Combat Air Patrol 2

Started by JudgeDredd, August 11, 2015, 01:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

The thing that appeals to me about this game is that you are part of a Marine Expeditionary Unit operating from and LHD responding to a crisis.  The Harrier is the jet that rides with the MEUs, so regardless of whether there is a better jet out there, its not a jet that is stationed aboard an LHD, like the harrier.   
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

No worries - I didn't take it personally. Discussions on pros and cons of military hardware go hand in hand with being interested in wargaming I imagine  ;)
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 10, 2016, 09:14:11 AM
The thing that appeals to me about this game is that you are part of a Marine Expeditionary Unit operating from and LHD responding to a crisis.  The Harrier is the jet that rides with the MEUs, so regardless of whether there is a better jet out there, its not a jet that is stationed aboard an LHD, like the harrier.
Yep - I think that's how it fits the game.

There are plenty of military platforms out there that are superior - but in terms of this game and it's location and expected role and enemy OOB, I think it fits just fine.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Friday, 10 June 2016
v802
Version 802 should be available now, updates include:

Control axis null zones
    Control axis non linear setting
    Digital nozzle angle control settings
    Xbox gamepad default settings include view controls, unmap analogue throttle and nozzles
    nVidia Optimus graphics fix
    HUD velocity vector fixed
    Low speed handling improvement
    Menu option sub titles

Next updates will begin tackling gameplay and campaign issues/bug fixes/missing texture issues. Depending on progress, 803 may arrive Saturday. As noted previously, expect frequent updates to the main build till we're happy with stability. At that point we'll switch to a beta option which anyone can opt into with the usual caveats regarding bugs.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Thanks for the heads up JH

So I dived back in and there have been changes - some noticeable for the good and some for the bad.

It seems this time around I'll need to tweak my controller. Where previously it felt like flying a goat in a shopping trolley, this time some slight input results in wild movement
Head tracking is still very sensitive (I need to change my TrackIR setting), but they have fixed boundries - so you're not doing "an exorcist"
Graphics are much lighter and therefore not depressing - certainly makes it feel more playable
Harrier does look nice from the outside
Managed several take offs (I knew how to last time I tried) and a successful runway landing, vertical take off and vertical landing. I say successful - it landing. I don't think any crash mechanics are in place at the moment in terms of landing
Nice little welcome bounce when landing vertically which one would expect

Sound wise - it's still very bland. I've got music off and the radio calls just seem so quiet - even at 100%. Same with aircraft sound - nothing at all to write home about. It's not my speakers. I could turn them up, but on the setting they are at, I can hear perfectly well with DCS

The Tutorials need to be implemented. They've disappeared from my first couple of outings first time around and I haven't seem them since

Is Radio working? I assigned a key and that key was immediately assigned to all other radio commands too. Also, pressing it didn't activate in the game. I don't know if I need to turn something else on.

I didn't have any crashes and all control settings stayed as assigned.

Overall, there are improvements - but in all honesty, it's still way behind where I had hoped. However, now I had scaled my initial hopes back - I know where I am and where it is and it's still got a ways to go.

But I've paid and I'm in now - no refunds...it's all the way
Alba gu' brath

cap2

Hey guys - thanks for all the feedback (good and bad) - we've noted your comments on the dynamic campaign.  We are 6 updates in now with many issues already resolved, v807 is due shortly and should have mission planner updates, mission updates together with initial VR support - cockpit model updates are due around the end of the month too.  Check out the dev blog or steam community for more details - http://devblog.sim155.com/  :)

Jarhead0331

Wow. This game is apparently not dead and has been picked up by Microprose.

Still not sure if being picked up by Microprose is a good thing or not.

Either way, I had already written this one off as I don't think the developer has ever successfully completed a game, so any updates are icing on the cake. They also seem to have broadened the scope with a lot more controllable vehicles.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

CaptainKoloth

So they're basically claiming they'll do what the original developer claimed he'd do almost a decade ago... I'll believe it when I see it. I hope they do succeed.

JudgeDredd

I like Tiny Little Battles and Regiments and I've got their B17 game in my wishlist.

They seem to be promising alot and I'm not overly enamoured with their list of flying options, but I think MicroProse are on the up.
Alba gu' brath

Rekim

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 21, 2024, 01:09:25 AMI like Tiny Little Battles and Regiments and I've got their B17 game in my wishlist.

They seem to be promising alot and I'm not overly enamoured with their list of flying options, but I think MicroProse are on the up.

Second Front is fantastic if you enjoy ASL. Carrier Command 2 has also matured into an excellent game.

JudgeDredd

Oh yes - Carrier Command is excellent - and not just for nostalgic reasons, but also that.
Alba gu' brath