What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Interesting...land based torpedo launchers! Seems a little ridiculously overkill for the Germans to use a heavy cruiser in the fjords...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

The Blucher was part of the covering force for the German invasion of Norway.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The Free Poles and the French were also involved.  The story of the Polish submarine Orzel is an interesting one.  Shame she got sunk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORP_Orze%C5%82_%281938%29

Longdan

No mention of the screen door.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Longdan

Reading: Bloodlands  Timothy Snyder.  The story, not so well known in the West, of Eastern Europe between Hitler and Stalin before and during WW2.
And we thought the 1930's in Saskatchewan were rough!

TheCommandTent

Currently reading Cain at Gettysburg by Ralph Peters and playing some Scourge of War Gettysburg along with it.  Makes for an immersive experience.  :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Airborne Rifles

I enjoyed Cain at Gettysburg.  I appreciated someone telling the story from Meade's perspective for once.  He's one of the more underestimated generals of the Civil War IMO.

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

eyebiter

Roadside Picnic - Soviet era science fiction novel, later adapted into the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie and video game series.

bob48

Quote from: MetalDog on April 04, 2013, 05:47:18 AM
A sad note for Iain Banks fans:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/blogs/blog--writer-iain-banks-makes-a-very-sad-and-classy-announcement-that-hes-dying

That's very sad, I'm a big fan of his Culture books, and in fact I'm reading 'Look to Windward' at the moment. A great loss, and under such terrible circumstances.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Longdan

We are all gonna die.  Even me.  :P  I admire his courage and exit plan.  I won't have time for that when the bus runs me over in the ditch during my "nap".

Greybriar

Quote from: MetalDog on April 04, 2013, 05:47:18 AM
A sad note for Iain Banks fans:

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/blogs/blog--writer-iain-banks-makes-a-very-sad-and-classy-announcement-that-hes-dying

I think it's terrible when someone is informed they have a terminal illness. I really feel for the man. At least he is making the most of it by getting married and doing what he wants to do while he can.

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Bison

1939 in the Shadow of War by Robert Kee.  It's basically a rundown of the news and events.  Not sure how exciting it'll be but it was very interesting as I read it at the library.