Plank on Bulkhead Ship Models

Started by Smuckatelli, January 28, 2021, 11:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smuckatelli

I built this model around 24 years ago, plank on bulkhead. My oldest ordered a 48" version of the USS Constitution, still waiting for it....it has been on back order for a while now.

Smuckatelli

I was a good boy all year so for Christmas I was given a model of the 1780 American Privateer Rattlesnake. Not sure if there is interest in my build but here it is.

First step was building a jig to hold the hull as I worked on it.

Jarhead0331

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Gunny you built the above from scratch? If so that's amazing.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Smuckatelli

Quote from: Gusington on January 29, 2021, 10:35:29 AM
Gunny you built the above from scratch? If so that's amazing.

Gus, it is a kit, bunch off wood planks......

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Smuckatelli

So.....I laid the false keel and connected the stem, stern, and keel to it and then beveled the bearding line. Next step was shaping the individual bulkheads so that the lay flat on the bulkheads as they bend.

Smuckatelli

Life was good.... I used the jig to make sure that the bulkheads were at a 90 degree angle from the keel...

This was turning out to be a piece of cake. A lot quicker than the one that I built on the squad bay deck at Bridgeport back in 96.

Next day...after the bulkheads were dry, I held up my creation to check the lines, and then it hit me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfJ6Uvn41eg 

GDS_Starfury

Abba?     O0

Ive been following this on fb, Smucks about to get scurvy.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Smuckatelli

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 30, 2021, 01:24:34 AM
Abba?     O0

Ive been following this on fb, Smucks about to get scurvy.

There is no scurvy in the shipyard of Smuckatelli ltd.  :crazy2:

Smuckatelli

So the next step was carving out the stern and bow fillers. This will give the planks something be glued to for the sharp bending of the planks,

Smuckatelli

After that I worked on the Transom.

Smuckatelli

Building the Forecastle rails and drilling holes for the belay pins....without cracking the wood was......fun....I think.  :idiot2:

Smuckatelli

So regarding the 2 dimensional problem. While the jig held the bulkheads 90 degrees vertically.....it didn't horizontally. For my next ship I will draw gridlines on the jig so that I can properly line the vertical and horizontal lines.

Most of the screw up from not aligning the bulkheads horizontally would be covered with the planks. What needed to be fixed was the tops of the bulkheads that formed the rails for the weather decks. They were not lined up. I figured soaking the tops of the bulkheads for 30 minutes would make the basswood pliable enough to line them up.

That worked, I now had the rails lined up fore and aft. The problem was that the basswood in some places warped and was bent out of shape. Not a huge deal but it would require a lot of shims & sanding to prep for the planks. I also needed to determine a base from which to measure the gun and oar ports because soaked basswood did not dry at a 90 degree angle....an example, bulkhead D had the portside about .5 cm ofset from the starboard side.

It's all about relearning a hobby that I haven't done in a couple of decades so overall, I'm happy with the mistakes and learning how to correct the mistakes.