Tomb

Started by Nefaro, February 07, 2014, 01:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Has anyone else here played Tomb the board game from AEG?

http://www.tombthegame.com/

I'm always on the lookout for dungeon crawl board games with a lot of variety and this one didn't hit my radar until I noticed a suggested video playthrough on the 'Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg0w4KiL1p0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUVzXTFvjNauNUSaspMndj9A

Anyone play it?

EDIT:  After seeing some playthrough, it seems like someone took the old Dungeon and put it on steroids, cranked to eleven, and added more card mechanics/dice/characters/depth all around.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on February 07, 2014, 01:48:22 PM
Has anyone else here played Tomb the board game from AEG?

http://www.tombthegame.com/

I'm always on the lookout for dungeon crawl board games with a lot of variety and this one didn't hit my radar until I noticed a suggested video playthrough on the 'Tube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg0w4KiL1p0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUVzXTFvjNauNUSaspMndj9A

Anyone play it?

EDIT:  After seeing some playthrough, it seems like someone took the old Dungeon and put it on steroids, cranked to eleven, and added more card mechanics/dice/characters/depth all around.

I've never played, but it apparently could drag on for quite some time. Tomb : Cryptmaster was a standalone expansion sort of deal that supposedly offered rules tweaks and the like that cleaned things up.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 07, 2014, 06:53:11 PM

I've never played, but it apparently could drag on for quite some time. Tomb : Cryptmaster was a standalone expansion sort of deal that supposedly offered rules tweaks and the like that cleaned things up.

I got the impression that the standalone expansion also didn't have as much 'stuff' in it.  ???

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on February 08, 2014, 03:35:32 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 07, 2014, 06:53:11 PM

I got the impression that the standalone expansion also didn't have as much 'stuff' in it.  ???

You might be able to take the Cryptmaster rules tweaks and just carry them over to standard Tomb... all the stuff with a cut-down ruleset (and possible playtime)?

Nefaro

Maybe they have a downloadable rulebook for the Cryptmaster version I could use to do so. 

I already ordered a new copy of the original, although I probably could've saved a fair bit of money if I had contacted someone selling used ones. 

I'll probably play it more solitaire than anything, but I think it may work out okay as a family game.  The youngsters really enjoy Dungeonquest and Dungeon (I don't enjoy the latter so much) so this should be a crowd pleaser with them.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Nefaro on February 08, 2014, 10:07:47 PM
Maybe they have a downloadable rulebook for the Cryptmaster version I could use to do so. 

I already ordered a new copy of the original, although I probably could've saved a fair bit of money if I had contacted someone selling used ones. 

I'll probably play it more solitaire than anything, but I think it may work out okay as a family game.  The youngsters really enjoy Dungeonquest and Dungeon (I don't enjoy the latter so much) so this should be a crowd pleaser with them.

New, updated rulebook that works for both games available here.  ;D

Not sure what you paid, but it looks like used copies on BGG are in the $35-$50 range.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 09, 2014, 05:45:19 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 08, 2014, 10:07:47 PM

New, updated rulebook that works for both games available here.  ;D

Not sure what you paid, but it looks like used copies on BGG are in the $35-$50 range.

Gravy.  Thanks! 

Turns out I had already downloaded it and forgotten.  Doah!

I picked up a new copy of the original for around $50.  I'm not averse to buying used copies of games if they're in great shape, and there looks to be a few for a decent savings.  I forgot to check there.  I also end up spending more on shipping for used games, so I'm not kicking myself.  It's always nice having fresh untouched components - especially when there are so many cards involved.

I have been kicking myself for not calling a local game store or two and checking to see if they had all the latest Sentinels of the Multiverse stuff, instead of just ordering from Amazon.  After extra shipping costs from Amazon and the ~10% discount I usually get at the local store, I'd probably end up paying the same price.  And not have to worry about a UPS driver, terrified of the snow on my street, leaving my shit on his truck for four-plus days in zero degree weather.  >:(

As for Tomb (the game), it was the large plethora of characters and cards that forced my hand.  I'm a sucker for dungeon crawls with a huge variety in those areas.  That goes for tabletop and digital games both.