Am I being unreasonable ?

Started by devoncop, June 19, 2024, 01:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devoncop

Hi guys

On the verge of a ragequit of Field of Glory Kingdoms and wonder if you think I need to chill out and go with the flow or agree I have been well and truly stitched by RNG.

Many years of development, diplomatic shenanigans and some military success has seen Connaught now besieging Leinster to get control of all of South and central Ireland. I have a one province ally which holds the northern Leinster area as it's home area.

Suddenly I get hit with a coup.

A better leader, though with no legitimacy as from outside the royal family that was deposed takes over from the spendthrift buffoon King but in the ensuing chaos my "Ally" is peacefully given control of all but two of Connaught s regions as the populace rebels  :HideEyes:  :HideEyes:  :hair:

Would you take it on the chin bearing in mind I do at least have a Royal Marriage with my ally or boot the run into touch ?
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

I haven't played FoG: Kingdoms yet but I definitely get what you mean about getting burned out or frustrated with a game.  Back when I played a ton of John Tiller games I remember having dreams about scenarios that were pissing me off.   :Nerd:

There's something to be said about playing a doomed game to completion, mainly that it helps you learn how the late game plays out so you're not just getting early-to-middle game experience. But if you're not having fun with it anymore I'd say just start a new one.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on June 19, 2024, 01:58:10 AMI haven't played FoG: Kingdoms yet but I definitely get what you mean about getting burned out or frustrated with a game.  Back when I played a ton of John Tiller games I remember having dreams about scenarios that were pissing me off.   :Nerd:

There's something to be said about playing a doomed game to completion, mainly that it helps you learn how the late game plays out so you're not just getting early-to-middle game experience. But if you're not having fun with it anymore I'd say just start a new one.

Yes Al

That approach is why I didn't as yet delete the file :-)

To be fair I may just play 5 or 10 turns a day rather than extended sessions and see if I get very lucky via the Royal marriage or some other event.
Ironically enough this morning after I posted my "ally" who had taken 3 regions from me during the coup under the pretext of "restoring order" stormed Leinster which my forces were besieging and promptly handed Leinster region over to me as a "symbol of our friendship" in the ultimate act of trolling me  :evil:

I do actually love the game but boy what a smack in the chops that coup was !

I know what you mean about being burnt out...I was playing about 12 PBEM's in Tiller games recently including really big campaigns and I am totally burnt out and have uninstalled the lot now the games have finished :-)

Gusington

I always play to the end because of my gaming 'ocd' - which youngins would call being a completionist.

I am playing 1177AD (Rome TW mod) right now as the Ayyubids (Saladin) and am 1-2 provinces away from total destruction. I am also 1-2 provinces away from turning things around as my economy is kicking in to gear and I now (finally) field a 20 unit army...and my neighbors like the Crusader Kingdoms are starting to languish in the desert sun.

The 1177AD is also epic and beautiful and one of the best I have ever played...as good or better than any professionally developed game. Tons of fun.

And if you are not drinking while playing, start. If you are drinking while playing, stop.

Good luck!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Gus.

Excellent advice from the guru that is Gus....I really wish I could handle the Real Time nature of TW2 Rome as it always sounds so good when you describe your games !

As for the single malt and it's combining with the gaming....that is what is called non negotiable 😁

Gusington

Another option is, after playing to the end of course, starting a new game on the totally opposite side of the map from what you just finished  :justice:

I typically drink a beer when gaming. Scotch would have my keyboard imprinted on my face fast.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2024, 04:01:45 PMAnother option is, after playing to the end of course, starting a new game on the totally opposite side of the map from what you just finished  :justice:

I typically drink a beer when gaming. Scotch would have my keyboard imprinted on my face fast.
I used to drink beer while playing War Thunder.  Until I shorted out my keyboard after dumping the beer in it.  Now I only buy waterproof keyboards.  The other option is unthinkable :laugh:

undercovergeek

TBS and very slow RTS - that's the key sip and think and then doze off as your evil doings unfold

Irish single malt and the asshole Japanese in Civ6 make a perfect combination - I will unpick your empire and throw you into the sea, after I've finished this glass

Lotti Fuehrscheim

Pocus, the single developer of this game - although he hired some artists - warned that playing a small country was very hard and could lead to a harsh loss.

The game is turn based and the 'building blocks' are large, with large random efects, so a small nation without buffers can be gone quickly.

On the other hand, he has also made the giant in the game, the Eastern Roman Empire, very hard to play because it starts as a very instable mess. Only if you can tame that beast internally, which may take half of the game, you will steamroll to a victory.

In the new patch, which is now open beta, the Easy difficulty has been much relaxed, to give you some leeway while learning all the complex mechanics that can become fatal if you don't know what you have to do.

I think the game is beautiful and I want to love it, but I find it hard, because it is not alway intuitive what you have to do in order to achieve a certain goal. Like, you win the game with Legacy points, but it may take more than half the game before you are in a position to seriously gather those points, so you must make long term plans for mechanisms that you don't have any experience with.

Tanaka

Quote from: devoncop on June 19, 2024, 01:20:10 AMHi guys

On the verge of a ragequit of Field of Glory Kingdoms and wonder if you think I need to chill out and go with the flow or agree I have been well and truly stitched by RNG.

Many years of development, diplomatic shenanigans and some military success has seen Connaught now besieging Leinster to get control of all of South and central Ireland. I have a one province ally which holds the northern Leinster area as it's home area.

Suddenly I get hit with a coup.

A better leader, though with no legitimacy as from outside the royal family that was deposed takes over from the spendthrift buffoon King but in the ensuing chaos my "Ally" is peacefully given control of all but two of Connaught s regions as the populace rebels  :HideEyes:  :HideEyes:  :hair:

Would you take it on the chin bearing in mind I do at least have a Royal Marriage with my ally or boot the run into touch ?

I share your frustration...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1985050/discussions/0/4344366047674317713/