Meta Quest 2 - Good enough?

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 03, 2022, 09:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Although I have resisted purchasing VR, mostly because I have a feeling I might get motion sickness, thinking about jumping in this holiday season.  Been seeing the Meta Quest 2 advertised a bit and probably in the price range where I would want to be for my first attempt at this.  Just general thoughts....

- I am not looking to break the bank especially since I don't know how I'll react to it.

- Certainly will look to play some games on it through the PC.

- Use it to explore other non-game VR environments

Meta 2 good enough for these purposes and/or there other options I should be seeking for this price range and purpose?  Also, can you play games from Steam and other places on the device, or can you only play games that you buy through the Meta store?

Jarhead0331

In the price range of the quest 2, it is probably your best option. It sounds like it will suit your needs just fine. Yes, you can run steam games on it if you connect to a pc via airlink or wire.

Meta has released its next gen headset, but it is much more expensive and far out of this price range.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 03, 2022, 11:16:40 AM
In the price range of the quest 2, it is probably your best option. It sounds like it will suit your needs just fine. Yes, you can run steam games on it if you connect to a pc via airlink or wire.

Meta has released its next gen headset, but it is much more expensive and far out of this price range.

Thanks...been looking at stuff this morning and agree it's my best option.  Until I figure out how much I will use and whether any sickness, not ready for the big bucks yet.  Appreciate the feedback.

Father Ted

I have the Quest 2, and, in my opinion, it's not really up to simming (certainly not MP combat at least - is good enough for MSFS).  Regarding motion sickness, I bought a lightweight flight "sim" from the online store and that did make me feel sick.  I think that was because it didn't fly "right" - never that sort of problem even dogfighting in IL2:BoX.

Another note of caution is that the cost of a Quest 2 my well creep up post purchase.  Assuming you won't need to beef up your PC, you'll need at least the cable to tether it to your PC (or a dedicated wifi booster).  The branded one is exorbitant - but I got an off-brand one for about £15 and it's fine.  I did have to get a USB-port card for the PC though (has to have USB3).  The head-strap which ships with the set is next to useless - I spent another £35 on an upgrade, which is better but not great.  I also invested in some lenses to replace having to wear glasses in the thing.  These are very good and I'd definitely recommend if you need to correct your vision - makes the whole thing much more comfortable.  But they'll set you back another £100 or so.

Grim.Reaper

Thank you for the additional consideration.  I was aware about the cable and also saw some of the cheaper ones, pc should handle things well enough.  Good heads up on straps and other things I'll need to consider.  For this first go around, looking at this more of a trial and for the basics as I know it will have limitations.  If goes well then in the future can think about upgrading, just not really sure how much I'll actually use.  Some of the basic games like vadar, boxing, and football might keep me entertained enough:)

Grim.Reaper

So I did end up getting this for xmas.....although haven't had a ton of time to play, it really surprised me how unique it was and interesting.  Not sure what I was expecting but has exceeded my expectations so far.  Purchased a bunch of sports titles and various other things and each one has been fun to play and you get a little bit of a workout:)  So far only got motion sick trying the roller coaster simulator, all others I have been fine.  I don't have a ton of open space in my room so it has taken me a little bit to trust myself not hitting things as I play:)  Haven't attached to the PC yet although I did purchase the necessary cord, some day I will get around to trying that.

nelmsm

Be interested in hearing how you enjoy it as you go along.  I was thinking of getting one and using it mainly to get some exercise with it, like in boxing or something.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: nelmsm on December 27, 2022, 08:19:59 PM
Be interested in hearing how you enjoy it as you go along.  I was thinking of getting one and using it mainly to get some exercise with it, like in boxing or something.

Played quite a bit today and so far. like it a lot.  I don't plan on doing any "serious" gaming on it, but have bought a bunch of sports games and miscellaneous others.  Two of the titles I picked up were boxing related (creed and thrill of the fight) and have to say they have kicked my butt.  I am exhausted after finishing a fight and "feels" like a decent workout as I am also sweating afterwards.  Seen some articles that suggest you could burn up to 200 or so calories in 25-30 minute sessions.  It certainly isn't going to match an actual gym workout, but I can see how this could get a person some basic exercise.  They have full fitness apps but those require subscriptions and not sure I have room in the house to do everything they would want.

Even the Tennis game and ping pong game can make we work...and just bought the Climb game which is a mountain/building climbing game game, even that gives me a decent work out.  Not too mention the Vader games I bought where I get to wield the light saber, it also keeps me moving.  It's amazing how you feel part of everything, never thought it would be this cool.  Purchased a football game too where it feels like your on the field as the QB...really cool stuff.  Also got the bowling, golf, mini-golf darts, and cornhole games which are less stressful but really fun.  Geesh, as I am listing all these out, realizing I probably spent too much already:)

I can see this entertaining me and having good fun with these, kind of nice to play some of these types of games versus always burning out my brain on deep war and strategy games:)  In fact, I pretty much spent all my planned holiday money on these games, not sure I have left anything for PC games:)

Grim.Reaper

This continues to be my surprise item of 2022, never thought I would like it this much.  Wish I would have jumped on it sooner.

- Purchased a fitness game called BodyCombat...really like it as it is a nice workout for being at home.  No subscription required which is a bonus.
- Purchased another game called HoloPoint...although wasn't intended to be a workout game, it is a gem that is very active.  Basically use bow and arrow but a lot of action, squatting and such. 
- Played more of the Vader series, really cool graphics and such, fun to yield a light saber.
- Tons more boxing.  Although not super realistic, heck of a workout you can get pummeling each other.
- Did try hooking up the headset to play a couple PC games, actually just used the air link without any issues so that will further open up gaming.

As others pointed out, I also did have to add a few accessories.  Purchased a new head strap because the default one had too much pressure on my forehead, plus this new one has battery packs to extend gameplay.  Also purchased some new grips because I play a lot of active games, was afraid I was going to throw my controllers across the room.  These have some very good hand straps to make it much more safe.

Because of this game system, don't think I will be making any winter sales or WDS purchases as I have spent way too much already on this:)  Absolutely getting my money's worth.

Jarhead0331

Glad to hear you like it.

VR is just one of those things that has to be experienced in order to understand and appreciate it's present capability and true future potential.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2023, 09:15:55 AM

VR is just one of those things that has to be experienced in order to understand and appreciate it's present capability and true future potential.

Totally agree....I never expected the experience to be what it turned out.  Can't wait to see where things head in the future.

The one thing I am not sure about yet is more working with the PC and more advanced games like flight and car simulators.  I am going to try them at some point and see if they click with me as I am not sure if I can control everything well enough (have a hard time even normal ways) and not sure if motion sickness will come into play.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 02, 2023, 09:28:23 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2023, 09:15:55 AM

Totally agree....I never expected the experience to be what it turned out.  Can't wait to see where things head in the future.

The one thing I am not sure about yet is more working with the PC and more advanced games like flight and car simulators.  I am going to try them at some point and see if they click with me as I am not sure if I can control everything well enough (have a hard time even normal ways) and not sure if motion sickness will come into play.

For me, as you know, this is where the VR action is really at. Roomscale games that get you up and moving around are great, but the immersion that VR affords for simulation is unlike anything else out there. When I first experienced it, I came here and posted that VR would revolutionize the genre. I stand by that. Thanks to VR, I'm obsessed with flight sims like DCS. It is the closest thing to being in the cockpit and the only limitation is the hardware, be it PC or headset. It is why I have scoured the Earth and spent a small fortune on technology that can maximize clarity with performance.  Still, even with a Quest 2 and a modest PC, you can still have a very immersive and exciting experience. 

If you want to jump right into VR flight simming, definitely check out a game called VTOL VR. It is very different from DCS in terms of graphics and fidelity, but no less of a superb VR flight experience and the best part is the cockpit is fully implemented in VR.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Great, thanks for the tip...I'll check out that game.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Grim.Reaper

Bought it and did the first couple of tutorials, love how everything is in virtual world.  Did get a little motion sickness so might have to ease into this one:)