Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Wow SirAndrew...I'm not even a simmer but that is sweetness  :dreamer:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Wow, well, the Virpil stick is another game changer. 

It really lays bare how bad the gimble and the center slop is on the X-56.  The issue I kept constantly having with the X-56 was overcorrection.  Input curves were a necessity and even then they couldn't compensate for too little fine movement that quickly swung over into over pulling and stalls. 

Not so in the Mongoose on the T50CM-2 mount.  Just the tiniest input is felt in the aircraft, and even with no curves and deadzones correction is smooth and linear. 

I could NEVER properly fly the Tomcat in DCS with the X-52 with any hard maneuvering.  I could on first try with the Mongoose.  I easily did nape of the earth treetop flying with burner in the F/A 18... 

The feel is incredible.

Downsides are the mount coupled with the 200mm extension.   The Virpil Long mount just isn't long enough and it makes the stick sit far higher than I want.  I'll adjust with chair height but it's a bit of a bummer that they didn't add more length.  It's a tad uncomfortable on the arm in the configuration it's in on a standard desk.  Just another 3-4 inches of length and it'd be ideal. 

Also, since the stick angels far back from the desk, it's made me sit farther than usual, so I can't comfortably reach my throttle on its much thinner mount.  I'll have to find another temporary mounting solution for my throttle until I can upgrade to a longer mount.   

Still, despite my disappointment with the mount, the stick is amazing.  It's in the ultra premium price point so it's surely hard to justify, but flying with it once erased any buyers remorse. 

Now the long, hard road of button remaps.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Toonces

I don't envy you having to re-map your DCS controls at all.  What a nightmare.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Toonces on September 10, 2021, 12:07:03 AM
I don't envy you having to re-map your DCS controls at all.  What a nightmare.

Did the easy one and remapped IL2 first. 

Gone is the dreaded "Don't pull back on the stick too much" prompt in tutorial mode. 

Man, I'm in love with this stick. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Yskonyn

Nice setup with accompanying rug!  \m/

Which modules do you fly most often?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

I'm thinking about ordering the winwing super libra and Taurus set, but shipping to the states is almost $250. Why is it that high? It's the only thing holding me back.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Yskonyn on September 10, 2021, 04:17:57 AM
Nice setup with accompanying rug!  \m/

Which modules do you fly most often?

Thanks!   

Right now mostly the F/A 18 and F86.  I also play with a lot of the warbirds.  I really want to see some older jets like the F4 and F8 with an at least partial Vietnam map.

Now that I can actually fly the Tomcat I'm going to take my time to learn it.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 10, 2021, 06:43:25 AM
I'm thinking about ordering the winwing super libra and Taurus set, but shipping to the states is almost $250. Why is it that high? It's the only thing holding me back.

I hear the Winwing set is very comparable to the Virpil and VKB. 

As to the shipping it's probably the current awful state of post pandemic Chinese freight prices.   I know that bulk is through the roof right now. 

I've been glad our printers and paper suppliers for our business are states side because I have heard of competitors that are getting eaten on their pennies on a dollar suppliers on their overseas shipping costs.

SirAndrewD

Oh boy I just bought the Virpil throttle.

My wife laughed and hugged me.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 10, 2021, 10:27:58 PM

Ye married a saint, lad.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on September 11, 2021, 09:51:57 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 10, 2021, 10:27:58 PM

Ye married a saint, lad.

Don't have to tell me that. 

Even before we dated, like more than a decade and a half before she knew that I was a nerd that spent all my time with a cheap joystick playing Red Baron and Aces over the Pacific/Europe.

Always a good thing to marry your childhood best friend that you never went out with till you were 29.  S'why she's in my avatar.

Jarhead0331

Supposedly ED, in a Russian language interview, confirmed that the Phantom is in the works and will be released sooner than anyone would expect.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2021, 09:59:13 PM
Supposedly ED, in a Russian language interview, confirmed that the Phantom is in the works and will be released sooner than anyone would expect.

Yes!

And man...I finally overcame one of my DCS roadblocks. 

Stuck a clean carrier landing in the F/A-18 on my FIRST TRY with the Mongoose. 

This is something I failed to do endlessly with the X-52 pro and X-56.

Wasn't even flying center stick, was just testing after I got my stick remap. 

That is just a testament to the difference this thing makes.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on September 13, 2021, 05:37:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2021, 09:59:13 PM

Yes!

And man...I finally overcame one of my DCS roadblocks. 

Stuck a clean carrier landing in the F/A-18 on my FIRST TRY with the Mongoose. 

This is something I failed to do endlessly with the X-52 pro and X-56.

Wasn't even flying center stick, was just testing after I got my stick remap. 

That is just a testament to the difference this thing makes.

Wait until you nail an AAR. That is something that realistically can only be accomplished with a "real" stick and throttle.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog