Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on April 16, 2017, 02:53:37 PM
Puerile!! You win.

My mum said it to me when I was 15 - still burns

Gusington

Solid woman, your mom.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

You'd see eye to eye with her......

She's 4ft 10

Gusington

Too tall for my taste.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2017, 10:24:57 AM
Quote from: Destraex on April 16, 2017, 09:02:20 AM
Jarhead I have invested in about 5 ships in SC. But I have not downloaded it for over at least 3 months because it is not optimised enough to be smooth enough NOT to annoy me yet. Has that changed for gunfights or spacefights?

All I can say is that the 2.6.1 - 2.6.3 incremental patches have largely focused on stability and optimization. However, the game has always run very smoothly on my system for the most part so it's hard for me to assess how these updates may improve your experience. Just give it a shot...what's to lose?

Where I am I have limited bandwidth and actually almost hit it each month. Well if I downloaded this I would risk coming close to my quota for the month. Might wait until the month is close to ticking over and download it then. I guess the other thing stopping me is that I have never been a fan of doing things for the sake of mucking around... I need structure and focus. I don't think their is much of that at this stage either. Don't get me wrong though, I am cautiously looking forward to the game still and also looking forward to looking all the nay sayers who cry vapour ware in the eye when it comes out.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on April 16, 2017, 08:18:38 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2017, 10:24:57 AM
Quote from: Destraex on April 16, 2017, 09:02:20 AM
Jarhead I have invested in about 5 ships in SC. But I have not downloaded it for over at least 3 months because it is not optimised enough to be smooth enough NOT to annoy me yet. Has that changed for gunfights or spacefights?

All I can say is that the 2.6.1 - 2.6.3 incremental patches have largely focused on stability and optimization. However, the game has always run very smoothly on my system for the most part so it's hard for me to assess how these updates may improve your experience. Just give it a shot...what's to lose?

Where I am I have limited bandwidth and actually almost hit it each month. Well if I downloaded this I would risk coming close to my quota for the month. Might wait until the month is close to ticking over and download it then. I guess the other thing stopping me is that I have never been a fan of doing things for the sake of mucking around... I need structure and focus. I don't think their is much of that at this stage either. Don't get me wrong though, I am cautiously looking forward to the game still and also looking forward to looking all the nay sayers who cry vapour ware in the eye when it comes out.

Under those circumstances, I guess it makes sense for you to wait until 3.0 hits. They say June 30th right now...I'll be happy if it hits before the end of the summer. Either way, if you're not in a rush to see what's there now might as well hold off and save the bandwidth.

No way this game is vapor ware at this point. It's coming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

I don't know what optimisations they did. I have a huge loading time (5 minutes 30 seconds from a normal SATA II drive - nothing fancy) and occasionally (but quite often) I have screen halt. It's normally when looking about. I do not think it's graphics related and wondered whether it was connection. I did check my system out and all 8GB of system memory was being used so god knows what it was doing to my 3GB graphics card  >:D

As for the game state and it's content - I can't really comment. I haven't fired it up enough to know what I'm doing yet and I haven't played it nearly enough to comment on content. It's looking promising though.

I was constantly going to the options to view the key assignments (which can't be adjusted?) to find out how to do things.

I did manage to "jump" to a point to fix an array or something which I think gives you in game money (there's a numeric value next to their ID anyway). When I got there I got into combat with something which presumably took the array down. I didn't win and in fact during the heat of battle accidentally looked the wrong way (to the right which brings up the Enter Ship (or Exit...can't remember)) and pressed the wrong key (F) which ejected me into space (no confirmation!) with my ship flying off into the distance. I imagine that's a difficult thing to do and not all that common - but a fail safe would be welcome to prevent it happening.

JH - is it possible to get to a planet surface yet?
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 17, 2017, 11:30:33 AM

No. It will be in 3.0. That is one of the biggest upcoming features.

FYI...you can change key bindings.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 17, 2017, 12:04:30 PM

Can you? Cool. Thanks  :notworthy:

I'll look into that. When I selected the key map (Foot for example) it just brought up a picture of the keyboard that magnified when I moused over it.

Best I get in there and start mapping so I'm not fumbling around.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Yes - Advanced Control Customization  O0
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

With the feature cuts from 3.0 you will have a few moons to land on, not planets.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on April 17, 2017, 02:52:08 PM

With the feature cuts from 3.0 you will have a few moons to land on, not planets.

You say that like its a bad thing.

Yes, the initial 3.0 release will include the eagerly awaited "planetary update" but it will at first only feature three moons. Yela, Cellin and Daymar. They all seem to have varied terrain and atmosphere though so I think it will still be very interesting to explore.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

No man, its just a sentence for clarity. 'Planetary Update' might give people the wrong impression.

A moon is not a planet, is all. Don't be defensive.  ;D

And yes, I agree, even if 'only' three moons, they are bound to be interesting content.

But perhaps this is one reason why the game and its dev process/marketing pisses UG off that much; a term like 'Planetary Update' can suggest a lot different than what it actually 'means' internally, if you get my meaning.
In other words; calling it the 'planetary update' internally probably makes a lot of sense because a lot of backend stuff will be implemented into the game's core to facilitate the planetary content. But calling it the 'planetary update' to your playerbase, or technically backer base, might suggest something different to a lot of people, especially when in reality when the 'planetary update' hits, you will have no planets to visit, just moons and 'only' three of them.
See, someone who is on top of the game following it day after day will know what to expect, but those who check once in a while might not.
Lots of little situations like this have arisen over the course of development for the game. Perhaps this is what irks people?

I haven't bought into SC, so I look at it from an outsider's perspective. I applaud the ambition and if they pull it off it will indeed be a fantastisch technical marvel of a game, but their communication skills and handling of terms did make me sceptical as well. So no, I am not a big fan of the company's way of communicating.

Still, I am looking forward to it, no doubt and I seriously hope all backers have a fantastic time prior to release.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."