Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on April 16, 2017, 09:02:20 AM
Jarhead I have invested in about 5 ships in SC. But I have not downloaded it for over at least 3 months because it is not optimised enough to be smooth enough NOT to annoy me yet. Has that changed for gunfights or spacefights?

All I can say is that the 2.6.1 - 2.6.3 incremental patches have largely focused on stability and optimization. However, the game has always run very smoothly on my system for the most part so it's hard for me to assess how these updates may improve your experience. Just give it a shot...what's to lose?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

In what ways is it going to surpass elite?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 16, 2017, 11:07:52 AM
In what ways is it going to surpass elite?

For starters, it's an FPS with seamless transition from foot to vehicle, vehicle to ship, ship to planet and station, etc. Fully featured EVA mechanics, multi crew and capital ships with full free roam aboard each vessel, etc. This dynamic alone makes the possibilities and range of contents and missions vastly superior to what can be accomplished with Elite.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Haven't played horizon - is the ship to landing craft movement not seem less - to be fair shop to station is pretty seemless

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 16, 2017, 12:51:29 PM
Haven't played horizon - is the ship to landing craft movement not seem less - to be fair shop to station is pretty seemless

Kind of. You enter a variation of supercruise...glide mode. When you exit you get the same "flash" and pause you do going from supercruise to regular flight. It's short enough that it's not immersion killing. I feel like I'm actually going from space to planet but I don't think it's as smooth as SC.

Elite did just release a new "commander" update which allows multi-crewing vessels
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

It just seems a bit deja vu - wasn't this time last year all about 2 been amazing and a genre buster and here we are again

Pete Dero

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15842-Letter-From-The-Chairman-The-Road-Ahead

Star Citizen 3.0 Alpha is just the first step though. We've decided to share our longer roadmap through the rest of the year, so you can have visibility on what parts of the Stanton System come online and when, along with the associated gameplay. Our plan is to have two more releases in the LIVE branch of Star Citizen this year after 3.0 that fill out the Stanton System beyond what we outlined last year.

Guess this also means it will not leave alpha this year.

Jarhead0331

You're missing my point, or I'm not being clear. In SC, you can get out of your vehicle. You can get out of your ship. You can explore on foot. You can team up with 6 other players on a space station. Walk onto a ship together. Crew it. Accept a contract. Fly to a planet together. Enter an APV loaded onto your ship. Drive it off onto the planet surface. Unload and attack the target on foot and/or on vehicle. Egress back to ship, etc. etc. There is nothing like this in Elite, where you are locked into your chair, be it the chair of your ship, or the chair of your SCV.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 16, 2017, 01:35:00 PM
It just seems a bit deja vu - wasn't this time last year all about 2 been amazing and a genre buster and here we are again

I don't see why this is an issue. SC has taken what Elite accomplished to the next level. That is what always happens. Successes are built upon. This sort of innovation and advancement should be applauded, no?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2017, 01:47:21 PM

You're missing my point, or I'm not being clear. In SC, you can get out of your vehicle. You can get out of your ship. You can explore on foot. You can team up with 6 other players on a space station. Walk onto a ship together. Crew it. Accept a contract. Fly to a planet together. Enter an APV loaded onto your ship. Drive it off onto the planet surface. Unload and attack the target on foot and/or on vehicle. Egress back to ship, etc. etc. There is nothing like this in Elite, where you are locked into your chair, be it the chair of your ship, or the chair of your SCV.

Ah ok I see now - I'm sure this is planned for elite but fair enough

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2017, 01:51:11 PM

I don't see why this is an issue. SC has taken what Elite accomplished to the next level. That is what always happens. Successes are built upon. This sort of innovation and advancement should be applauded, no?

Don't get me wrong, what's on paper is fantastic and whats promised in concept is too

I guess I'm being a bit 'show me the money' about it

The vids you posted were very cool right up until one of your ships appeared on its side and clattered around the hangar - on a release where so much was promised

trek

I just updated to 2.63 a few days ago and yes it downloaded the entire game again. There have been a few discussions and complaints on the SC forums in the past about this very issue and why as of yet the Devs haven't implemented a proper patch-updater. I frankly don't see why they can't accomplish this fact by now.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: trek on April 16, 2017, 02:17:58 PM
I just updated to 2.63 a few days ago and yes it downloaded the entire game again. There have been a few discussions and complaints on the SC forums in the past about this very issue and why as of yet the Devs haven't implemented a proper patch-updater. I frankly don't see why they can't accomplish this fact by now.

I think its a small quibble. Let them focus on developing the game. Although, I suppose for the handful of people on the planet who still have limited bandwidth, it could be an issue.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 16, 2017, 01:54:47 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2017, 01:51:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, what's on paper is fantastic and whats promised in concept is too

I guess I'm being a bit 'show me the money' about it

The vids you posted were very cool right up until one of your ships appeared on its side and clattered around the hangar - on a release where so much was promised

Oh come on! You can't knock it for that! It was a single glitch that was easily corrected and subsequently patched. There are just so many moving parts in this game. I encourage you to watch the video in the link I posted above. Its truly amazing how many hundreds of people are involved in the development of this universe and how it all comes together.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

I'll give it a go

I'll be honest I don't actually know what irks me about the project. It's not the game, it might be the dev and the money, it's not been a fan of elite - I will happily put my hand on heart and say there's just something about it that pisses me off however puerile that sounds - but I will watch the vid and hope to be encouraged