, and not sure how I missed this, but on the Youtube post for the teaser, it does say: "Coming in 2021". They must be pretty confident that they will hit that mark.

Great, hopefully sooner than later:)

Skoop

I'm pretty sure it'll make early access in 2021.  A bare bones EA Apache will be plenty deadly and blast to fly, but it'll be missing many of the fine system details which will come in the next couple years like the f18 and f16.

I don't think it'll get any EA grief like the f16 did because this has been a long time coming to finally get an Apache, people will be ecstatic to get their hands on one.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on September 03, 2021, 10:29:02 AM

I don't think it'll get any EA grief like the f16 did because this has been a long time coming to finally get an Apache, people will be ecstatic to get their hands on one.

One thing I've learned about DCS enthusiasts is that there will always be haters and complainers no matter how potent the magic ED creates.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2021, 11:47:33 AM
One thing I've learned about DCS enthusiasts is that there will always be haters and complainers no matter how potent the magic ED creates.

"But I want my Autogyro!  Why can't I have my Autogyro now?"

mikeck

Not sure if it was intentional, but it does seem like ED has decided to hold off on new modules while they complete the ones that are out. I think a lot of people were pissed when they read features lists for the JF-17 and F-16 that weren't implemented in the F/A-18. Seems they are taking their time with the Eurofighter (ED said we couldn't get a super hornet b/c it was too new and too much was classified....but not an issue for the Eurofighter or the JF-17- which seemed to have performance specs matching the best claims of the PLAA) and A-7.

At any rate, hornet, mirage, harrier, f-14 are all done -or basically done. Really, only the F-16 Remains in a clear early access condition. The way it should be.

Seeemd like we had 4 planes in early access and a few more in "perpetual early access" for awile
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

SirAndrewD

My Crosswinds came in today!  Just 10 minutes in and they feel like a world changer.  I expected a difference from the old Saitek pedals, I didn't expect it to be this extreme.

Stunning piece of kit already.

For those interested in back order turn around time with Virpil, I was happily surprised to get the tracking email this morning showing a Thursday delivery, so it is true that they're turning around much, much faster than before.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 06, 2021, 12:57:28 PM
My Crosswinds came in today!  Just 10 minutes in and they feel like a world changer.  I expected a difference from the old Saitek pedals, I didn't expect it to be this extreme.

For those interested in back order turn around time with Virpil, I was happily surprised to get the tracking email this morning showing a Thursday delivery, so it is true that they're turning around much, much faster than before.

You can thank me when you start shooting everybody down.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Redwolf

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 06, 2021, 12:57:28 PM

Are you using it for fixed or rotary wing?

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Redwolf on September 06, 2021, 02:32:00 PM

Are you using it for fixed or rotary wing?

Both.  The only DCS helo module I have is the Huey but I'm considering the Hind and 100% getting the Apache. 

I felt the pedals were absolutely necessary to do that.  The prior set just wasn't ever comfortable enough and they'd degraded to the point where I had a hard time even taxiing with them.

It felt smooth as butter to just Taxi a P-51 in DCS and IL2.

Definite props to Jarhead for the recommendation.    I'm still probably not going to be shooting very many down outside of WW1 planes until I get the stick though.  I don't hate the X-56 for the price point but for me it's just not enough for the level of flying I'm doing now.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

SirAndrewD

Well....I've gone and done it. 

Review of the Virpil setup upcoming...

Toonces

That is a seriously sweet setup!   :dreamer:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs