Does this make you feel better about travelling to Mexico

Started by Centurion40, January 31, 2012, 11:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centurion40

I think not.  It's front page news over here.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/editorials/57433-sensational-arrest-mexico-beating-doesnt-inspire-confidence

QuoteMEMO to the Mexican authorities: Canadians do not find it comforting to see a suspect paraded before the media even before he is paraded before a judge. Nor do they find spontaneous confessions persuasive if the accused is flanked by masked, black-clad, rifle-toting storm troopers.

Such displays smack of state intimidation, which hardly reinforces confidence in Mexico as a safe place. What would be confidence-inspiring is professional police work that stands up to the scrutiny of an impartial judiciary. We may yet see evidence of this as the case of Sheila Nabb moves forward.

But Saturday's sensational news conference, during which a 28-year-old Mexican admitted to the brutal beating of the Nova Scotia native at a five-star resort, only deepened the mystery of what happened to her in the early-morning hours of Jan. 20. The 37-year-old has since been flown home to Calgary where she'll undergo reconstructive surgery.

After bar-hopping with a Canadian acquaintance, Jose Ramon Acosta Quintero claims to have been drunk and high on cocaine when he encountered Ms. Nabb naked on a hotel elevator after midnight. The local man knew he was not authorized to be on the premises and says he panicked when she began to panic. He says he hit her repeatedly and fled, leaving her lying in a pool of blood.

Heh.  It's been a while since I've read "storm trooper" in news copy unrelated to "Star Wars"!!!

Any time is a good time for pie.

son_of_montfort

QuoteJose Ramon Acosta Quintero claims to have been drunk and high on cocaine when he encountered Ms. Nabb naked on a hotel elevator after midnight. The local man knew he was not authorized to be on the premises and says he panicked when she began to panic.

Lots of issues here. Was Ms. Nabb naked or Jose naked? And it wasn't the nudity on an elevator that made him panic... but the fact he felt the nude person would report him to authorities?

After reading the rest of the article... she was the naked one...

From the article:
QuoteYet all the pieces of the puzzle don't seem to fit.

Yah think? Sounds perfectly clear to me...  :o

I'm going to quote Rick James here: "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

I don't know how much money you would have to pay me to go to Mexico, but I sure wouldn't pay to go there these days.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on January 31, 2012, 06:14:12 PM
I don't know how much money you would have to pay me to go to Mexico, but I sure wouldn't pay to go there these days.

Agreed.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

MIGMaster

I think it has a lot to do with where you are going in Mexico. I'm heading to Cozumel in March and the last time I was there things seemed safe, decent police prescence, etc... But it seems like the whole pacific coast and northern areas are very volatile. Of course, if I suddenly stop posting in a month or so please disregard these comments  ;)

LongBlade

Quote from: MIGMaster on February 01, 2012, 11:59:14 AM
I think it has a lot to do with where you are going in Mexico. I'm heading to Cozumel in March and the last time I was there things seemed safe, decent police prescence, etc... But it seems like the whole pacific coast and northern areas are very volatile. Of course, if I suddenly stop posting in a month or so please disregard these comments  ;)

That's the thing - Mexico appears to be stable in some places. I've heard through several sources that it is.

However, like a bad flu virus, inevitably I think the rest of the country is going to get infected. Mexico is effectively in a state of civil war. It's just that only half the country knows it right now.

Steelgrave

If you have not watched the fourth season of Sons of Anarchy.....STOP HERE.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

In "Sons" last season, it was revealed that the CIA was backing a Mexican drug cartel because, even though they were "bad guys", backing a cartel seemed to be the best way to stabilize Mexico. It was brought up that we have done similar things in South America. I thought it was an interesting premise, at least.

Centurion40

I stopped.  But can't you change the color of the font or something so that I don't read it accidentally???!!!  I mean, help a brother out over here!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Steelgrave

Sorry, Cen. I think there is some spoiler key but I'm still learning my way around the dashboard.

LongBlade

Quote from: Steelgrave on February 01, 2012, 06:26:23 PM
Sorry, Cen. I think there is some spoiler key but I'm still learning my way around the dashboard.

Bulletin Board Code has been enabled. There are a few dozen tags, I think this link covers most: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

Steelgrave

Thanks, LB. I appreciate how you are bringing me along here   :)