Started by TheCommandTent, April 02, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

I see you like the older classics.   ;D

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

LongBlade

Sweet! I haven't used the acid bottles much. I see they work well in your choke points :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Kushan

My current Skyrim chracter, a level 42 knight.

Exiled Blades Armor (Current armor set)

Ebony Wolf Armor

Ebony Plate Armor from the Knights of Skyrim Mod

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

jomni

Nefaro

My SU-25T had a scrape with ground fire on the last pass.

Staggerwing

Quote from: jomni on April 20, 2013, 09:50:08 AM
New plane. Woo hoo!

Bombardier! nice...  :)

Quote from: Nefaro on April 20, 2013, 10:03:27 AM
My SU-25T had a scrape with ground fire on the last pass.

Look on the bright side... better cockpit ventilation! ;)

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Kushan

My search for armor for my noble/crusader Skyrim character continues. This one looks a little too much like parade ground armor for my usual taste, but since I am only a level or two away from getting the dragon smithing perk, I think I'm going to keep it. It's not to bad in these shots, but when right next to a light source its almost blindingly bright.

Divine Aegis HD: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9109

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

-budd-

Well my time with "Orcs Must Die1" is over for now, it is finished[plus the dlc bonus levels]. I enjoyed the game and recommend it if you like a little tower defense action. enjoyed trying out the different trap combo's and the humor and variety of approaches to defense you could use. I'll be visiting it again and i still have #2 to play.

I've moved on to Amnesia the Dark Decent for a little different flavor.

I'm currently here......can't see anything but unfriendly noises and steps in the water.

Think i'll stay out of the water.  ;)
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've been playing the Battle of Sokolovo: 1943 DLC for Achtung Panzer: Operation Star.  It focuses on a joint Soviet/ Czechoslovakian defence of the village of Sokolovo in the Ukraine in March, 1943.

The Germans gave my Czechoslovakian forces a hell of a battering early on and succeeded in taking the village but I was able to bring in reinforcements, including 3 OT-34 flamethrower tanks.  I managed to push back the bulk of the German forces from Sokolovo and isolated the remnants of a Wehrmacht mechanized infantry company in the southeast corner of the town.  I counter-attacked with two platoons of Czechoslovakian infantry, one platoon of Czechoslovakian engineers, 4 Soviet Maxim machinegun teams, and 3 Soviet OT-34 flamethrower tanks.  The Germans had had a few days to dig in so I was expecting some stiff resistance.

I assaulted from three points.  In the south, I put the 4 Maxims in line at the edge of an open field so they could hopefully supress the German defenders while the engineer platoon worked its way up a sunken road to the south of the MGs.

There was a lot of good terrain in the middle, so I sent in a platoon of infantry supported by all three flame tanks.  The frozen creek beds in the woods provided good cover for the rifle platoons to work up towards the objective.

In the north, I decided to move the remaining rifle platoon into the village so they could hopefully hook around the German's flank and hit them from the side while they were preoccupied with the tanks and MGs.

The frozen creek beds did indeed provide excellent cover and I was able to move my riflemen up unseen and they then took up position on the edge of the woods overlooking the village.  The Germans spotted them just moments before they were ready to open fire.  German signal flares went up and the Czechs in the woods started taking heavy mortar fire while those to the north in the village came under sustained but ineffective HMG fire.

The Germans were indeed well dug in with gun pits, interlocking trenches, and even some berms for their half-tracks.  My group in the middle started taking casualties from the mortars and MG-34 fire and went to ground.  In the north, the MG fire harassed and suppressed my riflemen and their progress began to slow as they went to ground despite taking only two casualties.  I thought I was going to get bogged down but then the tanks went in...

It turns out Germans are highly flammable...

The tanks just tore through the German defences.  It was amazing to watch.  The Germans had a few AT and Inf guns, but the shells just bounced off the OT-34s and then a quick squirt of flame would silence the gun. 

But not the gun crew. 

After watching 4 gun crews and 6 half-tracks get roasted, the remaining Germans just gave up en masse.  I've never seen that happen in an AP game before.   I've seen pockets of isolated groups give up but never entire companies at once.

Flamethrower tanks rule!

TheCommandTent

Good stuff SDR.  You should totally put more this together for a full blown AAR in the AAR forum section.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

RooksBailey

Nice screenshots of AP!  That is a wargame that took far too long to get some popular traction.   I have to re-install my copy one day when I am in a WWII mood again.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Jarhead0331

^Seriously...great mini-AAR.  What an immersive game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

Thanks.  I'm still learning the nuances of the UI.  I still tend to lose units a lot when I shouldn't have because I'm not always clear how to get the units to do what I want.

For example, in the battle posted above, I had wanted my Czech riflemen to stay down in the lowest section of those creek beds but they spread out into line once they finished their move order.  Some climbed out of the creek bed and up onto the backs and were thus spotted and mortared by the Germans.

I now know what I did wrong in that instance but I still sometimes have trouble getting my guys to behave as I'd like.  Once I get a better handle on things, I'll write up an AAR.