Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Give War Thunder a bash.  It's free to play and offers up different modes from arcade battles to full real sim mode (think sim lite like Wings of Prey or Third Wire titles).   You can unlock new planes, missions and dynamic campaigns that you can play solo or online.

undercovergeek

i did indeed give this a bash and enjoyed it but then felt the usual feeling of multi player gaming - everyones out for the points and the k/d ratio, i should have a wingman, or a partner but hes gone off to get himself some points for his next machine gun upgrade and now im dead - i suppose this has answered one of my questions, i think im looking at modern/semi modern - tornados and harriers and upwards

Boggit

Quote from: Shelldrake on April 23, 2014, 01:41:49 PM
Quote from: fran on April 23, 2014, 01:24:47 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on April 23, 2014, 06:59:38 AM
I clicked on Tutorials and apart from some manual looking screens nothing happened, so i tried the first campaign thinking it might ease you in. However I seemed to only have one unit? and then I was swarmed by the enemy. I probably need to search for some lets play videos.

Good start is 200-Page Guide to Wargame: Red Dragon
By SandyGunfox

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=247884292

Thanks Fran, very useful!
Great find. A really comprehensive explanation. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 13, 2014, 04:42:46 PM
i did indeed give this a bash and enjoyed it but then felt the usual feeling of multi player gaming - everyones out for the points and the k/d ratio, i should have a wingman, or a partner but hes gone off to get himself some points for his next machine gun upgrade and now im dead - i suppose this has answered one of my questions, i think im looking at modern/semi modern - tornados and harriers and upwards

Have you tried the dynamic campaigns?  You can play them solo. 

GDS_Starfury

surely you're a little bi?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

undercovergeek

would you be disappointed if i said no?

Gusington

Not in the fact that you said no but in the fact that you were lying.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

oooooo, harsh!  :)

are you guys skirmishing or campaigning?

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Gusington

No this is my first one in the series.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

right, the flight sim urge has come and gone (it was close) and ill be getting this tonight, no game has ever come with a stronger tag line or recommendation

'it's got boats, dude'

just put that on the box

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 13, 2014, 04:42:46 PM
i think im looking at modern/semi modern - tornados and harriers and upwards

If you ever find a decent modern flight sim with Tornadoes modelled, let me know.

The only place to do so is with Strike Fighters 2 by downloading the user flyable ones.  The SF2: Europe version and the campaign editor if you want to do a dynamic campaign with them IIRC. 

A sizable portion of the flyable aircraft mods for SF2 can be a pain in the ass to implement, but some are just dropping files where they go.  As an example, I downloaded the mods for a Mirage F-1C, Marine Harrier, a couple different F-16 models other than the vanilla -16A that comes with SF2: Israel, a Tornado GR.1, a Jaguar, a Buccaneer, and one or two others (MiG-21?).  Out of all those, the only one that was a matter of unzipping was the Mirage F-1C (with it's own cockpit that looks amazing, btw).  The others usually involved more work or something. 

I still want to drop in more, including MiGs now that I have the campaign editor to fly the Red side, but I gotta be in the mood to screw with "Mod Soup" first.  Also.. I really want to push the hi-res terrain "bubble" out further but it requires a hex edit of some file since there is no in-game option.  I recall trying it a couple years ago and not getting it to work properly.  Haven't found a pre-modded file for d/l yet either, which is surprising.

That one does come with British Harriers in the vanilla version, however.   So there is at least one British a/c and I think you can also get a DLC with their older BAC Lightning.

Shelldrake

Just learning my way around WRD. Playing co-op with some buddies against the AI is a lot of fun.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

^Once I get up to speed I'll be happy to MP with you. Got my regular internet back too :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd