The Quotable Groghead

Started by Jarhead0331, September 18, 2020, 01:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I love great quotes. Love using them. Love finding new ones. Love reading about the context behind them. I've found that as eloquent as I am capable of being, there is always someone who has said it better.

Thought it would be nice to post favorites here for reference and posterity.

I'm reading a new book on naval aviation and each chapter starts with a good quote...here are some I've read so far:

QuoteThose who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.

-Unknown

QuoteExperience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.

-Vernon Law

QuoteA diamond is a chunk of coal that is made good by applying pressure.

-Henry A. Kissinger

If you're going through hell, keep moving!

- Winston Churchill
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

^That first one is quite the kicker.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

-Jerry Seinfeld

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

My favorite is from my deceased Dad: "Those who can't think have to feel."

Sir Slash

I like the one about experience.  "Where the People fear the Government, there is Tyranny. Where the Government fears the People, there is Liberty". George Washington.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

al_infierno

Great idea for a thread!  I challenge anyone to find a more eloquently worded version of the Silent Disapproval Robot quote found in my sig.   8)

Not sure if film quotes are what you're really looking for, but here are a couple great ones that I feel are applicable:

QuoteA King may move a man, a father may claim a son, but remember that even when those who move you be Kings, or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus." Or that, "Virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.

- King Baldwin in Kingdom of Heaven

QuoteEvery day above ground is a good day.

- Mel Bernstein in Scarface
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse. When a people are used as mere human instruments for firing cannon or thrusting bayonets, in the service and for the selfish purposes of a master, such war degrades a people. A war to protect other human beings against tyrannical injustice; a war to give victory to their own ideas of right and good, and which is their own war, carried on for an honest purpose by their free choice, — is often the means of their regeneration. A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. As long as justice and injustice have not terminated their ever-renewing fight for ascendancy in the affairs of mankind, human beings must be willing, when need is, to do battle for the one against the other." 

-John Stuart Mill
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

airboy

"Beer is a sign God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys." PJ O'Rourke

Sir Slash

"The Contest is not always to the Strong, nor the race to the Swift. But that's the way to bet". Or words to that effect. Paul 'Bear' Bryant.  :notworthy:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Jarhead0331

QuoteNothing is quite as exhilarating as being shot at with no effect.

- Winston Churchill
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

al_infierno

;D  Winston Churchill may hold the title of 'Most Quotable Man Who Ever Lived.'
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

bobarossa

Quote from: al_infierno on October 19, 2020, 10:27:54 PM
;D  Winston Churchill may hold the title of 'Most Quotable Man Who Ever Lived.'
From a Great Insults email I received recently:

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
Winston Churchill

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one. "
George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one."
Winston Churchill, in response

Jarhead0331

Winston Churchill was most certainly the man. A rare breed.

MP Bessie Braddock: Winston, you are drunk, and what's more you are disgustingly drunk.

Winston Churchill: My dear, you are ugly, and what's more, you are disgustingly ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be disgustingly ugly."
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^One of my favorites, with the added zing of 'disgusting,' which I have never seen before.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

QuoteBetter crippled in body than corrupt in mind
Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader, page 182
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

al_infierno

"Your status as a doomed man lends your words a certain prestige and authority.  As the time nears, I think you'll find that people will be eager to hear what you have to say.  They will seek you out.  [...]  You can't let down the living by slipping into self-pity and despair.  People will depend on you to be brave.  What people look for in a dying friend is a stubborn kind of gavel-voiced nobility, a refusal to give in, with moments of indomitable humor."

- Don DeLillo, White Noise

- MengJiao