The Troop - WWII Turn based Tactical Game

Started by Zulu1966, October 15, 2021, 04:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

Finally beat the scenario.

Tried staying hidden as much as possible and only firing with the Shermans when I had a flank shot.

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 18, 2021, 06:10:49 PM
Finally beat the scenario.

Tried staying hidden as much as possible and only firing with the Shermans when I had a flank shot.

I'll have to try that. 

I tried it.  Hid in the orchard mostly.  Took every possible shot even with Shermans (but at the hull if I had the choice).  Had some very lucky hits and misses.  Only lost one M10 and had zero personnel loses (the crew bailed when the gun was knocked out and then the Germans finished the TD with a barrage of wasted shots, plus the smoke was extremely helpful versus approaches on the road to the orchard).  Whew!  After 8-9 tries!

Grim.Reaper

The Troop was released today into early access.....$40.  I'll probably hold off a bit as I am not sure I'll get that value out of it. 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363740/The_Troop/

Jarhead0331

The price point is a real surprise. It's well outside the mark of other games in its class/genre, particularly for early access. There seems to be a lot of surprise and disappointment over the price in the forums and in gaming facebook groups. There was a lot of excitement over this release and the price appears to have killed much of it. I think the developers made a fairly large mistake here and have turned off a lot of potential buyers. Would have been an instant buy in the $19 - $24 range.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 22, 2021, 09:16:24 AM
The price point is a real surprise. It's well outside the mark of other games in its class/genre, particularly for early access. There seems to be a lot of surprise and disappointment over the price in the forums and in gaming facebook groups. There was a lot of excitement over this release and the price appears to have killed much of it. I think the developers made a fairly large mistake here and have turned off a lot of potential buyers. Would have been an instant buy in the $19 - $24 range.

+1, instant buy at $25....  Doesn't seem feature rich enough to warrant $40. In holding pattern as well...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SirAndrewD

Oh my.  Yeah, I agree. 

I mean, I don't mind spending on new games, I'm a game whore, but that Demo isn't going to convince me to drop $40.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 22, 2021, 02:21:00 PM
Oh my.  Yeah, I agree. 

I mean, I don't mind spending on new games, I'm a game whore, but that Demo isn't going to convince me to drop $40.

There's more options and scenarios:

acctingman

20% off now, but I'll need that to be more for me to buy. Demo was fun though, but with Second Front coming out in a month...... :D

MengJiao

Quote from: acctingman on December 30, 2022, 10:44:52 PM
20% off now, but I'll need that to be more for me to buy. Demo was fun though, but with Second Front coming out in a month...... :D

There's Fireflies:

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

acctingman

Quote from: MengJiao on December 31, 2022, 12:55:38 PM
Quote from: acctingman on December 30, 2022, 10:44:52 PM

There's Fireflies:

Curse you!!  :knuppel2:

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

I picked it up during the sale. Still cost more than I initially thought this game should have been listed for, but so far I'm enjoying it. I'm only three missions in to the campaign, but so far, it feels like a pretty light strategy title that plays out fairly quickly. I mean this as a positive comment since these days I sometimes struggle to get into the deeper, more complex titles in the genre.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18