Commander the Great War

Started by W.S. Hancock, April 09, 2014, 08:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.S. Hancock

Hey Guys, I am in a WWI mood, and about to head off on a two week vacation

I will have plenty of time to do gaming, and was thinking very seriously about this one.

Anyone have any experience with it?  Also, I have seen  a few comments regarding long turn processing time, but have not had much time to investigate.

I would be playing on the 13 inch screen of my new Yoga Pro2 Ultrabook (4 MB RAM, not the SSD but rather 500 GB HD) running Windows 8.1

Does anyone have any insight on how the game might display on that type of screen, or how turn processing times might be on that rig?

Based on the fact that I am going to take some heat from the wife for spending money on a computer game prior to going on vacation, I want to make sure that whatever I buy is going to be worth it, enjoyable, and perform well enough on that machine that I can use it.

Thanks for any input.

Zulu1966

Quote from: W.S. Hancock on April 09, 2014, 08:35:29 AM
Hey Guys, I am in a WWI mood, and about to head off on a two week vacation

I will have plenty of time to do gaming, and was thinking very seriously about this one.

Anyone have any experience with it?  Also, I have seen  a few comments regarding long turn processing time, but have not had much time to investigate.

I would be playing on the 13 inch screen of my new Yoga Pro2 Ultrabook (4 MB RAM, not the SSD but rather 500 GB HD) running Windows 8.1

Does anyone have any insight on how the game might display on that type of screen, or how turn processing times might be on that rig?

Based on the fact that I am going to take some heat from the wife for spending money on a computer game prior to going on vacation, I want to make sure that whatever I buy is going to be worth it, enjoyable, and perform well enough on that machine that I can use it.

Thanks for any input.

Personally I think it an excellent game. Has some nice depth and every turn has interesting decisions.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

Shelldrake

I agree with Zulu. AI is challenging and multiplayer is fun too.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Nefaro

Yep!  Good game.

I'd wonder about the screen resolution support on such a small one.  What resolution does it run at natively? 

It runs okay on my 15" laptop screen @ 1366X768, last I checked, but yours may use a smaller one.  Not sure how small it can go.

Gusington

I really enjoy it too, even PBEM. Not sure how it would look on a 13" monitor though...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

I recently purchased Commander the Great War and the only complaint I have about it is that the hotkey function to cycle through units (Page Up & Page Down) does not work. According to this post, it is a bug that is supposed to be fixed by the 1.5 patch.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bobarossa

Quote from: Nefaro on April 09, 2014, 11:42:53 AM
Yep!  Good game.

I'd wonder about the screen resolution support on such a small one.  What resolution does it run at natively? 

It runs okay on my 15" laptop screen @ 1366X768, last I checked, but yours may use a smaller one.  Not sure how small it can go.
There is a 1280x720 listed in the settings. 
I also enjoyed the game.  If you get it, I understand that you shouldn't bother with the railway cannon research. 

jomni

xwormwood