FTL: Faster Than Light

Started by Jarhead0331, September 12, 2012, 04:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

^I did get a different result once when I dealt with the spiders.  My crew was successful...can't remember what I got for helping though...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Barthheart

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 20, 2012, 12:15:06 PM
Bought it from GOG yesterday.  I've unlocked my Engi ship but haven't made it past sector 5 yet.  Anyway, are the encounters always the same?  I've run across the giant spider encounter and the mad crash survior encounters 3-4 times each and the choice always ends up the same.  If I choose the interact option, the spiders eat one of my crew and the loony always puts a bomb on my ship.  Has anyone had a different result?

Yes I've been able to beat the spiders and not lose a crew memeber... but they get eaten more often than not. :P

tgb

I've played 14 or 15 games (also never making it past 5  :-X), and I've only run into the spider encounter once and never the loony encounter. 

Nefaro

Disable Fleet Pursuit Mod:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2593

For those who don't wanna be chased.  ;D

airboy

Quote from: Nefaro on September 26, 2012, 05:14:08 PM
Disable Fleet Pursuit Mod:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2593

For those who don't wanna be chased.  ;D

Do not use this link.  The software comes with a virus like series of add-ons.

Instead, use:
http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Mods
This is a tiny download.  Instructions are very simple.  It works.  You won't spend 15 minutes digging out all of the spyware, downloaders and other crap included in the other FTL mod.

Nefaro

Dunno haven't tried it yet.  *shrug*

The modding situation is too confusing for me right now since there is more than one release version right now.  For once I actually had to load the Steam version because it's the only one up-to-date.  ::)  I wouldn't be surprised if some of the mods were the other version I'm not using at the moment.

Nefaro

Has anyone tried the free Roguelike Prospector?

It could be pretty awesome although it's a work in progress, I believe, as most free roguelikes are.   Been around for a few years.  Has space/planet exploration along with some crew control stuff.  Looks like a more ambitious feature set as far as content & gameplay goes, anyhow. 

http://code.google.com/p/rlprospector/

Wiki with Quickstart Guide (and screenshot gallery):
http://prospector.wikia.com/wiki/Quickstart_Guide

Silent Disapproval Robot

YES!!!!

I finally beat the bloody game.  Must be close to 100 attempts but I finally cracked it.

I took the new ship that you get for beating the game and that just opened up a whole new world of fun!  I successfully completed a multi-sector quest and got a specialty ship on the first run through with the new ship. 

Sigma One

I'll never beat this game, I'm too busy accidentally opening all the airlocks on my own people.

Has anyone tried any of the mods for it? I've seen one where it removes the chasing enemy fleet, allowing for some more ridiculous time to build up your ship.

eyebiter

The FTL play -> die -> restart game model gets tiresome.

Nefaro

Quote from: eyebiter on October 02, 2012, 04:59:38 PM
The FTL play -> die -> restart game model gets tiresome.

I'm not as enticed to restart this one after dying once or twice, as I am some of the other roguelikes out there. 

I think there are a couple reasons for it.  One is the relative shortage of "character" customization.  The other also being a relative lack of variety in enemies, equipment, and such.  It's not terrible, but it does get pretty repetitive due to very little change in your equipment loadout which is the main customization facet.   Some of these issues are inherent with starship RPGs, though, because there are only so many enemy ship variants to be had before it all starts looking like you're fighting the same ship every time - just of a different size & slightly different loadout.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The hardest part is getting your first victory.  Once you do, you get access to a much better ship and it becomes easier to unlock further ships.  I'm now up to 5 different ships and two variants for two of those five.  It adds a lot more variety to the game.  (Man, that Stealth cruiser is brutally hard to play!)

airboy

Quote from: ScottP on October 01, 2012, 01:43:00 PM
I'll never beat this game, I'm too busy accidentally opening all the airlocks on my own people.

Has anyone tried any of the mods for it? I've seen one where it removes the chasing enemy fleet, allowing for some more ridiculous time to build up your ship.

I did the mod for eliminating the fleet.  It removes all of the play balance.  A better mod would allow you to set a different pursuit rate - but I have not seen one of those.

Steelgrave

I did this. I was finally having a successful run (well....mostly) when after a ferocious battle I had fires in the engine and 02 rooms. I moved my engineer to safety, opened the doors to deep space, and when the fire was out I sent my entire crew in to make speedy repairs.

Without closing the doors back.

Yeah, that didn't work out so well.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on October 03, 2012, 08:35:52 PM

I did the mod for eliminating the fleet.  It removes all of the play balance.  A better mod would allow you to set a different pursuit rate - but I have not seen one of those.

It's a simple text edit of a certain value in that mod, from what I read. 

Evidentally the 'disable fleet' mods just put in a massive value for how many turns they are delayed.  And I have seen at least one mod, there, that only relaxes the value.  Just dig through the place.  Too bad they don't have a separate Mods section of their forum.