Fallen Entrantress: Legendary Heroes

Started by Bison, May 12, 2013, 03:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: SgtRock on May 14, 2013, 08:40:55 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on May 13, 2013, 06:37:06 PM
No matter what they do to try and improve the game, it still looks and plays like Elemental. Which is not a bad thing if that's what you want.

I had high hopes with the original but, the latest version seems to have borrowed a little too much from the Civ games and lost it's original flavor. They still can't get boats with island maps to fully work, removed most of the RPG elements like marriage, balance still seems strangely off at times, no randomness in the tech tree, plus random crashes.  It seems like nothing more than a some what more refined version of the same thing, how many versions of do we need? They tried to create Master of Magic and ended up with a Civ light game.

Let's be honest here.  It's not like this is Stardocks first 4X.  Remember a little game called Galactic Civilizations?  Of course it shares simularities with the CIV just as it shares simularities with GalCiv as do a hundred other 4X games.  I think there is much to the game that makes it a little more than a Civ light game. 

I haven't played on an island map yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues.  It seems every game that incooperates land/water units struggles to figure out how to make the water units work effectively.  I can think of at least 4 off the top of my head where this is the case. 

How many 4X games actually have a random tech tree?  I can think of one Sword of the Stars and the tree itself isn't random but which tech branches are seeded into your civilization at the start up of the game.  I really like the SotS system and wish more games incooperated such a model.

14 hours of game and I've yet to have the game crash.  Not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't experienced one yet.

Anyway.  I'm done fanboying it up today.  I'm sure as I play the game more I figure out aspects of it I don't like and want fixed.  In fact,  I can think of one thing right now.  I do not like the fact that borders do not stop pioneers from crossing your territory. 

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Bison on May 14, 2013, 12:50:08 PM
I think there is much to the game that makes it a little more than a Civ light game.

Agreed.  This is hardly Civ Light.  Warlock is Civ Light...Elemental is about as deep as Civ, it just plays fairly differently.  And Bison, dammit...I already had enough lined up to play this weekend.  Now I have to play this too!

Bison

You're welcome Huw.  Another patch update was released today. 

Bison

OK.  I have one gripe.  They need to look at the range of bows.  It's not that they are over powered but they can plink, plink, plink your units from any range at 1-6 pts a shot.  I'd rather see a little more power on the bows and some sort of range restriction between short and longbows and crossbows. 

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on May 14, 2013, 09:01:36 PM
OK.  I have one gripe.  They need to look at the range of bows.  It's not that they are over powered but they can plink, plink, plink your units from any range at 1-6 pts a shot.  I'd rather see a little more power on the bows and some sort of range restriction between short and longbows and crossbows.

IIRC some people were complaining about bows being overpowered.  Thoughts?

Bison

I don't think bows in and of themselves are overpowered.  That being said, if you or your enemies army has 2 or 3 of them sitting in the back firing at the same target (which the AI does without fail and usually it's your hero) by the time you've fought through the melee battles and get to the archers around 9 or 10 turns have passed.  So you figure 3 X 6 X 10 = 180 points of max damage which is quite devistating, but I'd say they do less than max most of the time.  However you can overcome/mitigate this with some fast moving units if the terrain permits, fly lightning elementals and certain spells.

Bison

NOTE:  I've been horrible at building diverse armys.  So far it hasn't come back to haunt me too much, but I really do need to incooperate more archers and fast movers into my hero stacks.  I'm also behind on army size, which is increased through military research tech.  I think the max size for an army stack is 9 slots.

Bison

Here's an image of the expanse of my kingdom.

I'd say I own about 60% of the map.  I'm the blue areas.  There are a few more resources scattered around that I could build outposts and develop, which I may do.  The greatest AI threat remaining is Altar which is the red areas on the mini map.  He's been marching around 9 large army stacks near my border.  I'm not sure how aggressive the AI will be at this point.  Frankly I think it could steam roll a number of my cities and out posts before I could do anything.  My heroes and armies are skattered all over the place.  I think I have 6 heroes at this point in the game.  Anyway I've entered the end game and now its a matter of casting the spell of I cannot remember the name to win, or full out conquest.  Diplomacy is not an option at this point.  Decisions, decisions.

Nefaro

What are your current Army Stack size limits?

Capn Darwin

There are two factors to army size. One is the number of units and heroes in an army and the other is the number of people in the unit. That one is a big force multiplier as long as you have the money to upgrade all your units.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Bison

Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 15, 2013, 06:52:55 AM
There are two factors to army size. One is the number of units and heroes in an army and the other is the number of people in the unit. That one is a big force multiplier as long as you have the money to upgrade all your units.

This is correct.  I think the max number of people is 9 including your hero if there is one present.  The units that you build start with 3 and then increase to 4,5,6 soldiers per unit.  This is all done through the tech tree research.  Heroes and units you recruit like the elementals start at a certain level again dependent on you leaders level, hero skill path, tech tree, building built on elemental sites.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Bison on May 14, 2013, 09:01:36 PM

This has been a problem since WoM.  There should be a decent chance to dodge, maybe.

Bison

Quote from: Huw the Poo on May 15, 2013, 12:52:57 PM

This has been a problem since WoM.  There should be a decent chance to dodge, maybe.

Yeah there are some effects you can get to help mitigate the long range plink, plink of archers.  Dodge and defense bonuses.  I've also found that some of the spells like Pull of the Earth, which knocks down units until they resist, help control these units too. 

son_of_montfort

The engine runs like a hog at points for me. Is that for everyone as well? So far, I like what I see and I have not yet had any of those CTDs that I had previously.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

tgb

I had to turn AA off as well as something else (particle effects, I think) to get any sort of decent framerate, but my current rig has integrated graphics, so there's that.