Breaking: *Massive* CC Security Breach

Started by LongBlade, March 30, 2012, 09:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Just saw this headline: Mastercard and Visa are reporting a "Massive" security breach affecting an estimated 10 million cards.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/30/visa-mastercard-warn-massive-security-breach-report-says/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Oh feck no!  I just used the MasterCard to book my flight to Vegas!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Bison

This is unfortunately should not shock anyone.  The lovers of the freedom fighting internet hackers will rejoice I'm sure.  Sad really.

Barthheart

Quote from: Centurion40 on March 30, 2012, 09:35:02 AM
Oh feck no!  I just used the MasterCard to book my flight to Vegas!

Seems to be US bank versions only so far....

Centurion40

Bison

I wouldn't be so sure.  Mastercard, Visa are international and I wouldn't be convience by anything they were saying right now.

Centurion40

My next MasterCard statement will tell the tale.  I'm flying United, so we'll see.  :-\

Bison

Well if they sole 10's of thousands of cards it could be awhile before anything showed up, if ever.  This kind of crap is scary and inconvient.  The world has become so reliant on electronic cash transfers ATM/Credit Cards that you cannot really get by anymore without out one.  So how do you play it safe I guess, but watch and wait.

Gusington

^Tru dat.

My cards are all Visa. I use them rarely however...I like to use cash still when I can. But even that is not safe. My credit union and USAA have great fraud departments and I have just checked my accounts (I check them daily) and no strange transactions yet.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

I keep very detailed records of all my card transactions. That's the best/most you can do short of not having any at all.
Both MC and VISA have been very proactive for me in catching anomolies.