Battlefleet Gothic Armada II

Started by Gusington, January 24, 2018, 02:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 25, 2019, 02:25:08 AM
D, were the restraining orders to keep you away from her, or from tabletop gaming locations where guys all sit around and have creepy conversations about the way GW should tweak their game lore?

The latter.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Would the nice, rich, hot Polish lady be interested in publishing an award-winning but sadly overlooked epic fantasy novel which now has nearly 5000 copies floating around Africa freely for humanitarian reasons and also because my distributor kicked me out of the warehouse despite me paying rent faithfully for ten years?

:coolsmiley:

I could guarantee at least a trilogy out of it.  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 25, 2019, 06:52:13 PM
Would the nice, rich, hot Polish lady be interested in publishing an award-winning but sadly overlooked epic fantasy novel which now has nearly 5000 copies floating around Africa freely for humanitarian reasons and also because my distributor kicked me out of the warehouse despite me paying rent faithfully for ten years?

:coolsmiley:

I could guarantee at least a trilogy out of it.  8)

Sadly fiction isn't our business model.   :-\
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

The campaign AI seems totally broken. All it does is build up fleets and defenses on occasion. I'm 15 turns into the Imperial campaign and I am yet to see a single enemy fleet change position or move to a different sector.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

There is an "urgency" system in the campaign that increases each turn. Apparently, enemy fleets do not start mobilizing until the urgency level reaches a certain point. I just reached that level and received a warning that enemy fleets would now begin mobilizing and attacking neighboring sectors. It is an interesting mechanic, but I think the urgency system needs to be tweaked. At this point, I've pretty much bottled up the remaining enemy fleets so unless they pull a chaos rabbit out of their hats, I'm not too concerned about losing systems to their attacks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Could you riposte with a vorpal bunny?

{Monty Python joke goes here}
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

SirAndrewD

The threat system in the game is actually meant to represent the ebb and flow of the 13th Black Crusade, and provide some balance. 

I was confused by it at first and thought the same as JH, the Chaos forces just sat there waiting early on. 

However, like I hoped, it is meant to represent the pause after the fall of Cadia that allowed the Imperium to rally and counterattack. 

As the threat bar increases, the enemy becomes more aggressive.  I read further on the forums and apparently when some of the other factions come in, they're aggressive to the point that a few decry them as nearly impossible to stave off. 

Mechanically, it makes the Imperial player stay on the offensive, discouraging turtling and building, which would end up being for naught anyway considering their massive resource imbalance. 

It also prevents Chaos from wiping out the Imperium on turn one.  It lets them represent the lore situation, having the Imperium in a strategically hopeless situation in terms of being outnumbered and outgunned, but giving the player an early handicap to turn it around.

JasonPratt

Great!

Though it would be even more lorey if Chaos were fighting each other at first after their victory.  >:D

Jarhead0331

I've also noticed that at some point in the early campaign, the strategic capture points stopped showing up in battles. My last several battles have been traditional engagements requiring total destruction of the enemy fleets.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 27, 2019, 09:43:06 AM
I've also noticed that at some point in the early campaign, the strategic capture points stopped showing up in battles. My last several battles have been traditional engagements requiring total destruction of the enemy fleets.

I noticed at the campaign start menu that the default was a mix of battle types. Cruiser clash, convoy etc. I wonder whether cap point was in that mix. You had the option to choose only one battle type.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

SirAndrewD

A friendly tip. 

While the urgency timer pushes the player to keep up a brisk pace and stay on the offensive, you shouldn't go TOO fast, and there are times that the timer can be milked a bit to let you build up. 

For example, after you take the Cadian system, and before the story mission to repel the Chaos counterattack, you can wait until level three in urgency before additional Chaos invasions will typically spawn in large enough numbers to be a problem.   That lull gives you precious time to build resources, tailor your fleet and collect battle plans from the listening post you can establish.

You'll need this, because when I rushed I found the second story mission to rescue Battlegroup Silver Dawn to be impossible when I tried to do it on turn 19.  By milking the timer carefully, you can approach that battle with many cruisers and even battlecruisers which helps a lot. 

Take care though, if you let the timer too long you could face an invasion randomly in the Cadian system of fleets sometimes as large as 1200 points in strength.

Also, do not fully upgrade the listening post in the Cadian sector.  It's bugged and stops providing battle plans if you make it level III.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Eldar are a real pain as the Imperial player, but can be dealt with.

Their shields are strong, but get wrecked when you detect them. 

You can't out maneuver the Eldar, but you can keep forcing them back to the corners of the engagement area. 

They're vulnerable to boarding actions, especially by Space Marines.  Use it.  You can turn them into derelicts fast if you get up on them and do a few good Honor of the Chapter and well timed boarding strikes.

Eldar also hate ramming and torpedoes. 

They tend to stick in one spot and shoot from stealth.  Nova cannons and Plasma Bombs can wreck them as they do this.  A Stasis Bomb can lock them down in the spot if they aren't aware.