Main Menu

FRIDAY Belle

Started by Pete Dero, May 05, 2023, 04:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Those old Age of Rifles HPS games are in desperate need of a GUI makeover like they've been doing with the more recent titles.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Tanaka

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 06, 2023, 09:38:49 AM^ As a native Texan, I was just appreciating the irony.

I actually keep my HPS Mexican-American War title on my hard drive, even though I hardly ever play it vs the WDS titles.

I hope that one day WDS gives the Early American Wars series the graphical and UI facelifts that they've done for the Napoleonics.

The new SCACW DLC has a nice Mexican-American war scenario among others including the Spanish-Amercian war...

Gusington

D, as a native Texan, you and JH are brothers.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Tanaka on May 06, 2023, 06:39:06 PMThe new SCACW DLC has a nice Mexican-American war scenario among others including the Spanish-Amercian war...

Yeah, I looked into it when it came out.  However, I really don't like the SC system in the Age of Rifles era setting.

I'm also much more interested in the tactical side of those conflicts than the strategic. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

WARNO - this usually gets a few games because a friend really enjoys it. My problem is that I am into the COH3 daily games to finish challenges ala world of warships style
Company of Heroes 3 - still been enjoying this greatly despite all the usual vitriol on the steam forums from people trying to promote men of war 2.
DCS - Got the Jug and Normandy2. But now friends want to play early cold war. It seems like I keep chopping and changing aircraft but never truly learning them.
Hell Let Loose - Got this cheap and friends love it. It's hard and you die a lot. Stressful but not as much a walking simulator as post scriptum was. Hell Let Loose still has a huge population unlike poor old post scriptum as well. The British are coming as a side in a few days. The game is probably so hard because people know the maps so well and have been playing since 2021 release. Some new maps that will be coming with the British will be most welcome.
Age of Empires IV - There is talk of replacing some units in some sides but I just wish their was more varity in each side. However you don't often get that in a rock paper scissors strategy game like this.
Aliens Fire Team - a few mates and I have been having a little fun with this. Not sure I am in an aliens kinda mood this weekend though. This is probably the only recent aliens game that is both playable and gives the correct feeling of a mixture of fun and fear played at the right difficulty level.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

FarAway Sooner

For me it's all about Symphony of War:  The Nephilim Saga.  It's a title that's really restored my faith in indie game developers.

CJReich46

Ultima IV - partial Avatarhood. Level 8. All 8 companions, and starting to equip for the dungeons, and I have the mystic swords and robes so it's the hard part now.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Fetrik

X4: Foundation. Flying around shooting and scavenging. I have bought my 3 first mining ships, so i have some passive income.