Revisiting Naval Action

Started by MengJiao, May 04, 2019, 06:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Well, I've never been a pirate and I've sailed dutifully out of Havana off and on for years.  Seems like U-boat plus Naval Action (where you manage your brig to avoid mutinies) would be a lot better than Naval Action as it is...but here's an image (I'm playing usually with Hercules plus a Privateer) from a fight where its hard to see what's happening.  What is happening is that I'm in Hercules trying to approach a wreck for salvage and two ships are still firing on each other in the distance:

smittyohio

Wait, is that the battle scene from the last Game of Thrones episode???

Destraex

I still have friends that play this. One just purchased the paints. I still enjoy it whenever I play it. However I am waiting for release. Like a lot of people. Still one of the best games I have ever played. I look forward to release. Should be soon I hope.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

RedArgo

After they announced they will be resetting all the XP on the final wipe, it kind of took the wind out of my sails.  I'm sure I'll drift back to it at some point after release though.

JasonPratt

Quote from: smittyohio on May 04, 2019, 07:17:26 AM

lol'd at the darkness joke!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: RedArgo on May 06, 2019, 07:30:34 AM
After they announced they will be resetting all the XP on the final wipe, it kind of took the wind out of my sails.  I'm sure I'll drift back to it at some point after release though.

I drifted back.  Very idly.  Bought the Requin on sail (haha!) bumbling through PvE:

Destraex

PVE is very relaxing. I still love naval action, but cannot bring myself to play it because my time sink is Star Citizen. Still lots of fond memories of this game. It now models sail shadowing (stealing another ships wind by blocking the direction the wind is coming from) which is really neat.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on November 28, 2021, 09:03:20 PM
PVE is very relaxing. I still love naval action, but cannot bring myself to play it because my time sink is Star Citizen. Still lots of fond memories of this game. It now models sail shadowing (stealing another ships wind by blocking the direction the wind is coming from) which is really neat.

Yes, the game is pretty advanced compared to what it was back in my PvP days.  Back then, I just bought long 4 pounders and very slowly knocked my opponents to pieces from outside the range they could do me any damage.  Made gobs of money and I cruised on that for a few years.  Now I stay in PvE cuz I have no real idea how things work these days.  Even with the Requin loaded with 9 pders and a huge crew I've barely survived some encounters with minor AI pirates after they shot off my rudder and such.  Fortunately the Requin is still completely OP despite having been nerfed in every possible way for the last few years apparently. 

bobarossa

I see the game is only $10 US for next 22 hours.  Can't figure out how many ships come with that base price.  Cheapest ship DLC shown is over $8 more.  Most over $20.  Some reviewers say you must join a clan to survive.  What say you?

MengJiao

Quote from: bobarossa on November 30, 2021, 02:53:48 PM
I see the game is only $10 US for next 22 hours.  Can't figure out how many ships come with that base price.  Cheapest ship DLC shown is over $8 more.  Most over $20.  Some reviewers say you must join a clan to survive.  What say you?

I'm on the PvE server these days.  I've had money in the game since the dawn of game time so I'm not sure if you need a clan.  the cheapest ship is pretty good though (the Requin).  I've never been much of a serious player in this game since my early glory days in 2016 so I'm not a good source for how to survive.  You can do some passenger missions to get money for guns early on and on the PvE server those should be safe and you can learn to use the wind and fish for shipwreck bottles (which I would just sell)...once you have guns you can work your way up.  I've never gotten past a few of the lesser frigates so again...not really sure about clans and such.  Don't worry about the expensive ships; you don't have enough crew for those anyway.   You would go...Cutter...Requin (if you buy that) and so on...

Toonces

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 06, 2019, 07:43:43 AM
Quote from: smittyohio on May 04, 2019, 07:17:26 AM

lol'd at the darkness joke!

LOL!  +1!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

I play naval action pretty heavy, I'm at 2,700 + hours in the pvp server.  I play in one of the main Clans in Great Britain.  We do more than just Naval Action though, we takes breaks at times and hit dcs pretty hard or Star Citizen.  Then a big pvp war will start and bring us all back to Naval Action. 

This is one of the most punishing steep learning curve games from the pvp side, but also very rewarding when you score a good victory or win an intense port battle.  I've had some of the most epic gaming experiences in this game over the last year sailing with my clan bros.

Destraex

I have also had some really good experiences in Naval Action. Like star citizen it was a really long development road that paid off well I thought.
Is the PVP community still strong?

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on November 30, 2021, 04:34:43 PM
Quote from: bobarossa on November 30, 2021, 02:53:48 PM

I'm on the PvE server these days.

And here's the Pandora (with hammocks I can have the right crew for this ship):

Skoop

Quote from: Destraex on December 01, 2021, 07:13:40 PM
I have also had some really good experiences in Naval Action. Like star citizen it was a really long development road that paid off well I thought.
Is the PVP community still strong?

No and yes. No in a sense that the game is so punishing for new players, they end up being breakfast for guys like me.  Yes in a sense that it's the same die hard players that have been playing since the beginning.