FTL: Faster Than Light

Started by Jarhead0331, September 12, 2012, 04:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion

Got Xcom over the weekend.
Loaded it, started the demo, then the wife interrupted.

Later I remembered that I wanted to buy FTL.
Downloaded that.
Been playing it ever since.

I guess I could have saved 40 bucks on Xcom.

And as of now there is a MOD section on their forums.

Onion

Now I have to add, I've been playing PC games since the early 80's and this stupid little game kept me up half the night with the "one more turn" addictiveness that I haven't seen in close to 20 years.

It's not perfect but it's got something.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Onion on October 18, 2012, 02:45:00 PM
Now I have to add, I've been playing PC games since the early 80's and this stupid little game kept me up half the night with the "one more turn" addictiveness that I haven't seen in close to 20 years.

Haha!  I'm getting more and more tempted by this game.

LongBlade

Quote from: Onion on October 18, 2012, 02:45:00 PM

It's not perfect but it's got something.

Glad to hear it.

BTW, when you're ready for another "one-more-turn" game let us introduce you to Warlock. :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Onion

Still playing this game about an hour a day. I believe I'm almost to the point of winning on EASY. It helps that I realized I should backup the savegame so the perma-death is not so  uh permanent.
I actually left my office the other night and went in the stariwell thinking I needed to make sure the bulkhead doors were sealed. I have not been this into a game in a long time.

I know I sound like a fanboi or plant at this point, but I'm really into retro games (even set up a P90 machine two years ago to play DOS games on after getting sick of being burned on new games) and this game is my favorite new game in years.

edited typos

LongBlade

Quote from: Onion on October 25, 2012, 02:52:42 PM
I actually left my office the other night and went in the stariwell thinking I needed to mak sure the bulkhead doors were sealed. I have not benn this into a game in a long time.

LOL

That's funny :)

Nefaro

steve58

Great price.  One of these days I'm going to excercise some restraint when a new game comes out :P

p.s.  Developer has matched the price ($6)...and his comes with a Steam key.

http://www.ftlgame.com/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

LongBlade

steve58

GOG's price is back to $9.99, but the dev and now Steam have it for $5.99...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Sparhawk

This was a must buy game for me, I've been on a kick lately where my prefered games don't have a lot of graphic power but do have that "one more turn" power.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Onion

I played FTL exclusively for almost a month, it really has something that I've missed in PC games for a long time. Then I finally fired up Xcom. I do agree that Xcom is the spiritual successor to the original Xcom. Even though I was wary after being burned on a few Firaxis games. Xcom has kept me up until too late at night. It's nice after all these years to find TWO games that do that for a old school gamer. 

steve58

A free expansion is coming to FTL next year.

FTL: Advanced Edition, as it's known, will be free to those who already own the original, and it'll include the following:

Mind Control System: Temporarily turn enemies into allies. Force a boarder to repair the damage they just did, or have the enemy pilot sabotage their own helm.

Hacking System: Lockdown and disrupt enemy systems. Unique effects for each system, ranging from forcing a teleporter remove boarders to making the medbay damage instead of heal.

New Sector and Events

New Weapons and Effects: Many new weapons that take advantage of new mechanics: overcharging to increase the number of volleys, stun effects to freeze crew, and area effect targeting, to name a few.

And more systems, drones, augments, enemy ships, enemy layouts, and hostile environments.

There'll also be smaller tweaks, including combat saves, more store variety, and save crew positions.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/12/bye-life-ftl-getting-free-avellone-penned-expansion/#more-176090