Universal Conquest

Started by Jarhead0331, June 18, 2024, 07:36:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Woah! This one totally came out of nowhere. Had never heard of it despite the fact that it seems to have been in development for over 10 years! There isn't a lot of information out there about it and hardly any publicity or press. It looks like total dog shit in the screen shots and in the videos on the steam page, but the developer blog posts really captured my attention...beside the fact that the single guy making this game sounds like he is absolutely a lunatic who has gone insane while making this game, there are some really deep and epic concepts that appear to be incorporated and I can really appreciate what the developer is trying to accomplish...massive procedurally generated maps including astronomically accurate planets, moons and space objects all contained within solar systems within galaxies within a universe populated by other galaxies and wait for it...alternate universes too. All of this space and time is filled with life forms, and not just your standard avian, ape, insectoid, robotic types either. Some really diverse and eclectic stuff out there. Hundreds of technologies to be researched, hundreds of different kinds of units to be built, including space vessels, sea, land and air units. Move your units through time and space. Deploy them on planets for colonization and conquest. Spread your religion and way of life. Take slaves, etc. My first battle in the tutorial was against a race of fanatical Nazis lead by a brilliant military tactician. There is also diplomacy, planetary construction and development and all sorts of anomalies to discover and explore. The strategic layer of the game is turn based, but when two armies or fleets meet, it changes into an RTS.

I can't say whether the game will prove to be good at the end of the day, but the tutorial held my interest from start to finish and I'm really looking forward to trying this in more depth.

I just love games that capture the vastness of space whereby the passage of time and travel amongst the stars is a strategy that needs to be considered itself. This game seems to have that.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2363060/Universal_Conquest/
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

CaptainKoloth

Really interesting find! I'm exactly 50/50 on the fence between "this dev seems like an absolute lunatic" and "that doesn't mean it hasn't all been channeled into the game design in a productive way". Will be fascinated to see how/if this pans out.

Edit: was reading the Steam reviews. This one makes it sound a bit like Dwarf Fortress. Not sure if that's good or bad 😁. Quote follows:

"Pros (so far): - In my first 26 hours of play, there were tons of bugs, but overall I was able to conquer about 1/3rd of my home galaxy and had no leaders defect
- I had a cannibal society who lived off the slaves they captured try to attack me, only to have their own units admit defeat because they had eaten/killed everyone else on their home world before getting to attack me
- I had a vassal society that worked for another race decide to join me, which caused their ENTIRE vassalized society across the map to upend and caused a coup that ended up with me randomly winning a bunch of battles somewhere else in the galaxy and being made their supreme commander
- I was attacked by a fleet of Giant space abominations that spoke perfectly broken English and agreed to a ceasefire if I traded them some wealth
- I found and commandeered a lost space fleet, repaired it, and was beset by parasites for the rest of my run because APPARENTLY, that can happen. Some space fleets are abandoned for a reason, some are traps, some send radio beacons back to an unknown world, etc, there are so many dynamic and funny systems in place
- Building units on my homeworld to stop revolts and being able to see how far/wide those units can move in realtime with tracers is a nice touch, also knowing which tileset is dangerous is a really good update the game had too. It makes battles more strategic and you can do some cool things with it
-The AI has massively improved over time, from only spinning in circles on retreating, to now being able to coordinate, gather, send intel back and forth, and trade with itself in realtime. It makes the world feel alive when other races approach the player base or attack an ambush position you set, knowing you were there ahead of time because they scouted you out etc."

AchillesLastStand

The voice in the intro video somehow reminded me of narration of the Necromancer off of the Rush Caress of Steel Album. Anyhoos the game looks interesting, may watch some videos and wait for a sale.

ArizonaTank

OK, you convinced me...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sigwolf

The first sentence in the 'About' section pretty clearly indicates he may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic...

"Based on personal interviews with alien abductees and UFO Lore and developed as outsider art by a one-man team for over the past decade..."

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 18, 2024, 07:36:27 PM...beside the fact that the single guy making this game sounds like he is absolutely a lunatic who has gone insane while making this game, ...

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2363060/Universal_Conquest/

I have to support someone who is willing to go insane doing something they love.  [as an aside, this probably explains my collection of 70's and 80's rock music]  Purchased.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Sigwolf on June 19, 2024, 09:34:13 AMThe first sentence in the 'About' section pretty clearly indicates he may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic...

"Based on personal interviews with alien abductees and UFO Lore and developed as outsider art by a one-man team for over the past decade..."

Yeah...and I can't tell if he is trying to be funny, or if he is being serious because comments like this are pretty common throughout his blogs.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Here are some screenshots of the civilization generation screen. Most categories are pretty basic and what one would expect (although there are some unique outliers), but the diversity within some of those options is really cool permitting you to come up with some really wild traits and characteristics.

For instance, religion seems to be a major concept in this game which can drastically effect the strengths and weaknesses of your civilization and shape how it will interact with others. Religion can span the entire range from non-existent to benevolent to downright psychotic and satanic. I mean seriously, you can create a civilization of Nazi cannibal devil worshipers...if you wanted to.  The economy can also range from Laissez-Faire, to corporatism,  to communism to fascism and everything in between. You can even control how your civilization feels about sex and breeding! I also like how you can not only choose the kind of planet your species is native to, but also the kind of atmosphere that it prefers. Still, have no idea how any of this will play out in game, but the creation options are intriguing. This is seriously along the lines of the grand intergalactic 4x game I've always envisioned designing myself.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

Quote from: Sigwolf on June 19, 2024, 09:34:13 AMThe first sentence in the 'About' section pretty clearly indicates he may be a few sandwiches short of a picnic...

There's something quite endearing about describing something you, yourself, are creating as "outsider art."  A few sandwiches short a picnic, but self awarely so?   :shocked:

Looks fascinating to me, I'm not really a 4X guys these days beyond Dominions, but if I was I'd give it a shot.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2024, 01:04:45 PMFor instance, religion seems to be a major concept in this game which can drastically effect the strengths and weaknesses of your civilization and shape how it will interact with others. Religion can span the entire range from non-existent to benevolent to downright psychotic and satanic. I mean seriously, you can create a civilization of Nazi cannibal devil worshipers...if you wanted to.  The economy can also range from Laissez-Faire, to corporatism,  to communism to fascism and everything in between. You can even control how your civilization feels about sex and breeding! I also like how you can not only choose the kind of planet your species is native to, but also the kind of atmosphere that it prefers. Still, have no idea how any of this will play out in game, but the creation options are intriguing. This is seriously along the lines of the grand intergalactic 4x game I've always envisioned designing myself.

My hopes are slowly creeping up... what's the tech tree like? Tried any combat yet?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on June 19, 2024, 04:21:20 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 19, 2024, 01:04:45 PMFor instance, religion seems to be a major concept in this game which can drastically effect the strengths and weaknesses of your civilization and shape how it will interact with others. Religion can span the entire range from non-existent to benevolent to downright psychotic and satanic. I mean seriously, you can create a civilization of Nazi cannibal devil worshipers...if you wanted to.  The economy can also range from Laissez-Faire, to corporatism,  to communism to fascism and everything in between. You can even control how your civilization feels about sex and breeding! I also like how you can not only choose the kind of planet your species is native to, but also the kind of atmosphere that it prefers. Still, have no idea how any of this will play out in game, but the creation options are intriguing. This is seriously along the lines of the grand intergalactic 4x game I've always envisioned designing myself.

My hopes are slowly creeping up... what's the tech tree like? Tried any combat yet?

You don't seem to have access to the entire tech tree at first. There are only a handful of techs that you can research in the early game I've started. However, I presume this can be adjusted at game generation since you can set your civilization's starting tech level.

Combat has been a mixed bag. I've only done it in the context of the tutorial, which had a space battle and a land battle. There was not a tremendous amount of maneuvering on the part of the AI which in both instances sort of hung out and only fired when I moved into range...this was in both space and ground battles, but it is possible that these were scripted for the tutorial, particularly since I won both battles despite the fact that the enemy possessed technology superior to my own.

I'm thinking most of the battles I will eventually auto-resolve.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Dammit - just as civ 6 gets its claws in me

Im on holiday next week and will give it a go - this looks like a get in on the ground floor opportunity and became one of the grizzled veterans who remembers the old days over on the aurora forums

Anguille

Fascinating! Will keep an eye on that one.

WYBaugh

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on June 19, 2024, 12:30:35 AMThe voice in the intro video somehow reminded me of narration of the Necromancer off of the Rush Caress of Steel Album. Anyhoos the game looks interesting, may watch some videos and wait for a sale.

You are spot on.

"Journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the Universal Conquest"

CaptainKoloth

Is there any level of tactical control or insight into the combat, or is it just "bandbox 1000 generic units and toss them at 1000 other generic units, and some of them will eventually disappear"?