Main Menu

Civilization VII

Started by steve58, June 07, 2024, 11:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: bruce205 on June 17, 2024, 06:51:07 PMAlpha Centauri from 1999 blows ALL the Civ games out of the water ! Who agrees ? Or tell me why I'm wrong. Love Civ 4 but Alpha Centauri is the best !

I am Spartacus! (I.e. I'm with you on this)

bobarossa

I couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2024, 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

The game usefully divides them into four categories (Explore, Conquer, Build, Discover) with numbering so you can get a sense of where they are in the progression. They actually talk about how this exact issue was a challenge and how they thought about it in the designer's notes in the manual.

solops

Quote from: bobarossa on June 18, 2024, 05:20:06 PMI couldn't get into Alpha Centauri because the Tech Tree was so obscure.  Almost nothing made sense from the tech names.

+1
and ugly maps
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Anguille

Quote from: solops on June 19, 2024, 07:39:07 AM

+1
and ugly maps
Yeah, the game is not pretty but had excellent gameplay.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  I felt a sense of accomplishment in Civ if I did something like build the pyramids.  Alpha Centauri just didn't offer that.  "You've discovered nerve stapling!".  Ok, cool, I guess...

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: solops on June 19, 2024, 07:39:07 AM

+1
and ugly maps

Heathens

FarAway Sooner

SMAC had the best faction design, the most immersive writing, and the greatest variety of ways to win the game of any 4x title I think I've ever seen.  Your unique faction strengths, your culture/government challenges, and the variability of starting-game conditions made each victory seem unique.  While some bemoaned the lack of customization options, I rather enjoyed the fact that each faction had acute strengths and weaknesses and you always had to balance around them.

By modern standards, I'm not sure it'd measure up, but at the time, I found the story telling and the replayability first-rate.  Few 4x games since then have so seamlessly integrated so many different new features or gameplay conventions in a single title.

That said, most of those new features and gameplay conventions have been used and reused by dozens of titles since then, so nothing about the game would feel groundbreaking or even intriguing today.