US/Global Defense Budget Analysis

Started by bayonetbrant, March 20, 2012, 09:02:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

The middle panel seems most important, IMHO. It isn't so much how much money is spent, but what proportion to the GDP. In comparison, we are on par with wealthy nations in at risk areas. I also think that it is interesting that the US makes up the majority of defense spending of North America and Canada only takes up 2%. Canadians, time to pull your weight!  ;)

What would be more interesting is to see numbers of personnel compared. I get the sense we have more money per soldier spent but that we have far fewer soldiers than China. Of course, no way would we be able to get accurate numbers on this, but it would be cool to know.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

LongBlade

The middle one is interesting for several reasons.

Friends: US + Israel.

Questionables: Saudi, Oman, Jordan, Iraq.

Trending hostile: Myanmar, Algeria, Yeman.

Armenia?

Food for thought there.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Brazil is top 10 in defense spending? I'll admit that's a bit of a surprise.

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 20, 2012, 05:41:55 PM

They are terribly close to Antarctica.

All joking aside, the unrest in Colombia is hardly encouraging if you're a neighbor. And the real estate they have to cover is respectable.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Arctic Blast

Exactly! We're keeping you guys warm by taking on those fearsome Arctic weather fronts...

son_of_montfort

Considering their government is only a step away from a military junta, I'm not surprised.

QuoteThe middle one is interesting for several reasons.

Friends: US + Israel.

Questionables: Saudi, Oman, Jordan, Iraq.

Trending hostile: Myanmar, Algeria, Yeman.

Armenia?

Food for thought there.

Sort of interesting in this sense, but more interesting to me that our ratio of spending is akin to a place with "hot" borders. Considering the US's international focus, I think we consider all hot borders our responsibility.

Another interesting piece is that the main member nations of the UN hardly show up on that list.

I would like to know the breakdown of how our defense money is spent in comparison to other countries.

Also, wasn't overspending on defense one of the signs of Rome falling? Ok, that was more a joke than a discussion point...  ;)
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

Very interesting thanks for sharing the graphs.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

They're thinking of building a Maginot line between Colombia and Guyana in case Li'l Hugo wants take a southern road trip.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 20, 2012, 06:05:24 PM
Exactly! We're keeping you guys warm by taking on those fearsome Arctic weather fronts...

Outstanding job this year. I suspect you'll get a medal.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: LongBlade on March 20, 2012, 06:57:03 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on March 20, 2012, 06:05:24 PM

Outstanding job this year. I suspect you'll get a medal.

No doubt. I'm wearing shorts in March. Weird!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Windigo

Quote from: son_of_montfort on March 20, 2012, 09:50:24 AM
The middle panel seems most important, IMHO. It isn't so much how much money is spent, but what proportion to the GDP. In comparison, we are on par with wealthy nations in at risk areas. I also think that it is interesting that the US makes up the majority of defense spending of North America and Canada only takes up 2%. Canadians, time to pull your weight!  ;)

What would be more interesting is to see numbers of personnel compared. I get the sense we have more money per soldier spent but that we have far fewer soldiers than China. Of course, no way would we be able to get accurate numbers on this, but it would be cool to know.

Well if we factor per capita equivalences we still would be spending half as much .....

kinda sucks, but we know we can get away with it and have universal healthcare until the US gets pissed at us enough to say "Screw It lets invade".....

oh in response to JH,

USA - Canada's PMSing, bitchy, emotionaly needy, butchy gal-pal   

tee-hee
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Martok

Quote from: LongBlade on March 20, 2012, 05:48:35 PM

All joking aside, the unrest in Colombia is hardly encouraging if you're a neighbor. And the real estate they have to cover is respectable.
Also, I would keep a wary eye on Venezuela as long as Nero Chavez is in power. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Mr. Bigglesworth

The "middle panel" is not important. It would matter if defence should be looked at in terms of how much is it putting us in the hole? That is the wrong perspective IMO. You either need a level of capability to ward off an attacker or not. Is the size of the budget warranted for fighting Russia for example? No, they have less than 1/10th the budget. Unless you want a chance fighting the whole world at once, with no help from allies, it seems a bizarre waste of domestic capital. The money doesn't even go to troops its mostly to big corporations for fancy toys.

At least Canada is looking at drones while reconsidering the F35. We also have a navy of exploding seals which are very dangerous. Especially the big walrus ones - tooth shrapnel.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598